Main Menu

TOOL

Started by woodnymph, Sep 23, 2011, 09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodnymph

Quote from: MrWhippy on Dec 15, 2011, 06:28 PM
Time to bump this thread...Tool on tour in the US in Jan/Feb!

Whoa whoa thanks for the updayyyttt  :thumbsup:

Aaaaannnnddd

http://www.rockntickets.com/ResultsGeneral.aspx?stype=0&kwds=Tool
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

Jaimoe

Am I alone here in loving Tool and not caring at all for Tool Light, AKA A Perfect Circle? I think it is their horrendous cover of "Imagine" that originally put me off. I'm pissed that Tool are coming to Toronto next month and I won't be going due to over $20,000 in upcoming home renos.

DewieCox

Quote from: Jaimoe on Dec 16, 2011, 10:26 AM
Am I alone here in loving Tool and not caring at all for Tool Light, AKA A Perfect Circle? I think it is their horrendous cover of "Imagine" that originally put me off. I'm pissed that Tool are coming to Toronto next month and I won't be going due to over $20,000 in upcoming home renos.

I think calling them Tool Light is kinda off the mark. They don't share many similarities.

If you think Imagine is bad, you should hear what they did to When The Levee Breaks, but don't let either of those put you off. That whole album is much more hit than miss. The remixes and covers are decent at best. Passive is the only track really worth gettin off there imo.

Their 1st 2 albums are both trememdous. Go pirate them and sit and give them a good listen. Took me awhile to come around to Mer de Noms, but it's fantastic.

BH

Quote from: DewieCox on Dec 16, 2011, 10:43 AM
Quote from: Jaimoe on Dec 16, 2011, 10:26 AM

I think calling them Tool Light is kinda off the mark. They don't share many similarities.

If you think Imagine is bad, you should hear what they did to When The Levee Breaks, but don't let either of those put you off. That whole album is much more hit than miss. The remixes and covers are decent at best. Passive is the only track really worth gettin off there imo.

Their 1st 2 albums are both trememdous. Go pirate them and sit and give them a good listen. Took me awhile to come around to Mer de Noms, but it's fantastic.

Agreed, that album with Imagine was awful.   But the other two?   Spectacular.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Jon T.

Quote from: MrWhippy on Dec 15, 2011, 06:28 PM
Time to bump this thread...Tool on tour in the US in Jan/Feb!

How bizarre.  I didn't even know there was a new album (just don't keep up with them like I used to) but I have been listening to a lot of Tool lately.  I could definitely use a Tool concert fix - even if it'll be the same set they've played for the last several years.  I miss the angry, doesn't give a shit about his vocal cords Maynard.   :'(

MrWhippy

It does not look like the new Tool album will be out before the Jan/Feb tour, but should be coming sometime in 2012. 

My guess is that the upcoming tour is just to generate interest in them again prior to the new album release. 

They are serious control freaks about their music getting out there before an album is released, so I would be this upcoming tour won't have any new songs yet.  There will then be a proper tour after then new album is released.  If that scenario is true, the Jan/Feb tour might be quite different than the tour later this year after the record.

Their 2010 tour was absolutely amazing, I'd be very happy if they did a similar show for this upcoming tour.

Also, regarding APC, as other have said, you can't judge them on the covers album.  The records of original material are amazing, particularly 13th Step in my opinion.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

NSLrecordings

Bojangles Coliseum, Charlotte, NC - Feb 4th

Hell yes
[url="//www.facebook.com/nslmedia"]www.facebook.com/nslmedia[/url] / [url="//www.nslmedia.net"]www.nslmedia.net[/url]

woodnymph

Quote from: NSLrecordings on Dec 17, 2011, 11:48 AM
Bojangles Coliseum, Charlotte, NC - Feb 4th

Hell yes

Whoa how did I not see this show date?!?!  That might be my night to catch 'em!  :thumbsup:

Jon T.

I'm curious to see where the new album goes.  I don't have too high of hopes for it.  I feel like they are past their prime.  I think Maynard isn't into it like he used to be. IMO, there was huge step back lyrically from Lateralus to 10k days.  How do you all feel?

Mahgeeta, I've picked up you are/were a big Tool fan?  Where do you stand with them now?

In contrast to Maynard, Danny Carey just keeps getting better and better.  That guy is unreal.

woodnymph

Quote from: Jon T. on Dec 17, 2011, 11:12 PM
I'm curious to see where the new album goes.  I don't have too high of hopes for it.  I feel like they are past their prime.  I think Maynard isn't into it like he used to be. IMO, there was huge step back lyrically from Lateralus to 10k days.  How do you all feel?

Mahgeeta, I've picked up you are/were a big Tool fan?  Where do you stand with them now?

