Wilco - The Whole Love

Started by bold99, Sep 03, 2011, 10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: el_chode on Sep 15, 2011, 08:25 PM
At Least That What You/She Said is a modern wonder of the live music world. I think everyone needs to see it performed live once just in the same way they need a Steam Engine to die satisfied.

:thumbsup:
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

bold992006

Quote from: el_chode on Sep 15, 2011, 08:25 PM
At Least That What You/She Said is a modern wonder of the live music world. I think everyone needs to see it performed live once just in the same way they need a Steam Engine to die satisfied.

I agree..this song is just incredible...Crazy Horse-esque jam...and the fact they played that and Bull Black Nova back to back is just mind blowing.  I hope I get that.

ALady

if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

wolof7

This album finally clicked for me last night after my 4th listen....I liked individual tracks before but wasnt sure how i felt about the album proper.....now I like it a lot!  :thumbsup:

To me some of the poppier tracks resemble more of Summerteeth than any of their other albums....Art of Almost is most closely related to Ghost is Born and the other tracks are just Wilco sounding.

Likin the love for SBS...expectations were high for that album and for a band who progressively got tighter in production/songwriting it was a complete shift (esp. coming off their most experimental with AGIB)...the songs were freewheeling and messy at times...if you remember at the time, it was compared to a Grateful Dead sound which I can understand....to me it was exciting to learn the brilliance of Nels....but it's also a very superficial Wilco album where you do not need 5 listens to understand/digest the songs like their other albums (whole love inc.)....if you want to hear technical/deep/easter egg filled Wilco definitely go for YHF or AGIB...if you want to sling in the hammock in the summertime with a cold beer or iced tea or drink of ur choice while looking up at the sky blue sky, what better album to do it to than Sky Blue Sky? Well maybe Being there or Summerteeth but you get the point.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Penny Lane

Headhunter and I have a couple of Wilco tickets for Thursday's Central Park show if anyone hear wants them. Wanted to post before I put them on Craigslist. Let me know. We'll both be going but some people backed out.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

YouAre_GivenToFly

DAMN. If they were for Friday's show I'd grab them.  :-\

Penny Lane

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Sep 19, 2011, 04:08 PM

D--there are a ton of tickets below face on Craigslist if you wanna come Friday :-)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

headhunter

one of my co-workers has 2 extra for friday-- pm me if you might want them
was some shakin' and some record playin'

bold992006

Boston show tonight...cannot wait!!

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: headhunter on Sep 19, 2011, 08:20 PM

one of my co-workers has 2 extra for friday-- pm me if you might want them

I'm a no-go for NYC on Friday. Don't feel too bad for me... I'm going to see the Pearl Jam movie that night in Philly!

ophidiophobia

I haven't gotten in a full listen yet, but the songs I've heard I am really liking. Songs like Wilco Loves You Baby seemed too clownish. This new album seems to be a more serious effort. Some of the random noises remind me YHF, and you can't go wrong with YHF. This album will be played more in the near future.

YouAre_GivenToFly

I need to step away from a computer before I book a flight to Chicago and buy a ticket to their show on Dec 12. I just visited Chicago earlier this month and really liked it and want to go back... argh!

oistheone

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Sep 20, 2011, 04:26 PM
I need to step away from a computer before I book a flight to Chicago and buy a ticket to their show on Dec 12. I just visited Chicago earlier this month and really liked it and want to go back... argh!

Haha, I saw their show in Toronto the other day, and I had to talk myself down from the ledge after nearly purchasing a flight to Chicago to go to this show. It's gonna be unreal. I wanted to make an ultimate trip -- flying from Toronto to Chicago for Wilco and a Blackhawks game, then flying from Chicago to NYC for MMJ and Book of Mormon, then fly back to Toronto. Some would say I'm a dreamer. I would probably agree with them.

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: oistheone on Sep 20, 2011, 04:48 PM

Haha, I saw their show in Toronto the other day, and I had to talk myself down from the ledge after nearly purchasing a flight to Chicago to go to this show. It's gonna be unreal. I wanted to make an ultimate trip -- flying from Toronto to Chicago for Wilco and a Blackhawks game, then flying from Chicago to NYC for MMJ and Book of Mormon, then fly back to Toronto. Some would say I'm a dreamer. I would probably agree with them.

Wow that would be quite a tour...

Roundtrip on Southwest is only $250.... must.... resist.... purchasing.....

e_wind

Wilco has yet to "click" with me, though I've only listened to YHF a handful of times and a live album once or twice. However, I think this album is going to do it. I love the first track and Dawned on Me after just a day of listening
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: e_wind on Sep 20, 2011, 11:30 PM
Wilco has yet to "click" with me, though I've only listened to YHF a handful of times and a live album once or twice. However, I think this album is going to do it. I love the first track and Dawned on Me after just a day of listening

You should try some of their earlier stuff - Being There, and Summerteeth are excellent.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

ALady

Quote from: oistheone on Sep 20, 2011, 04:48 PM

Book of Mormon is coming to Chicago.  #jussayin

I feel like they will probably add another Chicago date too.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

ralph

One Sunday Morning. Damn.....
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: ralph on Sep 22, 2011, 10:16 PM
One Sunday Morning. Damn.....

The shortest 12-minute song I've ever heard.

headhunter

Penny Lane & I saw Wilco in Central Park last night- center on the rail.

Freakin' great show!  Like MMJ, these guys really bring it live.  Nick Lowe was also terrific as the opener.

Back tonight for the 2nd show.  Last time I saw the same band on back to back nights was MMJ at T5 and I seem to recall that working out pretty well also.
was some shakin' and some record playin'