Main Menu

am i crazy

Started by e_wind, Oct 15, 2011, 02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e_wind

last night I got in a HEATED debate with people that were seriously telling me that Wu Tang Clan is more famous and well known than PEARL JAM. AM I CRAZY? I mean Pearl Jam is a house hold name. They can sell 70,000 tickets for one weekend. Wu Tang Clan took 3 months to sell out Expo fu.cking 5. the worst venue in louisville. come on.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Eweezy

Quote from: e_wind on Oct 15, 2011, 02:20 PM
last night I got in a HEATED debate with people that were seriously telling me that Wu Tang Clan is more famous and well known than PEARL JAM. AM I CRAZY? I mean Pearl Jam is a house hold name. They can sell 70,000 tickets for one weekend. Wu Tang Clan took 3 months to sell out Expo fu.cking 5. the worst venue in louisville. come on.

Nope not crazy at all.  I don't think people will be thinking about the 20the anniversary of "Enter the 36 Chambers."  "Man remember when that came out it changed my life."  I am not some Pearl Jam lover either. Like most hip hop then and now it is easily forgettable.   I guess you were talking to some hip hop heads that have smoked themselves stupid.  I got your back in that debate any day, buddy. :thumbsup:
Yikes!

e_wind

im a huge pearl jam fan, and they were both big hip hop fans. I hate hip hop, personally. i just can't get into it at all. that makes the argument hard because people are defending what they love, but  i mean, i KNOW i was right.

Jaimoe

In overall general worldwide terms, PJ are more famous. However, core fans of rap and old school hip hop would have a differing opinion. 

Ghosts_on_TV

Quote from: Eweezy on Oct 15, 2011, 02:28 PM
Quote from: e_wind on Oct 15, 2011, 02:20 PM

Nope not crazy at all.  I don't think people will be thinking about the 20the anniversary of "Enter the 36 Chambers."  "Man remember when that came out it changed my life."  I am not some Pearl Jam lover either. Like most hip hop then and now it is easily forgettable.   I guess you were talking to some hip hop heads that have smoked themselves stupid.  I got your back in that debate any day, buddy. :thumbsup:

Well they should, that album is a classic rap album, and its fucking awesome.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Ghosts_on_TV

But anyway, yeah Pearl Jam is more well known, for sure.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Paulie_Walnuts

Pearl who.......??
Paulie W

mjk73

I couldn't tell you one person, song, or album from Wu Tang Clan. I loath hip hop so that's probably why. Now, I couldn't tell you anything about PJ after No Code.

capt. scotty

Are we talking in the US or Worldwide? Worldwide I would say Pearl Jam, but I think in the US its a lot closer than you realize. Really I could see arguments for both sides, but I dont get the point of arguing fame of a hip hop group compared to a rock group. Naturally, rock is a genre that allows for more listeners, spans more age groups, sells more concert tickets, and is recognized more by the media. Both are some of the biggest names in their respective genres over the past 20 years. That said, I think if you ask hip hop fans the best rap artists of the past 20-25 years, more of them will have Wu Tang at or near the top of their list than rock fans having Pearl Jam that high.

If you ask anyone under the age of 45 or so that has an even casual knowledge of music, I think 95% of people would recognize the names of both Wu Tang Clan and Pearl Jam. Id also say a lot more white people would know about Wu Tang than minorities knowing about Pearl Jam. I think its a dumb argument really, and unless someone listens to both genres, theyre going to be biased 1 way or the other.

I wouldnt be surprised if 50-100 years from now that Wu Tang is considered more influential and groundbreaking in hip hop than Pearl Jam in rock/alternative.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

Nope not crazy at all.  I don't think people will be thinking about the 20the anniversary of "Enter the 36 Chambers."  "Man remember when that came out it changed my life."  I

You really have no idea what youre talking about and are just making yourself look ignorant
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

joe v

Quote from: capt. scotty on Oct 15, 2011, 07:22 PM
Nope not crazy at all.  I don't think people will be thinking about the 20the anniversary of "Enter the 36 Chambers."  "Man remember when that came out it changed my life."  I

You really have no idea what youre talking about and are just making yourself look ignorant

I think he was being sarcastic ;).

The "Only" thing I know about the WTC is they were on the Dave Chappelle Show  :-\ .

PJ still kicks ass live :D .
My Perfect Day = Snowboarding on a powder day in the trees & listening to my favorite music.

Eweezy

Quote from: joe v on Oct 15, 2011, 08:32 PM
Quote from: capt. scotty on Oct 15, 2011, 07:22 PM

I think he was being sarcastic ;).

The "Only" thing I know about the WTC is they were on the Dave Chappelle Show  :-\ .

