AMERICAN MASTERS | Pearl Jam Twenty--coming in October to PBS

Started by Tracy 2112, Aug 03, 2011, 02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

ophidiophobia

Thanks for the update. I been wanting to watch this. Not a big Pearl Jam fan but this seems interesting.

e_wind

Just got done watching it. People said it was bad? Nothing I watch/hear/read about this band makes me like them any less. The entire time I was watching I felt guilty for feeling so strongly about them, like I was cheating on the jacket.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

tdb810

Quote from: ChiefOKONO on Sep 21, 2011, 01:36 PM
Loved it.. really really well made.  What a story! i can't believe it's been 20 years.
i want to see some of the bonus stuff now.
loved all the early stuff, temple of the dog and learning all the things i didn't know about them and of course the drunken mtv gig where eddie was cursing all over the place, that ruled!
i'm with you...i really enjoyed seeing so much of that footage i had never seen before.  :thumbsup:
.....Back at the Model Home

APR

So much great footage and pretty candid comments by the band.  They are all very likable people with integrity while putting out incredible music.  I thought the movie was outstanding, but I've been a giant PJ fan since '92.  I wonder what not big fans thought of the film and the band?  Any comments ophidiphobia?

Additional great comment by e_wind regarding cheating on the Jacket.  I've felt like that way in reverse recently......  I feel so strongly about MMJ the past several years... just as I have about PJ all these last many, many years.

Jon T.

Quote from: APR on Oct 22, 2011, 11:05 PM
So much great footage and pretty candid comments by the band.  They are all very likable people with integrity while putting out incredible music.  I thought the movie was outstanding, but I've been a giant PJ fan since '92.  I wonder what not big fans thought of the film and the band?  Any comments ophidiphobia?

Additional great comment by e_wind regarding cheating on the Jacket.  I've felt like that way in reverse recently......  I feel so strongly about MMJ the past several years... just as I have about PJ all these last many, many years.
I'm not a huge fan of the band.  I'm only familiar with probably less than half of their studio output.  But, oddly I respect them more than any band I've known.  I felt that way before watching this, and this only confirmed my feeling.  Ed seems like the most sincere, genuine person on this earth. Wish there were more people like him. 

e_wind

I'm young, born only moths before PJs first show, but they have been the only band that I have loved or as long as I can remember. So, to clarify, I have always loved Ed and Co, but since my first Jacket show, MMJ has really stolen my heart. PJ and MMJ are, and always will be, my loves - with MMJ just slightly lovelier.  :)

After that documentary though, I feel like PJ may be the greatest band/people of all time.

Fully

I've only seen PJ live once and it was an amazing experience. The crowd participation contributed highly to it. Watching the documentary, I enjoyed seeing the years when Eddie would climb up into the lights. I had forgotten about that. It was really interesting seeing how the band had evolved and settled into their career as well. The music was so good. When I was growing up, there were so many older rock bands that still had great careers. Now it seems as if PJ is one of the few from the glory days when rock ruled music that still have a legitimate, non nostalgic career.

APR

From what I have read and heard (interviews), it seems like MMJ's and PJ's personalities are fairly similar..... very likable and nice people.  No one in either group seems to have an ego.  They just love music and making music.  It's about the music period.

In addition, every time I read about a fan's encounter with a member of PJ or MMJ, it is always a positive experience for that person.  The bands are full of people that appreciate their fans and seem to be happy saying saying hello.

Besides the music rocking, evolving, and constantly being incredible, the above reasons just add to my passion towards both bands.

Another similarity.....both bands have collaborated with tons of  other musicians on stage or on albums.  Eddie is always popping up on stage with other bands, and he invites others to join him/PJ all the time.  MMJ too (Badu, Andrew Bird, PHJBand, etc.).  Of course, the greatest ever is when Eddie joined MMJ for A Quick One, which is included in PJ's 2006 DVD from their Italy tour.

e_wind

Fellow 10C -ers. I didn't order the Delux DVD cause I didn't have the $. Does anyone know if it will be released to public?

sweatboard

Quote from: e_wind on Oct 25, 2011, 11:42 AM
Fellow 10C -ers. I didn't order the Delux DVD cause I didn't have the $. Does anyone know if it will be released to public?

