Main Menu

Springsteen

Started by ericm, Nov 11, 2011, 07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrWhippy

Quote from: ericm on Mar 06, 2012, 07:53 PM

My favorites so far are: Shackled and Drawn, Death To My Hometown, This Depression, You've Got It, and one of my all-time faves; Land Of Hope And Dreams. That one sounds SO good, love that he finally put it out on an album.

Looking forward to seeing some of these new ones live.

We see pretty eye to eye on the things we like on the new record.  I really like the energy of Shackled and Drawn and Death to My Hometown. 

I also agree that it is cool to finally hear a studio version of Land of Hope and Dreams and to have it really do the song justice and live up to what that song is in a live setting.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

ericm

Here's Bruce's SXSW Keynote Address.

Great stuff, imo, so if you have some time, check it out:

Bruce Springsteen - SXSW - Keynote Address - HD
"Where's Jim going?"

ericm

Here's the setlist from tonight's tour opening show in Atlanta:

8:10

1. We Take Care of Our Own
2. Wrecking Ball
3. Badlands
4. Death to My Hometown
5. My City of Ruins
6. E-Street Shuffle
7. Jack of All Trades
8. Seeds
9. Easy Money
10. Waitin' On a Sunny Day
11. The Promised Land
12. The Way You Do The Things You Do
13. 634-5789
14. Shackled & Drawn
15. Lonesome Day
16. The Rising
17. We Are Alive
18. Thunder Road

19. Rocky Ground
20. Land of Hope & Dreams
21. BORN TO RUN
22. Dancing In the Dark
23. American Land
24. Tenth Ave Freeze Out

10:43

All but two songs from the new album got played. 24 songs, and 2:33 for the tour opener is promising,imo.  8) Last US tour the opener was 22 songs and around 2:20. By the end of the 2nd leg the shows were 27-31 songs, and running 3:00 - 3:20, so we're off to a good start! :beer:

Personally I could do without Waitin, Lonesome Day, and American Land. They've been played out. Time to retire these three,imo.

Love seeing Thunder Road to close out the main set.  :thumbsup:  I'm sure the encores will see some tinkering as usual, just hope DITD and AL are the ones he tinkers with. Tenth to close the show is gold! :thumbsup:
"Where's Jim going?"

MrWhippy

Due to a fortuitously times business trip, I'll be at the Tampa show on Friday.  I'll report back about it.

headhunter

Thanks for the post Eric.

I can also do without Waiting and Lonesome Day.  Us oldtimers always prefer more stuff from Darkness and earlier and anything from the River is always good. 

Guessing this early leg will be chock full of WB material and seeds-recession themed stuff.

For Bruce, a mediocre setlist can still be an awesome show when the energy is strong.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

ericm

Quote from: MrWhippy on Mar 19, 2012, 05:17 AM
Due to a fortuitously times business trip, I'll be at the Tampa show on Friday.  I'll report back about it.

Lucky you Jon! I'll be looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

It's a pretty nice venue. I was there with my daughter for the "Danny" show,and there were a ton of NY/NJ people there. Almost felt like a hometown show. Though I think Danny's passing had a lot to do with that.

Do you have tix yet? Because I know for that show some great seats were released the day of the show, as they were for yesterday's Atlanta, and today's Greensboro shows.

If you haven't got a ticket yet, keep checking TM, and look for those drops. Good luck, and enjoy the show. :beer:
"Where's Jim going?"

ericm

Quote from: headhunter on Mar 19, 2012, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the post Eric.

I can also do without Waiting and Lonesome Day.  Us oldtimers always prefer more stuff from Darkness and earlier and anything from the River is always good. 

Guessing this early leg will be chock full of WB material and seeds-recession themed stuff.

For Bruce, a mediocre setlist can still be an awesome show when the energy is strong.

