Wilco - The Whole Love

Started by bold99, Sep 03, 2011, 10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bold992006

Quote from: el_chode on Sep 08, 2011, 09:52 PM
Listened to it twice while in traffic. Didn't skip a song, had a few standouts, like it way more than the Album, not sure where to rank it in favorites. What I do know is that it's definitely more of a successor to Ghost than anything, but also sounds the furthest away from AM than anything too (as in it's a strange juxtaposition, not a quality comparison). It's like they're truly a new band, which makes sense given the time span.

Full disclosure, I was totally underwhelmed by Sky Blue Sky when I first heard it, then within a month it shot to one of my favorite Wilco albums. Ghost is one of my least favorite "albums". I view it as a collection of 12 awesome songs, many of which are my most favorite Wilco songs of all.

I agree.....Sky Blue Sky took me a little while but it ranks up there with my favorite Wilco albums.  I always find myself going back to it.

I like Ghost Is Born enought...I think there are some great live songs there but not my favorite album.

Really loving this new one.  People are trying to pinpoint it...trying to compare it to past album which I get but I just think it is its own thing.  I love Born Alone, Art of Almost, and Dawned on me...and I'm liking the other songs more and more.  I think this one will rank pretty high with me.

ALady

Wow, I haven't seen this much love for SBS...well, anywhere.  Interesting how opinions differ in different forums...
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

bold992006

Quote from: ALady on Sep 09, 2011, 02:27 PM
Wow, I haven't seen this much love for SBS...well, anywhere.  Interesting how opinions differ in different forums...

This Thread made me listen to it again today...Love it so much.  That was also my favorite Wilco tour after that album came out...I think that is when the band really started to click with the newer guys.

vespachick

Quote from: headhunter on Sep 09, 2011, 09:02 AM
I loved Sky Blue right out of the gate. And still do.  ....... the live Kicking Television, especially the vinyl box set which has 7 extra songs that never made it on to the 2 cd set.

Me too!  These are the only 2 albums of Wilco that I own on vinyl.  It's all I need.  For now.   :beer:
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

1eyed_jack

I think sky blue sky is just bashed because the expectations were so high!

looking back on it though

You are my face
Impossible Germany
Side with Seeds

Are all fantastic songs that I couldn't imagine seeing them live without hearing them!

It's a good album, just underwhelming comparatively, but much like Evil Urges, as time passes it will find a nice niche in the bands catalog

YouAre_GivenToFly

The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

el_chode

Quote from: 1eyed_jack on Sep 12, 2011, 03:49 PM

You are my face
Impossible Germany
Side with Seeds

Are all fantastic songs that I couldn't imagine seeing them live without hearing them!

It's a good album, just underwhelming comparatively, but much like Evil Urges, as time passes it will find a nice niche in the bands catalog

Really? I think "the album" is their EU.

Also, is that Spinto reference as your avatar or am I just looking into it too much?
I'm surrounded by assholes

headhunter

just got my tix in the mail today for the wilco show next week in central park.
seeing them on both thursday and friday.
gonna be a good week.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

1eyed_jack

Quote from: el_chode on Sep 12, 2011, 07:53 PM
Quote from: 1eyed_jack on Sep 12, 2011, 03:49 PM

You are my face
Impossible Germany
Side with Seeds

Really? I think "the album" is their EU.

Also, is that Spinto reference as your avatar or am I just looking into it too much?

It's a vonnegut reference actually!

I suppose "the album" could be their evil urges, but I think it fits with the rest of their catalog better than SBS it just isn't as good. It all depends on which songs you're looking at I suppose. I like "the album" as well as Evil Urges and SBS haha.

They aren't as good as those bands earlier (and most recent) efforts, but they took chances and it still makes for a fun listen and a more diverse catalog of songs

el_chode

See SBS to me feels warm and fluid, while the Album feels like a collection of outtakes with no real flow. It's like a reverse Circuital/EU I guess.

