Main Menu

Lucero

Started by e_wind, Jul 14, 2011, 03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e_wind

Any other fans on here? Lucero is without a doubt in my top 5 favorite bands. IMO they haven't come out with a bad album (and the newest one from 2009 is amazing), they tour relentlessly, their shows are still really cheap, and they put on a hell of a show. One of my favorite bands to be a fan of because of how much they give (tour wise). Not to mention they're super nice, cool guys. I think I've seen them more than MMJ, making them the band I've seen the most.

Lucero - Raisin' Hell

some of my favorite lyrics ever. written about his grandpa, reminds me of my grandpa:
Lucero The War

An AWESOME Jawbreaker Cover -
Kiss The Bottle- Lucero (Studio)
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

mograyback

Yeah man, I've been into Lucero for a long time. 

I've seen them in St. Louis, Columbia MO, Milwaukee, and Bonnaroo.

They are one of my top 5 bands as well.

Penny Lane

FYI-- they're playing a secret gig at the Mercury Lounge tomorrow night and tix are still available (under "Nobody's Darlings")  ;)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

e_wind

Their new record - Women and Work - leaked today. Ive read tht its going in the same direction as Overton Park, so I'm STOKED to hear it. any fans of rock and roll complete with all the southern bells and whistles should check out Overton Park. IMO, they've become the new Springsteen. Bold, I know.

Fully

Have you listened to it yet, Eric? A little sendspace love would be appreciated if you have it. ;)

Penny Lane

it's pretty good, def not up there with my favorites (Tennessee and Nobody's Darlings). I def love the first song (for some reason songs 1 and 2 are the same--1 is the intro?). GREATLY addictive....'on my way downtown' also the gospel song on is great. Horns are throughout but I dont' think as much as Overton..

sweatboard

I really love the piano on this record.
There's Still Time.........

e_wind

trying to find it right now....  have to say that my absolute favorite is Overton. I've been following this band since I was in my early teens, and I'm as surprised as everyone else to say that their newest record (i guess not anymore) is their best. I am however a big fan of all of their records. San Francisco, The War, Raising Hell, Last Night in Town, and Chain Link Fence are my 5 favorite songs - none of which are on Overton. Can't wait to listen to this new record non stop for the next couple days. I'm actually bummed that im going to see Radiohead the same day that they play here (tomorrow)

Fully

Quote from: e_wind on Mar 08, 2012, 02:21 PM
trying to find it right now....  have to say that my absolute favorite is Overton. I've been following this band since I was in my early teens, and I'm as surprised as everyone else to say that their newest record (i guess not anymore) is their best. I am however a big fan of all of their records. San Francisco, The War, Raising Hell, Last Night in Town, and Chain Link Fence are my 5 favorite songs - none of which are on Overton. Can't wait to listen to this new record non stop for the next couple days. I'm actually bummed that im going to see Radiohead the same day that they play here (tomorrow)
Where are they playing, Eric? If I can, I'll drive up for that. (Probably can't. Sometimes being a responsible parent has it's downside. :-\ )

e_wind

Lucero is playing at headliners.  Almost sold out as of earlier today. I'm going to see Radiohead in st louis

Penny Lane

Quote from: e_wind on Mar 08, 2012, 07:06 PM
Lucero is playing at headliners.  Almost sold out as of earlier today. I'm going to see Radiohead in st louis

they tweeted today that they released more tix for this show..

e_wind

i've listened to W and W almost all the way through and have to say... dissappointed after first listen. *most* albums are growers, so i'm gonna give it a fair 5 or so more listens, but overton park was an immediate love

wolof7

Women and Work is playing on www.spinner.com . I really like it, of course this is my first foray into the band so I have nothing to really compare it to. I am very excited to see them with J. Roddy next month (that show was announced in late Dec and it is taking forever to get here)....

....My fav tracks so far are actually the "slower" tunes (It May be too Late / Who You Waiting On ) but have enjoyed the album as a whole. To me it is a fun country bar / rock band...interested in hearing their punk roots...obv this album is modelled after Memphis soul which is vastly different than punk....

....are they taking a horn section on tour? Every song has horns in it
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Shug

I've never gotten into Lucero and I lived in Memphis for 3 years! (2003-2005).  Singer's voice and a bit of punk roughness in their music always has kept me away.

It seems they are getting more and more soulful with the horns on the last two albums, so that's bringing things more in my direction.  Add in the rootsy sound and Nichols starts sounding more like Steve Earle, which is a good thing in my book.

I've heard they are really good live, so I'm gonna finally take the plunge next week when they play Phoenix, looking forward to it.

Just like wolof, I want to know if they are touring with the horns?  That would be a great surprise, but I doubt they will due to the expense.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

e_wind

Last time I saw them they had two horns. But then at a festival on the same tour they didnt

Shug

Saw Lucero for the first time in Phoenix last night.  The place was packed out on a Monday, which is impressive in this city that can be kinda lame for live music appreciation.

They had a sax and a trumpet playing on almost every song, pedal steel and electric piano, too.  The sound was very much a Southern soul ensemble, only thing missing was female backing vocals.  I was really into the show, especially digging the newer songs, no surprise there, their new stylistic direction is right up my alley.  I'd have a hard time with his vocals if the other instruments didn't sweeten the sound up, but as it was, I was into it.

Ben Nichols is a good frontman, he kept thanking the energetic crowd for coming out on a Monday, he must've heard PHX crowds can be weak and he seemed genuinely surprised and appreciative.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

GO4IT

Anybody going to the Lucero - J. Roddy show at the 9:30 club in DC on April 25?

GO4IT

MrWhippy

Quote from: GO4IT on Mar 21, 2012, 10:11 PM
Anybody going to the Lucero - J. Roddy show at the 9:30 club in DC on April 25?

I'm, thinking about it.  Trying to decide between going to that or Rammstein in Baltimore that night.  Would be two pretty different experiences. 

I'd be more motivated about the Lucero/J. Roddy show if I hadn't recently seen both bands at the 9:30 club opening for the Drive-By Truckers.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

e_wind

Didnt Deer Tick get added to that show? That should motivate you