Main Menu

am i crazy

Started by e_wind, Oct 15, 2011, 02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaimoe

Quote from: el_chode on Oct 16, 2011, 06:28 PM
Quote from: Ruckus on Oct 16, 2011, 03:53 PM
Quote from: el_chode on Oct 16, 2011, 01:49 PM
Meh, hip hop fans are like metal heads - there is no telling them that their preferred choice of music is not the most masculine, awe-inspiring, best form of expression to ever grace intergalactic culture.
;D ;D how ironic to pigeon hole people in a box so they fit into your always correct LSAT analogies.  I'm confused because I love metal and hip hop and I am supremely unmasculine.  SPORTS rule!

I'm talking about people who only listen to X genre and won't listen to anything else because they assume it is inferior.

I think this attitude is bigger and goes outside just music and it also includes Gen Xers too. Look at the way people defend and blindly support their choice of video game platforms, computer system (Apple owners are the most self-assured and smug) or even favourite TV shows. There seems to be a growing lack of middle ground. Music crossover was more apparent in the '60s and '70s, but lines aren't crossed anywhere near as much nowadays. Sad really.

Ruckus

Meh, hip hop fans are like metal heads - there is no telling them that their preferred choice of music is not the most masculine, awe-inspiring, best form of expression to ever grace intergalactic culture.
;D ;D how ironic to pigeon hole people in a box so they fit into your always correct LSAT analogies.  I'm confused because I love metal and hip hop and I am supremely unmasculine.  SPORTS rule!

You can't qualify because you've diversified. I'm talking about people who only listen to X genre and won't listen to anything else because they assume it is inferior.

Many metalheads are like this, as are many hip hop fans, AND YOU KNOW IT!

I mean, metalheads are so nitpicky they even get pissy at other types of metal as not being metal enough.
I feel ya.  It's like PA drivers...luv ya Chode :-*
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

el_chode

Quote from: Jaimoe on Oct 16, 2011, 06:44 PM

I'm talking about people who only listen to X genre and won't listen to anything else because they assume it is inferior.

I think this attitude is bigger and goes outside just music and it also includes Gen Xers too. Look at the way people defend and blindly support their choice of video game platforms, computer system (Apple owners are the most self-assured and smug) or even favourite TV shows. There seems to be a growing lack of middle ground. Music crossover was more apparent in the '60s and '70s, but lines aren't crossed anywhere near as much nowadays. Sad really.

A lot of it has to do with self-selection. It's one of the reasons I've stayed away from Pandora and Last.fm lately, as well as spotify - and goes to the politics and just about everything else. When every thing ends up being custom-tailored to individual interests, it's nice, but then it narrows that person's experience. While people are polarized generally by politics, I think it gets reinforced when you can choose to read only the "news" put forth by your preferred brand of news, blogs, etc.

Same with music - if you can just put on "MMJ radio", you get a limited universe. There's good stuff in it, but eventually you start to get a bit sonically incestuous.

There's something to be said for a curated playlist picked by someone else.

==
I've encountered less PA drivers lately believe it or not. My drive-time stress has been lowered drastically haha
I'm surrounded by assholes

peafunk31

This smear campaign against PA drivers angered me. It's unfounded & just downright mean. Both the Choder & Rukus are now on watch :P
Homer no function beer well without.

buaawwww

What's a "Wu-Tang"?

mjk73

vespachick

My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

e_wind

don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Penny Lane

but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Eweezy

When I hear Wu-Tang now this is what I think of.  Miss u Dave :'(

Dave Chappelle - Wu Tang Financial Clan Ain't Nothin To Fuck With
Yikes!

The DARK

On the original question, it all depends on who you talk to. There's a pretty huge population that sees Wu-Tang as the defining musical force of their generation, and another that could say the same for Pearl Jam. I grew up more in the Pearl Jam crowd, and still base most of my musical tastes around that, but I fully recognize the awesomeness that is the Wu-Tang. As a lot of people here have mentioned, so much of the music media out there is tailor-made for a particular populace, without really attempting to bridge the gap. Sadly, that's just the way that life is; people don't feel a need to leave their musical cloud if they don't want to relate to what lies beyond. I love listening to other people's music, no matter what it is, because it's a key into their world.

No music is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, even the derivative stuff that gets a lot of hate for good reason. Somebody out there grew up with it and can relate to it, and thats just a part of who they are.
In another time, in another place, in another face