8/27--Ten turns 20 today!

Started by Clarkwork, Aug 27, 2011, 08:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clarkwork

Pearl Jam's ten turns 20 today.  I just listened to it again this morning and it's still one of the greatest albums ever.  Holds up perfectly. 

When it came out I was just going into my senior year of high school.  A friend of mine turned me on the them and I have been a fan ever since.

That friend later committed suicide a few years later.  So the album always reminds me of him. 

Anybody else with memories of it??
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

lucylew

I have memories of listening to that album over and over for days on end.

Before the dates for PJ20 feset were announced, I scheduled yesterday and Monday off of work thinking it would be this weekend.  Nope.  But on the plus side - two four day weekends in a row!

Happy Anniversary PJ!

mjk73

Goodness, this is 20? I feel really old now.

So many great times with this album. So many bittersweet memories also.

YouAre_GivenToFly

I was 4 years old when this came out so I don't quite remember the release... but my parents were cool enough to get it for me for Christmas in 1997. I loved that album and PJ was my favorite band by a wide margin for most of high school.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

the_wizzard

I was a junior in high school when it was released. I have a very distinct memory of the first time I heard Jeremy: I was pulling into the parent's garage after spending the day being a groupie for my friends garage band and on my way home I heard it on the radio and thought, "hmmm, that guy really sounds like Chris." I always laugh that I thought Eddie sounded like Chris, when in fact it was probably more like Chris trying to sound like Eddie  ;D

mjk73

Not to get too personal, but my first fiance liked having Black and Release Me in a mix we had for ummm adult activities. It's difficult to listen to both songs to this day. However, Porch may be my favorite PJ song.

e_wind

I had only just had my first birthday when 10 came out. My brother, however, was always a huge Pearl Jam fan since day one. Growing up I wasn't allowed in the room unless I could tell him who was in the poster he had on his wall (Eddie Vedder). My brother is 10 years older than me so he was too old for me to hang out with, but I definitely pulled Pearl Jam from him. I remember other PJ moments, like the only time I've seen my brother cry. He was in highschool and his best friend died in a car accident. He didn't do anything but listen to Last Kiss (ha).

I defenitly grew up in a pearl jam home, and they were my favorite band my whole life until April 21st 2010 - the first time I saw MMJ live.

I was actually thinking yesterday, what is it that both PJ and mMJ have that draw so many pj fans to MMJ? I think that they're two of the only bands still writing and touring that play true live rock and roll shows. While they don't sound alike, they both posses a huge intensity that no other rock bands of today have (excluding metal, punk, etc.)
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

iLikeBeer

Quote from: mjk73 on Aug 27, 2011, 10:27 AM
Goodness, this is 20? I feel really old now.

So many great times with this album. So many bittersweet memories also.

I was just having this conversation with my wife about some of the music I grew up on being 20-25 years old now?!  I was having a hard time comprehending that the music I grew up on is now as old as albums like the Dead's American Beauty or Europe '72 when I first started getting into the Dead or bands like  The VU or even the Beatles and the Stones?! 

Kind of surreal to think about in a way...

Jaimoe

I was pretty depressed regarding the state of rock in the late '80s and beginning of the '90s. But then I heard "Alive" and immediately felt excited about rock again.

ALady

I was 14 when Ten came out.  Talk about an adolescence-defining album.

I remember they played a free show at the Marquette student union around that time; I somehow got a ticket but my parents wouldn't let me go unless my older brother went with me.  At the last minute he got a date and bailed.  It still stings.  ;D
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Jaimoe

I remember being shocked, in a good way, that a non-metal rock band was actually playing and embracing guitar solos. The '80s "alt" rock scene (including a good chunk of the '90s) was nearly devoid of solos (not including the metal heads).

sweatboard

So much heart and passion, I wasn't sure I would ever find a band I loved as much....but then I did  :)
There's Still Time.........

Clarkwork

Quote from: sweatboard on Aug 28, 2011, 08:07 AM
So much heart and passion, I wasn't sure I would ever find a band I loved as much....but then I did  :)

My feeling exactly!
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

Jaimoe

Praise aside, I'm around 15 years in to being sick to death of most songs off of Ten. Overplaying early on remains the culprit.

lucylew

I hear you.  They're my favorite band (although MMJ definitely gives 'em a run for the money) and I haven't heard that album for over a decade.  Same with Vs.  I just can't do it.  Live, the songs rule - but I won't be listening to the album anytime soon.

I've found that I can only listen to PJ's studio material until the live stuff comes out.  After that it is live all the way.