Albums that disappointed in 2011

Started by Penny Lane, Dec 18, 2011, 05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penny Lane

Going off of MJK's list in the Top 10 thread:

Doesn't necessarily mean I don't like these albums, but just didn't meet expectations:

MMJ
Bright Eyes
Bon Iver
Fleet Foxes
AA Bondy
Deer Tick

but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Feist
MMJ
Bright Eyes

borderline mention:
Radiohead (it should have been more than 8songs)

e_wind

Id have to disagree with Bright Eyes. I didn't like it more than MMJ, but MMJ was disappointing and Bright Eyes exceeded expectations to me. I thought it was the best Bright Eyes album yet.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

wolof7

Feist
Iron and Wine
Ryan Adams
Blitzen Trapper
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

mjk73

I would add Radiohead's to this list. I thought it was awful. I do not understand why they continue making this dreck. It's like they forgot they can play guitar.

Bon Iver - Boring
Fleet Foxes - I liked it at first but grew bored with it fast
Circuital - I'm sorry, I think it's not a great album. Outside of Victory Dance and the title track, it does nothing for me.
DBT - They need an extended break. Or maybe I need a break from them. Outside of Used To Be A Cop, this album did absolutly nothing for me.

YouAre_GivenToFly

The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

wolof7

HA did that get u hot under the collar YAGTF? In fairness, I did not dislike the album, just my least favorite I&W album.

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: wolof7 on Dec 18, 2011, 09:37 PM
HA did that get u hot under the collar YAGTF? In fairness, I did not dislike the album, just my least favorite I&W album.

Haha just a little ribbing. I really liked the album... and for a number of reasons this album really did it for me this year.

And please call me Dan. I still love Pearl Jam, but I hate my username here  ;D
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

woodnymph

Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

Shug

Biggest musical disappointment of 2011: The Jayhawks - Mockingbird Time

Original lineup reunites and the guy (one of the two primary singers/songwriters) that quit the band just when they were getting successful in 1995, comes back 15 years later and drags the whole thing down to worse than mediocre and the rest of the band seems perfectly content to let him do it.  Yeah, I'm a little bitter. 
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

Penny Lane

Shug, almost listed Jayhawks but haven't listened enough...first few listens..blah...

and wolof----AGREE with woody and YAGTF----I&W's album is terrific! Probably my favorite yet...think this album brought it all together for songwriting... ;)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

headhunter

Quote from: Shug on Dec 19, 2011, 09:37 AM
Biggest musical disappointment of 2011: The Jayhawks - Mockingbird Time

Original lineup reunites and the guy (one of the two primary singers/songwriters) that quit the band just when they were getting successful in 1995, comes back 15 years later and drags the whole thing down to worse than mediocre and the rest of the band seems perfectly content to let him do it.  Yeah, I'm a little bitter.

yes, I would put this one up as the biggiest disappointment of the year. Saw them earlier in the year doing Tomorrow The Green Grass and thought it was terrific.  This album is a snooze.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

Dingo

ManNamedTruth

That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

sweatboard

DBT and Isbell

They need to get back together, that's all there is to it.
There's Still Time.........

bold992006

DBT
Isbell
MMJ
Deer Tick.

all bands and artists I generally like...but can barely listen to any of these albums.  MMJ I think I listened to one and half times before I had enough.  DBT need to revamp bigtime. 

el_chode

My answer is: 2011. All of it.

Nothing really blew me away this year. Not to say the releases sucked, but I'm not gonna say it was a good year for music.
I'm surrounded by assholes

davymac

Fleetfoxes

DBT - agree with sweatboard, they arent about to start doing it for me unless jason isabell comes back

Radiohead

wolof7

Quote from: el_chode on Dec 20, 2011, 06:18 PM

Nothing really blew me away this year. Not to say the releases sucked, but I'm not gonna say it was a good year for music.

If that's how you feel Chode, this guy agrees with you...

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-year-of-no-important-albums-and-many-good-reco,66818/

el_chode

Quote from: wolof7 on Dec 20, 2011, 08:12 PM
Quote from: el_chode on Dec 20, 2011, 06:18 PM

If that's how you feel Chode, this guy agrees with you...

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-year-of-no-important-albums-and-many-good-reco,66818/

Yes, the headline captures it perfectly. Even for MMJ, DBT, and the Keys - it's like a year of Zeppelin IIIs - awesome albums with great songs, but not Physical Graffitis, or even Zep IVs.
I'm surrounded by assholes