This new album really slides in well between Ghost and SBS for me. If it were a beer, it'd be an Oak Aged IPA. While it's definitely got some of that delicious edgy bitterness, the way and time it took to get to this point mellows it out in all the right places.

In fact, I'd equate it to this - my new favorite beer of the moment:

bold992006

Quote from: el_chode on Sep 13, 2011, 12:41 AM
See SBS to me feels warm and fluid, while the Album feels like a collection of outtakes with no real flow. It's like a reverse Circuital/EU I guess.

This new album really slides in well between Ghost and SBS for me. If it were a beer, it'd be an Oak Aged IPA. While it's definitely got some of that delicious edgy bitterness, the way and time it took to get to this point mellows it out in all the right places.

In fact, I'd equate it to this - my new favorite beer of the moment:

I agree...SBS is so perfect to me.  Perfect for the time it came out and just so solid.  I would say it is the complete opposite of Circuital/EU...those albums are...well not really sure what the hell those albums are.  Where SBS for Wilco was a little bit of going back to their roots.  The Album to me is their worst album...It doesn't really work for me but that being said there are some great songs.

Jahmazed

Just got a couple listens in today.. first thought is epic tracks like with Art of Almost at one end and One Sunday Morning at the other it's like an awesome Wilco sandwich that will take some time to digest  ;D

el_chode

I'm also adding that they picked an excellent song to close the album. The way the song mellows out is perfect

bold992006

Opening night of the tour last night...the first 5 songs would blow my mind....great set.

On @ 9:22 p.m.

Art Of Almost
I Might
Misunderstood - 28 nothing's
At Least That's What You Said
Bull Black Nova
In A Future Age
I Am Trying To Break Your Heart
Handshake Drugs
War On War
Born Alone
Your Are My Face
Impossible Germany
Via Chicago
Dawned On Me
I'm Always In Love
Shot In The Arm
----
Hummingbird
The Whole Love
Jesus, Etc. - Jeff Sang
Walken
I'm The Man Who Loves You

off @ 11:12 p.m.

Sidus

I've listened to the album twice now, and it seems it will take some time to digest ;). It's not a direct hit certainly, but I guess that hasn't been the case with any Wilco album for me. Love Art of Almost!

I will see them live in November (one day before MMJ  :D), will be my third Wilco show. Just read "Jonathan Wilson" is opening for them, anyone heard of him? Read his debut album just came out and it's receiving very good reviews (8.3 on Metacritic now). November will be a great month :)

bold992006

I cannot get enough of this album...loving it.  Next Tuesday's Boston show cannot come soon enough.

Jahmazed

Quote from: bold992006 on Sep 15, 2011, 09:46 AM
I cannot get enough of this album...loving it.  Next Tuesday's Boston show cannot come soon enough.

Agreed on both counts!   (funny I just posted that exact line on another thread)

Jahmazed

Quote from: bold992006 on Sep 14, 2011, 09:31 AM
Opening night of the tour last night...the first 5 songs would blow my mind....great set.

On @ 9:22 p.m.

Art Of Almost
I Might
Misunderstood - 28 nothing's
At Least That's What You Said
Bull Black Nova
In A Future Age
I Am Trying To Break Your Heart
Handshake Drugs
War On War
Born Alone
Your Are My Face
Impossible Germany
Via Chicago
Dawned On Me
I'm Always In Love
Shot In The Arm
----
Hummingbird
The Whole Love
Jesus, Etc. - Jeff Sang
Walken
I'm The Man Who Loves You

off @ 11:12 p.m.

That is a great setlist - and I love the nothing count  ;D

YouAre_GivenToFly

I love this album. Whhhyyyyyyyyy aren't they playing in or around Philly?!?!?!  :'(
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

el_chode

At Least That What You/She Said is a modern wonder of the live music world. I think everyone needs to see it performed live once just in the same way they need a Steam Engine to die satisfied.