You got it Jeff, and I prefer the term... "seasoned vet".  ;)

I'd always rather have some older stuff, but with his catalog of songs, I'd take just about anything at this point over Waiting, Lonesome Day, and American Land. They've just been played too much,imo. Hell, this is like the 4th tour in a row that AL is still in the encores!! From what I was told he used a different song for the band intros last night, so he really doesn't need to do this one anymore,imo. I'd even take a Glory Days over AL, and God knows we've all heard that one a ton over the years. ;)

It was just the first show, and like all other tours, it's going to take a little bit to see what works. I'm fine with that, and hopefully by Philly, and MSG they'll be in top form. I'm sure by the time the 2nd leg rolls around, it'll look like a completely different show, as it usually does.

Really looking forward to seeing some of those Wrecking Ball songs live.  See you at MSG! :beer:
"Where's Jim going?"

MrWhippy

Quote from: ericm on Mar 19, 2012, 12:32 PM
Quote from: MrWhippy on Mar 19, 2012, 05:17 AM

Lucky you Jon! I'll be looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

It's a pretty nice venue. I was there with my daughter for the "Danny" show,and there were a ton of NY/NJ people there. Almost felt like a hometown show. Though I think Danny's passing had a lot to do with that.

Do you have tix yet? Because I know for that show some great seats were released the day of the show, as they were for yesterday's Atlanta, and today's Greensboro shows.

If you haven't got a ticket yet, keep checking TM, and look for those drops. Good luck, and enjoy the show. :beer:

Thanks for the tip.  I haven't gotten a ticket for the Tampa show yet, as it seems like a buyers market even without any drops.  I'll check TM as things get closer.

TheThird

Does anyone know where I can get a bootleg of the Atlanta show? It was one heck of a show!  :D
[url="http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection"]http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection[/url]

ericm

Well, well. No chance Bruce reads these boards eh Jeff?  ;)

Tonight in Greensboro had pretty much the same setlist as Atlanta except:

#15 - in - Because The Night !!  Out - Lonesome Day 
#23 - in - Rosalita!!   Out - American Land

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Now if he only drops "Waiting" we'll be all set, but two out of three ain't bad.  ;)

"Where's Jim going?"

headhunter

Quote from: ericm on Mar 19, 2012, 11:07 PM
Well, well. No chance Bruce reads these boards eh Jeff?  ;)

Tonight in Greensboro had pretty much the same setlist as Atlanta except:

#15 - in - Because The Night !!  Out - Lonesome Day 
#23 - in - Rosalita!!   Out - American Land

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Now if he only drops "Waiting" we'll be all set, but two out of three ain't bad.  ;)

These were two mighty fine audibles and good positive changes.  Bring it on!
was some shakin' and some record playin'

johnnYYac

The latest Rolling Stone

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

MrWhippy

Ha!  "Waiting on a Sunny Day" has got to be the most hated concert staple of the past few years among hardcore fans. 

Of all the songs to have been completely constant in setlists for the last 10 years, why that one???

ericm

Quote from: MrWhippy on Mar 20, 2012, 05:46 PM

Ha!  "Waiting on a Sunny Day" has got to be the most hated concert staple of the past few years among hardcore fans. 

Of all the songs to have been completely constant in setlists for the last 10 years, why that one???

I think because it's a sing-along-hit that is fun for the newbies. Plus it's a crowd pleaser where he usually gets a little kid or someone up on stage with him to sing a verse or dance. It can be fun once or twice, maybe even three times, but not every night of a tour for the past ten years!

It's definitely run it's course as far as I'm concerned, and I would think even Bruce would be tired of doing this one as he says "night after night after night". I'd much rather get a " Spirit In The Night" or another Rising tune. Hopefully he'll decide to retire "Waiting" soon. It's due to be shelved,imo.
"Where's Jim going?"

ericm

Here's a little primer for your show in Tampa, Mr. Whippy.

The sound could be better, bet here's the "E St. Shuffle" from the other night in Greensboro. What do ya think? I'd say they could use a few more people on stage. ;D

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band - E Street Shuffle (Greensboro)
"Where's Jim going?"

MrWhippy

Quote from: ericm on Mar 21, 2012, 12:10 AM

The sound could be better, bet here's the "E St. Shuffle" from the other night in Greensboro. What do ya think? I'd say they could use a few more people on stage. ;D

Yes, it's more like an orchestra at this point.  I know I'm probably very much in the minority on this, but I actually prefer Springsteen solo shows over band shows, mostly due to the number of people onstage at band shows. 