PJ still kicks ass live :D .

Hope so didn't know I was dealing with Ol' Dirty Nittany Lion
Yikes!

el_chode

Meh, hip hop fans are like metal heads - there is no telling them that their preferred choice of music is not the most masculine, awe-inspiring, best form of expression to ever grace intergalactic culture.
I'm surrounded by assholes

Jaimoe

Quote from: el_chode on Oct 16, 2011, 01:49 PM
Meh, hip hop fans are like metal heads - there is no telling them that their preferred choice of music is not the most masculine, awe-inspiring, best form of expression to ever grace intergalactic culture.

... or Rush fans (militant defenders of their boring post Signals era) and to some extent, Pearl Jam diehards.

el_chode

Quote from: Jaimoe on Oct 16, 2011, 02:22 PM

... or Rush fans (militant defenders of their boring post Signals era) and to some extent, Pearl Jam diehards.

True, some PJ fans are like that, but I've found they also rarely listen to anything else of quality or interest, and typically cling to their mid-90s rock and Dave Matthews safety nets.

I will say that of all the 90s acts, except for maybe Foo Fighters, PJ are the only ones to emerge without serious taint or cheesyness. STP hung themselves with Weiland's latter day sins and a string of trite albums.

Jaimoe

Quote from: el_chode on Oct 16, 2011, 02:31 PM

True, some PJ fans are like that, but I've found they also rarely listen to anything else of quality or interest, and typically cling to their mid-90s rock and Dave Matthews safety nets.

I will say that of all the 90s acts, except for maybe Foo Fighters, PJ are the only ones to emerge without serious taint or cheesyness. STP hung themselves with Weiland's latter day sins and a string of trite albums.

I guess, if by '90s you mean the emerging acts from the early part or turn of the decade? The end of the '90s produced lots of killer artists that became big in the first few years of the 2000s.

On a related note, I have two coworkers at work with me today, one is a militant DM fan and the other continues her decades-long worship of all things Pearl Jam. Another coworker will try to fight you even if you suggest Presto isn't as good as Moving Pictures. 

Ruckus

;D ;D how ironic to pigeon hole people in a box so they fit into your always correct LSAT analogies.  I'm confused because I love metal and hip hop and I am supremely unmasculine.  SPORTS rule!
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

e_wind

Quote from: Jaimoe on Oct 16, 2011, 02:42 PM

I guess, if by '90s you mean the emerging acts from the early part or turn of the decade? The end of the '90s produced lots of killer artists that became big in the first few years of the 2000s.

On a related note, I have two coworkers at work with me today, one is a militant DM fan and the other continues her decades-long worship of all things Pearl Jam. Another coworker will try to fight you even if you suggest Presto isn't as good as Moving Pictures.

There were a lot of killer late 90's artists that became big in the 2000's, the first one coming to mind is this band called My Morning Jacket that I think we can all agree is awesome.

I also don't feel like this is an opinionated matter. I'm not arguing who's better or anything else, just the fact that more people know the name Pearl Jam. I think if you take it a step further and say "More people know at least one Pearl Jam song than know at least one WTC song", its not even a contest, since PJ is a mainstream band.

el_chode

Quote from: Ruckus on Oct 16, 2011, 03:53 PM
;D ;D how ironic to pigeon hole people in a box so they fit into your always correct LSAT analogies.  I'm confused because I love metal and hip hop and I am supremely unmasculine.  SPORTS rule!

You can't qualify because you've diversified. I'm talking about people who only listen to X genre and won't listen to anything else because they assume it is inferior.

Many metalheads are like this, as are many hip hop fans, AND YOU KNOW IT!

I mean, metalheads are so nitpicky they even get pissy at other types of metal as not being metal enough.

el_chode

Quote from: Jaimoe on Oct 16, 2011, 02:42 PM

I'm talking about people who cling to Alice in Chains and Stone Temple pilots as still being hugely important and relevant.

I'm not making fun of the music, just the fans. Call it the class of 90-95, anything from Pumpkins to PJ, STP, AiC, Soundgarden, RHCP (before every song was a song about California), etc. Incidentally, probably the last good era for radio rock when you could hear stuff on the radio without feeling nauseous (again, before Californication*). This is the stuff I grew up with and was the soundtrack to my youth, but I also know a lot of people who drop everything for an "Alice in Chains" show and swear it's the high point of today's music.

I think Pearl Jam are the undisputed kings.

*Californication became the first album I ever became over-exposed to thanks to 92.3 KROCK and the Furious 5 at 9 countdown, which consisted of eyebrow ring rock (staind) and 2-3 songs off Californication for what seemed like at least 6 months.