Main Menu

Floating Action

Started by Fully, Jan 19, 2012, 06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcoyote

Spoke with Seth very briefly after their (Shannon Whitworth Band) set on Sunday.  He said that the record would be shipped out this week, and sure enough when I woke up yesterday morning, I had a email from paypal.  It is currently in Greensboro, so it will be here tomorrow.  I've never heard the record, proper.  I've heard some cuts off the Daytrotter session.  Kinda decided once I realized that it was going to be released on vinyl, I would wait it out.  YouTube Shannon Whitworth White Squirrel, and you can see a video of them playing together.  As my wife wife remarked, "Seth has some stylin shoes on!" Very nice fella. 

crooney

Just listened to the 'Desert Etiquette' LP for the first time.  Record sounds fantastic!!  IMHO, it is hard to beat in the mud, the balance, rincon as a run of songs.  Songwriting and melody off the charts!!  Big smile on my face this evening!!  Find this record.

Come Closer

Quote from: crooney on May 30, 2013, 08:33 PM
Find this record.

I found it today and will be spinning it tomorrow for certain. Can't wait like Bart Scott.

justbcuzido

Quote from: crooney on May 30, 2013, 08:33 PM
Just listened to the 'Desert Etiquette' LP for the first time.  Record sounds fantastic!!  IMHO, it is hard to beat in the mud, the balance, rincon as a run of songs.  Songwriting and melody off the charts!!  Big smile on my face this evening!!  Find this record.

Mine came in the mail yesterday and it sounds fantastic.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

Fully

Mine arrived yesterday too, but for some reason I had it shipped to my work. I guess I need to go up there and get it since I've got the next two months off.

oistheone

Still haven't got a shipping notification, but I'm eagerly awaiting one. Really looking forward to hearing this. I get the feeling "In The Mud" alone will be worth the price of admission.

Mr. White

I read on The Steam Engine's feed of Tweets from MMJ and its members -

@jimjames
COME SEE the one and only FLOATING ACTION with the wondrous LYDIA BURRELL this sat june 8 at ZBAR: https://t.co/8qXT73z9p7 not to be missed!

I am planning on going!
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: Mr. White on Jun 08, 2013, 02:31 PM

@jimjames
COME SEE the one and only FLOATING ACTION with the wondrous LYDIA BURRELL this sat june 8 at ZBAR: https://t.co/8qXT73z9p7 not to be missed!

I am planning on going!

Oooh, would love a review! :thumbsup:
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

Mr. White

Quote from: SaraBananaBear on Jun 09, 2013, 03:10 PM

@jimjames

I am planning on going!

I am new to Floating Action. I had only watched a couple of their videos on YouTube before going to last night's show. After their set, I did buy their Fake Blood album on vinyl and am in the process of downloading it using the included download card. Overall, I liked them a lot. The audience was a bit thin. They were supposed to start playing at 9:00 pm, but there weren't hardly any paying customers at that time. I settled down in a booth to eat before the show got going. Not long before the show started (around 10:00 pm), Deidra and her roommate joined me for a couple of drinks. When the show started, we all stood up to get a better view (by 10:00, the crowd had finally started to grow to an acceptable size). Jim James, his drummer Dave Givan, and his friend and fellow musician Daniel Martin Moore were all there for the entire evening as well. I tried to get a couple of photos of Floating Action, but with the low lighting and not using a flash, I only got underexposed and blurry images. Here is one of Floating Action that seems to reflect their name a bit.

The headliner was the Louisville band, Lydia Burrell. The audience was a little more excited to see them. (They were playing their very last show with their bass player, who was leaving the band in order to raise his children. The guitar player said they would be taking a break while they tried to figure out what to do about their next album release and how to move forward as a band.) I liked them a lot. Even though they had some technical issues with unwanted distortion from the guitar during two or three songs, their playing was very tight. Here are a few photos of Lydia Burrell. I was able to get better pictures of them since I had worked my way closer to the stage for their set.

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Waddy Peytona

Quote from: Mr. White on Jun 09, 2013, 05:28 PM

@jimjames

I am planning on going!