From my understanding it won't, it's supposed to be a limited edition.  Whatever that means.
There's Still Time.........

e_wind

Ha limited edition DVD. Sounds like a the 10 club to me. Oh well that's what eBay is for

mahg33ta

Quote from: e_wind on Oct 25, 2011, 12:34 PM
Ha limited edition DVD. Sounds like a the 10 club to me. Oh well that's what eBay is for

yeah, from what I gather it's sold out.   I'd love to see the extra footage too- if anyone has one they can part with for the weekend, I'll pay for the shipping and return it w/ a poster...

or if someone (e_wind?) finds one on ebay and wants to split the cost, I'd be up for that.   I just want to see it, don't need to own it.

e_wind

I'm in The same boat. I'm just ginna upload it to iTunes and watch on apple tv anyhow

he.who.forgets

Yea, there was quite the bitching over at 10c over just how "limited" the deluxe version was. I just ordered the standard, couldnt justify $60

ophidiophobia

It's taken me a few sittings to get through the movie, but I really enjoyed it. I think the strength of the film lies in all the archived video footage. The footage showed the mental and physical changes that have taken place in the last 20 years. I have always been a fan of Eddie's voice but sometimes his political nature puts me off. The scene were he wore the Bush mask and then seemed shocked to the crowd's reaction justified my thoughts. I didn't realize that Vedder wasn't the original lead singer for the band. Another thing I learned was that Chris Cornell was the other singer in the Hunger Strike song. It makes sense now but I never realized it until yesterday. Overall, I reallly enjoyed the film; I thought Crowe did an excellent job. I'll probably try to find some more PJ music since I don't know much other than 10 and a few hits, any suggestions?

Ghosts_on_TV

Quote from: ophidiophobia on Oct 25, 2011, 10:37 PM
It's taken me a few sittings to get through the movie, but I really enjoyed it. I think the strength of the film lies in all the archived video footage. The footage showed the mental and physical changes that have taken place in the last 20 years. I have always been a fan of Eddie's voice but sometimes his political nature puts me off. The scene were he wore the Bush mask and then seemed shocked to the crowd's reaction justified my thoughts. I didn't realize that Vedder wasn't the original lead singer for the band. Another thing I learned was that Chris Cornell was the other singer in the Hunger Strike song. It makes sense now but I never realized it until yesterday. Overall, I reallly enjoyed the film; I thought Crowe did an excellent job. I'll probably try to find some more PJ music since I don't know much other than 10 and a few hits, any suggestions?

Eddie is absolutely the original lead singer of pearl jam.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: ralph on Sep 22, 2011, 05:06 AM
I may be in the minority but I was pretty disappointed. It came across as an absolute puff piece, skimming over all the bits of the bands history that may not paint the members in a positive light. I mean devoting 90 seconds to the former drummers was an absolute disgrace.  Both Dave's played an integral part in the bands sound on the first three records and their names are mentioned once? Come on, thats just downright disrespectful. And no real mention at all about how they make their 'art', about the process, the collaboration and the decision making. Booooo....  >:(

Could have been soooo much more...

(in saying that, I still bought the 3 disc deluxe set, so I must have liked it a bit!)

Just watched this a couple days ago and agree with this. They could've gone more in-depth - more info on why they went though so many drummers and their various situations, more interviews with other people (like producers talking about the recording process), instead of just Chris Cornell and old Kurt Cobain interviews, more info on each album's release and the critics/fans reaction to them. I remembered the trailer having a segment with David Lynch interviewing Eddie and they ended up cutting him almost entirely out. I guess they wanted to keep this 2 hours long, but they could've benefitted from a longer film. Tom Petty's Running Down A Dream film is a good example of a long, detailed film about a band. How much bonus content is on the 3 disc version?
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

sweatboard

I'm still waiting on my blueray deluxe edition. If they don't talk about the drummers that came and went then I'm going to be let down. If they don't have footage of the sound check of "Present Tense" from the 97 show in San Francisco why even bother with this piece of shit?

I guess I've just come to the realization that it's going to be us bitching about MMJ's DVD in 10 years.  I'll be like......"No footage of THE PLANITARIUM SHOW" WTF!!!  ;D
There's Still Time.........

e_wind

ya know, I've made a lot of bad mistakes with pearl jam and eddie vedder in the past,  but those days are over... Ive seen MMJ & Co 20+ times now, and from now on Eddie and PJ shows will take precedence, no matter the price. Or, however many MMJ shows I have to miss for that matter. I missed 1 PJ show in 2010 for MMJ, 1 EV show for MMJ in 2011, and PJ(motherfuc.kin)20 for MMJ on 2011. I love MMJ more than anything, but they're young compared to PJ...