Main Menu

Bands you despise

Started by Eweezy, Oct 02, 2011, 10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMJ_fanatic

Quote from: Jaimoe on Oct 15, 2011, 03:30 PM
as a fan of Supernatural, I've grown to like the show's oft-used almost theme song, "Carry On My Wayward Son" . It's totally perfect as a primer and flashback promo.

I love the show too but that Kansas song takes me back to the South Park episode "Guitar Queero" everytime  ;D
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

MMJ_fanatic

Quote from: el_chode on Oct 16, 2011, 01:54 PM
And to underscore Jamoie's point:

Ween - Buckingham Green live from chicago

It's also a great intro to the many guitar faces of Deaner

Neither one of your song posts do anything to advance their status with me.  Yeah Dean plays guitar well but the songs and Gene's voice shut me down so they do nothing for me but aggravate.  I love Zappa and these guys are nowhere near his league.

MMJ_fanatic

Quote from: e_wind on Oct 16, 2011, 04:52 PM

Most of this post is a headache.

Eminem:
EMINEM - Kill you

I don't like hip hop, it aint my bag. The Marshall Mathers LP however is one of my favorite records ever. This is something I usually wouldn't say, but this is SO brutal its awesome.
Eminem in 2011 does suck.

Ween just seems like a really weird band to "despise".

The "pop" genre? Does this count:

Michael Jackson-Billy Jean-full version

Pop is like every other genre, theres some awesome shit, and then theres just some shit.

I can agree with REO and Coldplay. Coldplay upsets me they're so boring.

Not sure what you mean with the headache reference but posting an "Enema-em" video does nothing to change my feelings about him being a piece of shit not worth listening to and his voice still grates on my nerves.  Michael Jackson was great in his day with his brothers in the J5 beyond that I really classified him in the R&B genre but never really followed his stuff--I more referred to the bubblegum crap marketed to pre-pubescent girls.  Ween I guess I could just ignore  :-\

el_chode

Quote from: MMJ_fanatic on Oct 23, 2011, 03:14 PM

Neither one of your song posts do anything to advance their status with me.  Yeah Dean plays guitar well but the songs and Gene's voice shut me down so they do nothing for me but aggravate.  I love Zappa and these guys are nowhere near his league.

At this point I see it one of two ways for you and Ween:

1) You're going into it expecting to hear Zappa. There are two similarities between Frank and Ween, one is that their lyrics can seem like a novelty to some, the other is that their style of playing is so varied that there's nothing really to compare them to in one shot. If you think you're going to hear some Zappa-esque orchestration and composition, you're definitely going to not hear that.

2) It's just not a band you'll ever stomach in the same way that I'll never like Watermelon even though I try to like it once every summer

Either way I'm just going to leave this here and maybe you'll click on it:

Ween - Buenas Tardes Amigo (Live)
I'm surrounded by assholes

Jaimoe

Quote from: el_chode on Oct 23, 2011, 05:09 PM

1) You're going into it expecting to hear Zappa. There are two similarities between Frank and Ween, one is that their lyrics can seem like a novelty to some, the other is that their style of playing is so varied that there's nothing really to compare them to in one shot. If you think you're going to hear some Zappa-esque orchestration and composition, you're definitely going to not hear that.

2) It's just not a band you'll ever stomach in the same way that I'll never like Watermelon even though I try to like it once every summer

Those are bang-on points. Also, Ween really appeals to a college kid mentality and demographic as did Weezer in their beginings. I've heard Ween described as college rock and it fits: juvenile at times, with some serious musicianship and a wide variety of styles underscoring often silly lyrics and themes. One of the best things I can say about Ween is that they aren't boring, something Frank Zappa thought was most important.

BTW, I could've gone to that Ween Live in Toronto show back in 1996, but I didn't know them (I was listening to other things such as jam bands and lots of jazz and Frank Zappa). Damn! Fuck You Phish!!

el_chode

Quote from: Jaimoe on Oct 23, 2011, 05:34 PM

Those are bang-on points. Also, Ween really appeals to a college kid mentality and demographic as did Weezer in their beginings. I've heard Ween described as college rock and it fits: juvenile at times, with some serious musicianship and a wide variety of styles underscoring often silly lyrics and themes. One of the best things I can say about Ween is that they aren't boring, something Frank Zappa thought was most important.

BTW, I could've gone to that Ween Live in Toronto show back in 1996, but I didn't know them (I was listening to other things such as jam bands and lots of jazz and Frank Zappa). Damn! Fuck You Phish!!

I had never heard that cut of Buenos tardes, but it is crystal clear and amazingly done, so now I have to go see if it's on Archive.

And I agree with your first point about the college rock that's not "college rock" (read: REM, Replacements, etc). If anything, I think Ween is just a bar band that puts on an amazing rock show. Sort of like Phish. And that's not a slight to either artist.

In fact, before you write off ween, it might be best to pull a MMJ and see them live first and see if you don't get hooked that way.
I'm surrounded by assholes

ALady

That's what happened to me.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

bluesky

Ween! Is that Jim at 1:31?  ;)
Quote from: MMJ_fanatic link=topic=15629.msg283011#

quote author=el_chode link=topic=15629.msg282211#msg282211 date=1318787643]

[/quote]

johnnYYac

Quote from: ALady on Oct 24, 2011, 04:16 AM
That's what happened to me.
Seeing Ween first (Lollapalooza this August) seemed to work, the best part of the day, 'cept for MMJ, of course.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.