Main Menu

Amp advice?

Started by Jaimoe, Nov 02, 2011, 02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaimoe

Hey fellow guitarists, I bought a house and moved in a month ago. I'm going to reno the basement and turn it into a mancave/living room, but it's not a big space. So, I've decided it's time to downsize and I'm going to sell my Fender Twin Reverb 1965 Reissue. My question to you is what's a good replacement small TUBE amp that's still loud enough to jam and play in a small pub or bar, not mic'd? I want to keep the price in the $600 and less range, and the Fender Blues Jr. III, Traynor 20w, Peavey Classic 30 and Peavey Delta Blues 115 qualify. My style is devolving, so I like garage rock, Brit Invasion and swampy delta blues variations. I used to be a jammy player, but I'm done with that boring genre, except for the legends such as the Dead and Allmans. 

Another question: I tried the new Marshall Class 5 yesterday and it is loud for a 5 watt, but I'm not sure I could jam with it with a drummer and/or get away with it un-mic'd in a small pub. I liked it though.

YouAre_GivenToFly

Don't know how you feel about digital amps, but back when I was in a band I owned one of those Line 6 Spider amps, and it was awesome. Could get an incredible variety of tones out of it, and it definitely sounded better than most of the traditional solid state amps. Not too expensive, either.

Tube amps always were (and still are) out of my price range, so if you're open to the digital then give them a chance. I'm sure theyve gotten better in the 5 or 6 years since I got mine.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

el_chode

I have a small fender deluxe that does fine. I think it is a deluxe. I can check at home later. Just a drive/od switch, competes well in clubs, and is too loud for an apartment but fine for a house. I think it retails near $300
I'm surrounded by assholes

Jaimoe

Yeah, I'm looking for a tube amp such as the ones I mentioned. I mostly want to know if the Fender Blues Jr. and Marshall Class 5 are jam and/or gigable without being mic'd. I don't want a Deluxe since they aren't much smaller than my Twin and I want fidelity over volume. I love my Twin, but I rarely aired it out past 2.

Luna Moth

Quote from: Jaimoe on Nov 02, 2011, 07:22 PM
Yeah, I'm looking for a tube amp such as the ones I mentioned. I mostly want to know if the Fender Blues Jr. and Marshall Class 5 are jam and/or gigable without being mic'd. I don't want a Deluxe since they aren't much smaller than my Twin and I want fidelity over volume. I love my Twin, but I rarely aired it out past 2.

regardless you know you have to get the house to yourself and blast that bad boy one more time before gettin rid of it.

Jaimoe

Quote from: Luna Moth on Nov 02, 2011, 08:03 PM
Quote from: Jaimoe on Nov 02, 2011, 07:22 PM

regardless you know you have to get the house to yourself and blast that bad boy one more time before gettin rid of it.

I live in a 100 year old house that's been converted into two semis. My neighbours are always home, but yeah, I think I'll have to air it out one more time.