I am new to Floating Action. I had only watched a couple of their videos on YouTube before going to last night's show. After their set, I did buy their Fake Blood album on vinyl and am in the process of downloading it using the included download card. Overall, I liked them a lot. The audience was a bit thin. They were supposed to start playing at 9:00 pm, but there weren't hardly any paying customers at that time. I settled down in a booth to eat before the show got going. Not long before the show started (around 10:00 pm), Deidra and her roommate joined me for a couple of drinks. When the show started, we all stood up to get a better view (by 10:00, the crowd had finally started to grow to an acceptable size). Jim James, his drummer Dave Givan, and his friend and fellow musician Daniel Martin Moore were all there for the entire evening as well. I tried to get a couple of photos of Floating Action, but with the low lighting and not using a flash, I only got underexposed and blurry images. Here is one of Floating Action that seems to reflect their name a bit.

The headliner was the Louisville band, Lydia Burrell. The audience was a little more excited to see them. (They were playing their very last show with their bass player, who was leaving the band in order to raise his children. The guitar player said they would be taking a break while they tried to figure out what to do about their next album release and how to move forward as a band.) I liked them a lot. Even though they had some technical issues with unwanted distortion from the guitar during two or three songs, their playing was very tight. Here are a few photos of Lydia Burrell. I was able to get better pictures of them since I had worked my way closer to the stage for their set.

I know there was a sellout show over at Headliners, which probably kept attendance down. But I liked the smaller crowd. It made for a very intimate show.

rjlemons

I saw Floating Action at The Stone Fox in Nashville on Friday night. The crowd was fairly small as the venue is quite small but the intimacy was great. They played very well and I only wish they could have played longer. I almost went to Louisville for a second dose on Saturday night but decided against it and now I'm regretting it!

I'm glad you had fun at the Louisville gig, Mr. White, and I hope you enjoy your Fake Blood album. If you like Fake Blood, you should definitely get their other two albums. Their music is in my rotation daily and I never get tired of it.

My phone doesn't have the best audio when taking videos but here's a video of Not What I Came For.

http://youtu.be/pIHbDskXbgY

oistheone

Did anyone else benefit from the Desert Etiquette vinyl download code mixup that gave a copy of the instrumental version rather than the finished product with vocals? I sure did! This instrumental version is DOPE!

Hawkeye

I was wondering about that!  I haven't tried my download yet.  I hope I got the instrumental version...if not, hoping you can share!  :kiss:
We could.

crooney

oistheone, many thx for the headsup on the download.  I didn't bother to download the mp3s at first because I have the album on my ipod. used my code to download the instrumentals last night.  Just killer, will be in the rotation for a long time!! 

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: Mr. White on Jun 09, 2013, 05:28 PM

@jimjames

I am planning on going!

Great review, thanks! :thumbsup: Really wish I could have gone to that show.

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: oistheone on Jul 03, 2013, 05:05 PM
Did anyone else benefit from the Desert Etiquette vinyl download code mixup that gave a copy of the instrumental version rather than the finished product with vocals? I sure did! This instrumental version is DOPE!

Interesting! Thanks for sharing, will try this asap.  :thumbsup:

Hawkeye

I will share the instrumentals if anyone needs/wants them.
We could.

oistheone

Did anyone check out the show last week at the Mothlight? Really wish I was there. Word on the street is they played an epic 30+ song set, debuting a shitload of material in the process. New album is out in April, so I'm hoping that means tour dates in the spring.

One of my goals for 2014 is to see Floating Action as much as I possibly can. I'm beyond due for a trip to Asheville.

Hawkeye

I tried to get into the Mothlight but it was sold out  :cry:

Thought about purchasing tickets ahead of time but didn't think I'd get wife approval...that night I decide to say "F it" and ask her...she says yes, but by that time it's sold out.  I tried to slip the door guy some $$ to let me in, but no dice.  I heard a few songs from outside the front door.  And then went next door for a few beers to drown my sorrows.
We could.

jcoyote

Saw them @ French Broad River Fest.  They just killed it.  Heard what I think was three new songs, which I loved from the getgo.  Can't wait to actually get a copy of the record.  From what I understand, it will be August.  Just happy to see them play, although since it was a fest, it was only one hour 15 minutes.  Wished it would have been longer, but glad to have witnessed it.