In contrast to Maynard, Danny Carey just keeps getting better and better.  That guy is unreal.

Good calls, sir...  I haven't found myself into 10K near as much as Lateralus, though I do enjoy most of it.  Haven't found myself memorizing lyrics and etc the way I have for Lateralus, but time has also passed for my darker music kicks too, for what it's worth

Hard to top Lateralus lyrics, sheewwttttt

Danny Carey = beast, for sure.

Jon T.

Quote from: woodnymph on Dec 17, 2011, 11:18 PM

Good calls, sir...  I haven't found myself into 10K near as much as Lateralus, though I do enjoy most of it.  Haven't found myself memorizing lyrics and etc the way I have for Lateralus, but time has also passed for my darker music kicks too, for what it's worth

Hard to top Lateralus lyrics, sheewwttttt

Danny Carey = beast, for sure.

Yeah, 10k was still a great album, just not near the( i guess depths and comlexities?) of Lateralus, or Aenema for that matter.

That's interesting you bring up time passing... I've wondered about that, too.  If maybe it's just me getting older.  I think that's part of it, but Maynard's changed quite a bit, too.  Which is perfectly normal, it's just not the same.

You've seen APC recently, right?  How was that?

woodnymph

Quote from: Jon T. on Dec 17, 2011, 11:51 PM
Yeah, 10k was still a great album, just not near the( i guess depths and comlexities?) of Lateralus, or Aenema for that matter.

That's interesting you bring up time passing... I've wondered about that, too.  If maybe it's just me getting older.  I think that's part of it, but Maynard's changed quite a bit, too.  Which is perfectly normal, it's just not the same.

You've seen APC recently, right?  How was that?

I feel ya on the depth & complexity note (for Aenema as well, like you said).  And yeah I definitely wonder if it's age-related changes in my perception of things, but Maynard's definitely evolved a lot too, you're right. Between all that, my listening experience with them has seemed to come to a head... but I do hope the 2012 album will spark things up and rekindle a bit of a flame  ;)  They had me a roaring bonfire for a great deal of my late teens, and Lateralus still tickles my fancies quite a bit (as does Aenema, and a very  occasional Undertow/Opiate listening session)   Salival still pulls me in a great deal.

And for APC, Mer De Noms is where I can be found swimming around in the most, still.  The best way I can describe it is like an olde Renaissance vibe, for me... and I wind up envisioning castles and forests and all that, for some reason.  Not to mention the trip down highschool nostalgia lane haha

Seeing APC was a magic time, hands down... I bumped into an old friend from highschool (which made it even more surreal of course) and we wound up hanging out the whole show and talking about old & new times in between rocking out. And it was the night before MMJ played the exact same venue..... only to hear Jim say the next night that the boys were up on Mt. Washington looking down at the city during APC and hearing the concert echoing all over the city down below.... pure awesome...

Hope to catch Tool when they play NC Feb. 4!!  When was the last time you saw them again?  I think I remember you mentioning it, but I can't recall

woodnymph

OH THAT'S RIGHT!!  A quick look back and your live Tool experience was the shit!! Hahahahahahah good stuff  ;D

buaawwww

No NYC date?  IZOD center in NJ is garbage... Argh!

mahg33ta

There's probably a half dozen or so bands that at one point in my life were my favorite band in the world obsession.   The first was Peter Gabriel in the early 80s and MMJ has been the one since 05.   

Tool held the honor there for a stretch, probably late 90s early 00s.   Loved aenima, loved lateralus.   10k days had moments of greatness on there, but with lots of filler (right in two is on my short list of fav songs).   I've seen them 7 or 8 times I think; used to love the live vibe.    One of my fondest concert memories is seeing them at the Orpheum here in boston, a pretty small venue.   I was in the balcony and it was rocking so hard up and down (felt like at least a foot!) I was sure it was going to collapse.

But like ex-girlfriends, some remain friends some drift apart bigtime.    I don't listen to Tool much anymore- sometimes for good late night driving music.   What happened?   First I've certainly mellowed a bit (listening to Head and the Heart right now lol).   Second, I think Maynard has run out of things to say, a bit.   He's no spring chicken either.   Lastly, the last 2 concerts I saw (07 and 09) were carbon copies of each other.
Now, for all the handwringing we do about MMJ setlists, imagine seeing a show 2 years apart, with the same setlist, same lights, same videos, etc.    Maynard sings about us being the idiots lapping this stuff up, but damn when it's so obvious you feel a bit ripped off.  Going again makes me the bigger idiot, without a new album. 

So, I didn't buy tix when they went on sale Saturday.   Will probably be a last minute decision and check out setlists first.   If an extra ticket surfaces though, I'll probably be there.   Don't think I have any other Jan shows planned.

