Main Menu

TOOL

Started by woodnymph, Sep 23, 2011, 09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BH

Quote from: Ghosts_on_TV on Sep 24, 2011, 06:27 AM
46 & 2, just ahead of me...

Nice.  I almost put 46 AND2 on my liscence plate once because I like that song and the meaning behind it so much.

Love the mad man quote B
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Ghosts_on_TV

God that album is so good. I only ever saw Tool once, it was when lateralus came out. They had these dudes painted silver climbing all over the fucking stage, and maynard kind of just stood in this dark corner of the stage the whole time. It was actually one of the best shows ive ever seen. I saw APC once too, right when the first album came out. Maynard had on these white shiny vinyl pants, and during the 2nd or 3rd song, he said "this song is about taking of your pants...these are Gucci, by the way..." , and just took his pants off and played the rest of the show in bikini brief underwear.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Ghosts_on_TV

Quote from: BH on Sep 23, 2011, 10:34 PM
Thirteeth Step is one of those albums that just takes me away somewhere the moment I hear the first notes, like a Floyd album or something.   Can't explain it but the production and sound is just awesome.

This album reminds me so much of Disintegration by The Cure.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

woodnymph

Dang dragonboy, that had to be NUTS with RATM!!!!  Wheeeeeewwww......... killer!

Ghosts, I saw them around the time of Lateralus too, and those silvery green people climbing everywhere..........man oh man.  That's hilarious Maynard pulled that pants stunt at your show  ;D  Man I wish I could remember more about the few shows I caught... he definitely had something going on with his wardrobe (amongst everything else, of course)

Salival is one of my favorites by them too, all the live goodness.  The live tablas on Pushit.... and the You Lied, Third Eye, and No Quarter.

I'll need to catch up with those L. Ron Hubbard vids, I've been meaning to read more about him and all since forever.... since I first heard Aenima.  (Even though he says 'fuck 'im,' I'd still like to know what the dude's about, more.)  The handful of times I tried to learn up on him, I got sidetracked rather easily....  Guess I have a lot to look forward to  :P

Hahah but man oh man.... I love Opiate too and Undertow, their rawness just scratches my itches sometimes.

And I probably already mentioned it, but I'm still proud of the fact that my highschool boyfriend and I cracked the symbol code of Mer De Noms.  (He started it though, I'll have to give him credit for the idea)  We figured out what each symbol stands for, and got most of the letters of the alphabet down.  I think there were 2 or 3 we couldn't find, though.  We liked the album a little.  Then we wrote notes in the code  :-X  I'd never remember them nowadays, but the translation pages are somewhere in a box back home....

Wish I saw APC circa Mer, but couldn't find a ride out to the show which was like an hour or more from my house.  Really glad I caught them this summer, the night before MMJ.  What a crazy two days of music.....  and they played 3 or 4 songs off of Mer too, so I was stoked. (And let me just add they covered Joni Mitchell too. It was a great set...)  Wish they woulda just kept playing though.....
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

woodnymph

How many times I feel like I'm in his shoes singing this......  just want to wake people up sometimes......

7. Sleeping Beauty - A Perfect Circle

woodnymph

I just looked up the Tool shows I'd been to, to see their setlists and dates, etc.... and it's no wonder the Fall always gets me amped about them.  Saw them September 28, 2001 at the Civic Arena in Pitt and October 19, 2002 at the Erie Civic Center.  Between those shows, they played Opiate, Prison Sex, 4 Degrees, Cold & Ugly, Stinkfist, 46 & 2, and Aenema, amongst Lateralus tunes that I also love.  Oh and Pushit (which was entirely too significant at the time........)  And they played Pushit in Pittsburgh. The "they knew I was there" feeling still remains.  High times.........  8)

buymycar

Those "silvery green people" climbing on the stage are called Osseus Labyrint.  From the wiki:

Osseus Labyrint is an experimental arts entity which has been working in multiple disciplines and forms of media since 1989.

The group describes its work as "a manifestation of accumulated data from billions of years of evolving and recombining of matter and energy." Founded and directed by Hannah Sim and Mark Steger, Osseus Labyrint has inhabited extreme, remote, conventional, and self-made environments. The group's work has been presented live and broadcast throughout the USA, Canada, Mexico, England, Scotland, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Hungary, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Slovenia, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand and over the World Wide Web.

The pair has found much fame through their work with the band Tool; they have appeared in Tool's music video "Schism" and live on stage at many of Tool's concerts. Osseus Labyrint has also appeared as a pair in the film Men in Black II doing the same "interpretative dance" seen in the "Schism" music video.

MrWhippy

If you are a big Tool fan and didn't get to see the 2010 tour, check this out.  They opened all the shows with Third Eye, and had an incredible new visual presentation for it.  This is just about the best opening for a show I've ever seen.

TOOL - Third eye Live 2010 St Charles MO HD

Yeah, the 2001 tour with Osseus Labyrint suspended above the stage upsidedown contorting themselves was nuts.  Also one of the best shows I've ever seen in my opinion, though Tool always is.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

woodnymph

Good christ, man!!!

I swore that I saw Third Eye at one of the shows I was at, but the evidence isn't exactly mounting.....  hmmmm

Those LIGHTS!  That's just great.... I feel like that song might have even been the reason I even first heard of a third eye, so you can imagine how that set me reeling.....  fantastic, thanks for posting that!

And I'd heard that the Osseus Labyrint people were some team of sorts that traveled and performed, but I wouldn't have ever remembered the name they go by..... a good name though!!  Hopefully one I'll remember now!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bony_labyrinth

woodnymph

OK!  I think maybe I've solved my riddle...... someone wrote on Toolshed.com that they played Opiate at the Erie Civic Center, but played the Tim Leary quotes from the Salival version of Third Eye.  If so, thus would certainly have left a residual Third Eye feeling of having heard it.  Pun intended  ::)

All I know is my mind was permanently fucked from both shows.

DewieCox

Great fucking band!!!

Doesn't get better than Aenema for me, such a terrific blend of the intensity of Undertow with the technical mastery of Lateralus, which runs a close second for me.

I thought 10k Days was solid, but a leap back. Too much rehashed material,imo. I know there's not a huge range of musical ideas, but quite a bit of that album is riffs and patterns from Aenema and Lateralus minor alterations.

Mer de Noms and 13th Step are both top shelf albums too. I prefer 13th Step as it's just a massive journey.

sweatboard

There's Still Time.........

sweatboard

He's so high!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

sweatboard

his one job is to reduce guilt and reduce fear.   :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

sweatboard

Timothy Leary - Evolution of Intelligence

America, the greatest Mafia of them all.

sweatboard

Too far ahead..... so what's next?

sweatboard

woodnymph

woodnymph

Don't tempt me to make a Be Here Now thread........... it'll rank right up there with the vegetarian recipe thread  :P

sweatboard

When we identify with ALL BODIES.

The hand analogy is so spot on. 

5000 miles     

You can't look for awareness, you can only Be awareness, so....you be your awareness and I be my awareness and in "that being aware" we are not 500 miles away.  It's from Omega to California......................I knew I had made a mistake

We have to transcend 5ooooooooooo miles

:D