Even with the previous regular E Street Band lineup, I think the number of people onstage dilutes the power of it to some degree (3 to four guitars at one time, two keyboards, etc.).  I'm just ultimately more moved by seeing Springsteen on a stage all by himself having to carry the whole thing by himself.   

ericm

Quote from: MrWhippy on Mar 21, 2012, 06:11 AM
Quote from: ericm on Mar 21, 2012, 12:10 AM

Yes, it's more like an orchestra at this point.  I know I'm probably very much in the minority on this, but I actually prefer Springsteen solo shows over band shows, mostly due to the number of people onstage at band shows. 

Even with the previous regular E Street Band lineup, I think the number of people onstage dilutes the power of it to some degree (3 to four guitars at one time, two keyboards, etc.).  I'm just ultimately more moved by seeing Springsteen on a stage all by himself having to carry the whole thing by himself.   

I always loved the 7 member E St. Band, but I can't argue with you on seeing Bruce solo. Always a treat.  Truth be told though, I love seeing Bruce with a full horn section, so I think this time around will be a treat for me. I'm going to have to wait and see for myself about having backup singers, and extra percussionists. Looks like there's some light effects this tour also.  :o Bruce has rarely ever failed me live, so I'm sure my faith will be rewarded again this tour! ;)

Curious to hear your thoughts on the "Big Band" in Tampa. Looking forward to hearing about it before I head to the Philly shows next week.  :beer:
"Where's Jim going?"

Jackets N Pones

Quote from: ericm on Jan 28, 2012, 05:44 PM
Quote from: mahg33ta on Jan 28, 2012, 05:11 PM
I tried for Boston today and was shut out.    Typical spinning wheels and "your wait time is 6 minutes crap".   I don't care too much either way (don't shoot me Bruce-lovers) but my friend Sean is a huge fan and was busy at 10 am today so I was trying for him and failed.

More shows in a lot more cities, and I'm sure the Northeast will see a few multi-night stands. A much easier ticket to get, and even better shows,imo. There's already talk of a Yankee Stadium show, Wrigley Field's already booked, some at Met - Life, and other Stadiums too. Those are sure to satisfy the ticket demand, and make the 2nd leg arena shows an easier get.

Any idea when the 2nd leg dates will be announced? Still trying to decide which Jazzfest weekend I am going attend. If only Bruce and MMJ were back to back days...

This album is definitely going to sound amazing live. My favorites are Death to My Hometown (Does anybody else hear the shotgun blast 3/4 of the way through the song?), Wrecking Ball (not even a Giants fan), You've Got It, and obviously Land of Hope and Dreams. I also love that American Land made the deluxe edition. Just so damn fun to dance to.

Also, below is a Tom Joad burner from SXSW.

Bruce Springsteen and Tom Morello - Ghost Of Tom Joad [HD] LIVE SXSW 2012
Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire

ericm

It's hard to say when the 2nd leg will be announced. You can never tell with Landau Management. If the past is any indication, I don't think it'll be soon though, at least as far as the rumored Fall/Arena shows go.

If I had to guess, I'd say maybe by the time the first US leg finishes up at the earliest,imo. They usually announce  Stadium shows ( if any) first, and well in advance so they can unload a bunch of tix, and take advantage of the 1st leg buzz . Then they'll announce any arenas after that, and closer to the actual dates of those shows. That's how I remember the last few Giants Stadium runs, and 2nd legs went. Summer Stadium/  a couple of months ahead, arenas/ weeks ahead. I'll see if I can find out exactly when the announcements came during the last few tours. My memory ain't what it used to be. ;)
"Where's Jim going?"

MrWhippy

So far the only rewarding thing about repeatedly checking Ticketmaster for releases of prime seats for the Tampa show tomorrow was the chuckle I got from one of the captcha words being "upbut".

No good ticket drops yet, but I'm holding out in hopes that faith will be rewarded.