AMERICAN MASTERS | Pearl Jam Twenty--coming in October to PBS

Started by Tracy 2112, Aug 03, 2011, 02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALady

I agree, I thought it was great fun, touching at times, and overall really well done.  Loved the older footage, the Green River and Mother Love Bone footage especially.  Loved seeing the dynamics between the band members.  It's funny realizing a band (or anything, really) has been part of your consciousness for TWENTY YEARS. 

Only one nitpick, not even a mention of Boom and how he came to join up with them?  I know he's not an "official" band member, but sheesh, poor guy!  He's been with them for years!

Also pretty sure I'm in the Philly Spectrum footage   ;)
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Clarkwork

Quote from: ChiefOKONO on Sep 21, 2011, 01:36 PM
Loved it.. really really well made.  What a story! i can't believe it's been 20 years.
i want to see some of the bonus stuff now.
loved all the early stuff, temple of the dog and learning all the things i didn't know about them and of course the drunken mtv gig where eddie was cursing all over the place, that ruled!

I remember watching and taping that original broadcast.  Thought it was amazing and I loved their performance.  I had always wondered what was going on with Eddie that night though he was out of his mind. 
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

ALady

I thought that was an industry party or something...?

ChiefOKONO

yeah maybe it was an industry show, i forget but it was pretty epic regardless!

Clarkwork

It was on MTV, you can watch the performances on youtube.  Eddie is out of his mind. 

ALady

Dang, they made it sound like it was a private event that wasn't broadcast.  How did they ever air that??   ;D

Ah - I see.  I was confused:

Crowe begged the band to play the private release party in Los Angeles, which was to be filmed by MTV to give the film a commercial boost on its release.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/09/10/idUS86408943920110910

sweatboard

I asked him if in a way, that wasn't always the point – to move beyond making "just music," to something deeper.

"Yeah" he said "but it's like catching a butterfly, you can't grab it too hard"

I love Eddie so much. 
There's Still Time.........

buymycar

Quote from: ALady on Sep 21, 2011, 01:56 PM

Only one nitpick, not even a mention of Boom and how he came to join up with them?  I know he's not an "official" band member, but sheesh, poor guy!  He's been with them for years!

I read on one of the PJ boards that Boom's footage was left on the cutting room floor.  It'll probably be on the DVD release.

ralph

I may be in the minority but I was pretty disappointed. It came across as an absolute puff piece, skimming over all the bits of the bands history that may not paint the members in a positive light. I mean devoting 90 seconds to the former drummers was an absolute disgrace.  Both Dave's played an integral part in the bands sound on the first three records and their names are mentioned once? Come on, thats just downright disrespectful. And no real mention at all about how they make their 'art', about the process, the collaboration and the decision making. Booooo....  >:(

Could have been soooo much more...

(in saying that, I still bought the 3 disc deluxe set, so I must have liked it a bit!)

At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

ALady

I think the real meat will be in the outtakes, but I can agree with that, Dave - it was definitely a love letter rather than a critique.  They barely touched on Mike's addiction issues (despite how obvious they were just judging by his changes in appearance), and aside from mentioning that they'd transitioned from "Stone's band" to "Ed's band" they didn't really get into any major personality clashes (and you know there had to be some).

weeniebeenie

Quote from: ALady on Sep 22, 2011, 12:52 PM
I think the real meat will be in the outtakes, but I can agree with that, Dave - it was definitely a love letter rather than a critique.  They barely touched on Mike's addiction issues (despite how obvious they were just judging by his changes in appearance), and aside from mentioning that they'd transitioned from "Stone's band" to "Ed's band" they didn't really get into any major personality clashes (and you know there had to be some).
It was Stones fault... ;)
How loud can silence get?

buymycar

They barely touched on Mike's addiction issues (despite how obvious they were just judging by his changes in appearance)

How awesome was Cornell's description of McCready?

ALady

Quote from: weeniebeenie on Sep 22, 2011, 10:40 PM

;D  weenie, my friend and I turned to each other to say that a few times!

buy, I don't remember Cornell's description of McCready...refresh me?

buymycar

Quote from: ALady on Sep 23, 2011, 12:45 PM

He's a rock star.  He's fucked up.  He's got something truly bad inside of him and one of these days he's just going to let it out again.

I'm paraphrasing here.   :)

e_wind

I just finally got my PJ20 book in the mail. its awesome! 80 bucks for a DVD though, oof...
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

sweatboard

Quote from: buymycar on Sep 24, 2011, 03:30 AM
Quote from: ALady on Sep 23, 2011, 12:45 PM

He's a rock star.  He's fucked up.  He's got something truly bad inside of him and one of these days he's just going to let it out again.

I'm paraphrasing here.   :)

Huge fan of Mike

Down...

Down,... Fell by the wayside
No getting out

Down,... Cry me a river
Dried up and damned

The names,... Can be changed
But the place,... Is still the same

I am loaded, told that alls for naught
Holds me down

Rise,... Life is in motion
I'm stuck in line

Rise,... You cant be neutral
On a moving train

One day,... The symptoms fade
Think I'll throw,... these fuckin' pills away

And if hope could grow from dirt like me
It can be done
Wont let the light escape from me

Pearl Jam - Down
There's Still Time.........

woodnymph

Just had Down on earlier today!  :thumbsup:  Def. great stuff
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

he.who.forgets

For those with Comcast Cable, this film is available On-Demand for $6.99 if you havent already seen it or dont want to wait for PBS. (Go to Movies, then Same Day as Theatres)

APR

I wish the movie were longer because it was so great and because there is a lot of material/songs to include.  However, the PJ 20 book has tons of details and discusses the drummer situations every time a change was made.  It's interesting that Krusen, Chamberlin, and Irons are all quoted in the book a decent amount, but Dave A is not.  After reading the book, you can understand why.  Jim James has two quotes in the book as well.  He is the man.

I'd bet that if PJ didn't have the final approval on content or the book was written by a non fan, then there would be more gossip type stuff.  Clearly Pearl Jam is not interested in that and never have been.  Cameron Crowe is incredible and made a great movie.  I can't wait to see the extras on the DVD.

Clarkwork

I was disappointed in the film.  It seemed to just skim over everything and not offer any real detail.  Maybe being such a big PJ fan I felt I have already heard a lot of the information, but I just wished it would have gone through more info.  They could have spent 2 hours on how PJ formed.  That was the most interesting to me.

It did bring back a lot of memories though about that time in music.  Such a great time in the early 90's.  We need a film dedicated to that time of music.