Oh, his wine is overpriced too.

Oh, and I never get tired of watching Danny Carey.   The guy is a beast.

MrWhippy

Quote from: mahg33ta on Dec 19, 2011, 04:48 PM

Lastly, the last 2 concerts I saw (07 and 09) were carbon copies of each other.
Now, for all the handwringing we do about MMJ setlists, imagine seeing a show 2 years apart, with the same setlist, same lights, same videos, etc.    Maynard sings about us being the idiots lapping this stuff up, but damn when it's so obvious you feel a bit ripped off.  Going again makes me the bigger idiot, without a new album. 

Hey Mag, I wouldn't judge too much from the 09 tour.  From all accounts, that was a quickly thrown together thing, probably because they got offers to headline some festivals too big to refuse.  Supposedly Maynard really didn't want to do that tour, and they just rehashed what they had done last time they were out in 07.

The 2010 tour restored a lot of people's faith in the band, as they seriously revamped their show, in terms of setlist and visuals.  I caught the '10 tour at Red Rocks and was blown away by it, and it was just about the best show I've seen them do.  Check out the video I posted near the beginning of this thread from the 2010 tour of Third Eye to get a sense of it.

If this Jan/Feb 2012 tour is similar to the 2010 tour, I will be very happy.  Then, I'm sure they will revamp things once they have a new record out.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

Jon T.

There's probably a half dozen or so bands that at one point in my life were my favorite band in the world obsession.   The first was Peter Gabriel in the early 80s and MMJ has been the one since 05.   

Tool held the honor there for a stretch, probably late 90s early 00s.   Loved aenima, loved lateralus.   10k days had moments of greatness on there, but with lots of filler (right in two is on my short list of fav songs).   I've seen them 7 or 8 times I think; used to love the live vibe.    One of my fondest concert memories is seeing them at the Orpheum here in boston, a pretty small venue.   I was in the balcony and it was rocking so hard up and down (felt like at least a foot!) I was sure it was going to collapse.

But like ex-girlfriends, some remain friends some drift apart bigtime.    I don't listen to Tool much anymore- sometimes for good late night driving music.   What happened?   First I've certainly mellowed a bit (listening to Head and the Heart right now lol).   Second, I think Maynard has run out of things to say, a bit.   He's no spring chicken either.   Lastly, the last 2 concerts I saw (07 and 09) were carbon copies of each other.

So, I didn't buy tix when they went on sale Saturday.   Will probably be a last minute decision and check out setlists first.   If an extra ticket surfaces though, I'll probably be there.   Don't think I have any other Jan shows planned.

Wow, that could pretty accurately sum up my feelings on them, as well.  Maynard.. he's always been pretty prickly, but it's so odd how much, i guess contempt, maybe(?) he has toward his fans.  Anyway, using your comparison to old girlfriends, they'll always have a special place in my heart for the ten or so years they were my number one, but for the most part, that ship has sailed for me.

Mr. Whip - that's a cool vid and great opener "so good to see you, I've missed you so much"...  I don't think I've ever seen Third Eye before, if I have, I don't remember...
You think Maynard's still singing all those parts?  I'm not so sure.

DewieCox

Quote from: Jon T. on Dec 20, 2011, 08:30 AM

Wow, that could pretty accurately sum up my feelings on them, as well.  Maynard.. he's always been pretty prickly, but it's so odd how much, i guess contempt, maybe(?) he has toward his fans.  Anyway, using your comparison to old girlfriends, they'll always have a special place in my heart for the ten or so years they were my number one, but for the most part, that ship has sailed for me.

Mr. Whip - that's a cool vid and great opener "so good to see you, I've missed you so much"...  I don't think I've ever seen Third Eye before, if I have, I don't remember...
You think Maynard's still singing all those parts?  I'm not so sure.

I'd guess he is, b/c he, or the strength of his voice rather, has been dictating the setlist and since at least the beginning of the 10k Days touring cycle. He would have the crowd carry the VIIIII CAAAAAAR IOUSLYYYYYYYYYYY outro part.

Jaimoe

I like Maynard and all, but where's the love for Adam Jones? He's the force behind almost all of the compositions and groundbreaking music videos. Jones is fascinating, unpredictable and holds menace and uneasy tension in his arrangements and guitar.

DewieCox

Quote from: Jaimoe on Dec 20, 2011, 03:41 PM
I like Maynard and all, but where's the love for Adam Jones? He's the force behind almost all of the compositions and groundbreaking music videos. Jones is fascinating, unpredictable and holds menace and uneasy tension in his arrangements and guitar.

He's a certifiable badass!! Probably my main guitar playing influence.