Main Menu

alabama shakes

Started by ironmike, Oct 19, 2011, 04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oistheone

"Hang Loose" is the pretty close to being the perfect pop song. I can't believe this wasn't recorded in 1964.

EasyRyder

pristine sound. can't wait to see this dudes  :D

Alabama Shakes - Full Performance (Live on KEXP)

besides their rock n soul sound which blows me away, I think I like the simplicity of their music almost most of all. addictive it is...

"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

oistheone

Thanks so much for posting that video! God, I love this band. Picked up my tickets today for their April tour, and this video is just what I need to carry over the excitement!

Completely agree on the simplicity factor too. Not that there's anything wrong with funky changes and spastic rhythms, but it's so refreshing to see a band just forget all of that and concentrate on doing the little things right. They get into a groove, throw soulful melodies on top and build and release tension -- and those principles are at the heart of all great music.

johnnYYac

Man, I gotta get my ass to Burlington for this.  Someone tell me it'll be worth the 5 hour round trip drive. 
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

oistheone

Quote from: johnnYYac on Feb 24, 2012, 12:27 PM
Man, I gotta get my ass to Burlington for this.  Someone tell me it'll be worth the 5 hour round trip drive.

It will be worth the 5 hour round trip drive!

For what it's worth, I'd drive 5 hours EACH way for these guys.

johnnYYac

Oops!  Bought 2 tix to Burlington, VT on Sat. April 14th.  Don't have a "date" yet, so if anyone in the vicinity is interested, let me know.  I'll check with my deadbeat friends, but...
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

mahg33ta

Quote from: johnnYYac on Feb 24, 2012, 12:46 PM
Oops!  Bought 2 tix to Burlington, VT on Sat. April 14th.  Don't have a "date" yet, so if anyone in the vicinity is interested, let me know.  I'll check with my deadbeat friends, but...

double oops!  I just bought 2 for the next night, sun in boston without a date! 

Fully

Maybe you two should go to both shows and then get a room afterward ;)

:bath:

joey_rogo

i MIGHT got to the VT show.

Tracy 2112

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

wolof7

best debut album in a long time, album is near perfection  :thumbsup:
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Murph

Quote from: wolof7 on Feb 24, 2012, 09:22 PM

It came out already?  I got my tickets to the Bowery Ballroom show today

wolof7

Quote from: Murph on Feb 24, 2012, 10:59 PM
Quote from: wolof7 on Feb 24, 2012, 09:22 PM

It came out already?  I got my tickets to the Bowery Ballroom show today

it has not but I have had the good fortune to get a sneak peek...if you like what you've heard so far you won't be dissappointed! Enjoy that show!

MSchroeder

Just got around to watching the video from Conan.  Lead singers voice is fantastic - reminds me of Mavis Staples.  Had visions of a collab between her and Jim popping into my head immediately.  Duet on that Booker T jam Jim sang on recently?

ironmike

I get the same feeling listening to this I did when I first listened to tennessee fire....pure greatness ahead.

wolof7

Quote from: ironmike on Feb 25, 2012, 01:27 PM
I get the same feeling listening to this I did when I first listened to tennessee fire....pure greatness ahead.

I can't state enough how great this album is

Tracy 2112

Quote from: wolof7 on Feb 26, 2012, 12:41 PM

It'll be nice to get in on the ground floor with a new band again.
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Penny Lane

Got tix for the Brooklyn show and the Georgia Theater show in Athens.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

e_wind

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Feb 26, 2012, 04:13 PM
Quote from: wolof7 on Feb 26, 2012, 12:41 PM

It'll be nice to get in on the ground floor with a new band again.

I'm hoping for the same time. Its been awhile since I've been able to watch a band grow
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Ruckus

What's so neat about them is how unintentional this crazy rise was.  I forgot the article I recently read about how Brittany Howard didn't know anything about music blogs or what Aquarium Drunkard was or something like that.  I mean, well over 30,000 likes on FB and a national headlining tour without an official album released yet.  Good for them.  I support instant fame so long as they deserve it and they sure as hell seem to.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head