Billboard article -- T5 Vinyl Box Set!!

Started by kydiddle, Aug 02, 2011, 07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kydiddle

Is this posted anywhere else?

http://www.billboard.com/news/my-morning-jacket-to-dig-deeper-on-new-tour-1005300932.story#/news/my-morning-jacket-to-dig-deeper-on-new-tour-1005300932.story

With "Circuital" out, My Morning Jacket is making a few future plans. The Terminal 5 catalog shows, Hallahan says, were recorded and will likely be released as a vinyl box set and possibly as digital downloads. "We're looking to release 'em at some point. We just have a lot of listening to do, five nights of two and a half hour sets," he says.
Cow temperature.

woodnymph

Quote from: kydiddle on Aug 02, 2011, 07:22 PM
Is this posted anywhere else?

http://www.billboard.com/news/my-morning-jacket-to-dig-deeper-on-new-tour-1005300932.story#/news/my-morning-jacket-to-dig-deeper-on-new-tour-1005300932.story

With "Circuital" out, My Morning Jacket is making a few future plans. The Terminal 5 catalog shows, Hallahan says, were recorded and will likely be released as a vinyl box set and possibly as digital downloads. "We're looking to release 'em at some point. We just have a lot of listening to do, five nights of two and a half hour sets," he says.

Holy MOSES!!!  I haven't been the most up-to-speed, but I've heard rumors!!  To see it in that fine bold print makes my heart beat much faster!!!   :D :D :D
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

searchinbig

I think they should release every show in it's entirety. May be impossible to do and costly but that is the way the shows were meant to be heard from the beginning.

Is the market there? Complete shows on vinyl? Lots of questions to answer.

I say complete, maybe release one night every few months or so. Fingers crossed.  :)
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

Im The Dude

Quote from: searchinbig on Aug 02, 2011, 07:35 PM
I think they should release every show in it's entirety. May be impossible to do and costly but that is the way the shows were meant to be heard from the beginning.

Is the market there? Complete shows on vinyl? Lots of questions to answer.

I say complete, maybe release one night every few months or so. Fingers crossed.  :)

One a month w/download. I'd hope to see it given the proper release.
7/9/03 6/8/04 10/4/08 5/2/10 8/27/10 10/18--10/23/10(T5) 8/10/11 8/12/11

subinai

one a month would be the easiest on my bank account.

notdarkyet

i guess they figure it is too much of a specialty to bother releasing on CD?  in terms of cost that makes sense.  vinyl for the hardcore and it costs them hardly anything to release digitally.  hopefully, they'll put out a lossless format download.  anyway, that sucks, because i don't do vinyl and while i would get the digital download, i really like physical product...

-justin

mahg33ta

Just as interesting to me is the paragraph about how they pick the setlists:

Hallahan explains that My Morning Jacket -- which begins its tour Tuesday (Aug. 2) in St. Louis -- tends to seek a "template" set list "where we're real happy with the flow" and then making adjustments on subsequent nights. He says the group does look up old set lists for the last time it played in a particular city to avoid duplicating rarities and one-offs. Then, on a rotating basis, each band member gets to choose two rarities for a particular show and the rest of the band votes on one to play.

"A lot of it is about whatever we're feeling," Hallahan adds. "If it's a Friday night we might step it up a little bit. If it's a crowd we've known historically as a little more dancey or... enthusiastic, we throw in a few more upbeat tunes. It depends on the evening. We don't really know what we're going to do until we get there and feel the energy of the space."

scosby2

this is wonderful news!!! T5 on vinyl...i have actually prayed about this

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: mahg33ta on Aug 03, 2011, 09:43 AM
Just as interesting to me is the paragraph about how they pick the setlists:

Hallahan explains that My Morning Jacket -- which begins its tour Tuesday (Aug. 2) in St. Louis -- tends to seek a "template" set list "where we're real happy with the flow" and then making adjustments on subsequent nights. He says the group does look up old set lists for the last time it played in a particular city to avoid duplicating rarities and one-offs. Then, on a rotating basis, each band member gets to choose two rarities for a particular show and the rest of the band votes on one to play.

"A lot of it is about whatever we're feeling," Hallahan adds. "If it's a Friday night we might step it up a little bit. If it's a crowd we've known historically as a little more dancey or... enthusiastic, we throw in a few more upbeat tunes. It depends on the evening. We don't really know what we're going to do until we get there and feel the energy of the space."

That was my favorite part as well! :thumbsup:
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

Jeff Murray

A staggered vinyl release with a final "storage box" would be very appreciated by my credit card! 
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??

capt. scotty

i dont have a record player.

please gimme digital. please gimme digital. please gimme digital.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Im The Dude

Quote from: capt. scotty on Aug 03, 2011, 11:17 PM

Vinyl is the wave of the future Scotty!
7/9/03 6/8/04 10/4/08 5/2/10 8/27/10 10/18--10/23/10(T5) 8/10/11 8/12/11

YouAre_GivenToFly

A cheapo record player would likely cost less than half of what this box set will.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

crowesfan13

Read about this earlier. Fuckin psyched. I really want to hear At Dawn and It Still Moves. Hell, I want to hear all of it. Also read Jacket is judging a songwriting competition here is a link for that: www.songwritingcompetition.com

robb

Quote from: mahg33ta on Aug 03, 2011, 09:43 AM
He says the group does look up old set lists for the last time it played in a particular city to avoid duplicating rarities and one-offs. Then, on a rotating basis, each band member gets to choose two rarities for a particular show and the rest of the band votes on one to play.

that's pretty interesting, but it just killed my hopes of getting cobra or all of run thru at meadow brook :(.
some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

manonthemoon

Best news in a while, can't wait for this set.
Alive or Just Breathing

mjk73

With you on this. I actually do not like vinyl.

Somey

Do you think it's going to be the full shows including all cover songs from each night? Either way gonna be dope can't wait to have a nice clean audio of shows I was at.

searchinbig

My guess is that they will offer a best of the 5 nights on vinyl (good luck picking those tunes!!) and offer the full shows as digital downloads. Don't know if that makes sense or not. Either way, can't wait!!
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

ericm

Quote from: searchinbig on Aug 08, 2011, 09:34 AM
My guess is that they will offer a best of the 5 nights on vinyl (good luck picking those tunes!!) and offer the full shows as digital downloads. Don't know if that makes sense or not. Either way, can't wait!!

Gotta disagree with you here searchin on the "best of 5 nights"......that would most likely be a single or double album at most.Patrick is quoted as saying a "box set" which to me implies more than an album or two. I could see a "best of" each night album, but I'm hoping for each night in it's entirety.
"Where's Jim going?"