Main Menu

Floating Action

Started by Fully, Jan 19, 2012, 06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkeye

Yeah I talked to him for a bit at their show with the Fruit Bats at the Emerald Lounge here in Asheville...nice guy.  I was a little bit drunk though and didn't immediately get the hint that he just wanted to watch the Fruit Bats' set lol.

New album is definitely solid.  I get "Matador" in my head quite a bit...need to listen to this again, it's been a few months.  Hopefully I will make the show on 11/3, but I doubt it...unless babies get in free!  Haha.
We could.

Fully

Quote from: Hawkeye on Oct 19, 2012, 12:34 PM
Yeah I talked to him for a bit at their show with the Fruit Bats at the Emerald Lounge here in Asheville...nice guy.  I was a little bit drunk though and didn't immediately get the hint that he just wanted to watch the Fruit Bats' set lol.

New album is definitely solid.  I get "Matador" in my head quite a bit...need to listen to this again, it's been a few months.  Hopefully I will make the show on 11/3, but I doubt it...unless babies get in free!  Haha.
You know I like Fake Blood, but I think I like Desert Ettiquette and the self-titled album more.

jcoyote

Quote from: Hawkeye on Oct 19, 2012, 12:34 PM

The 11/3 show is at the art museum.  It is part of the "Arts & Draughts" party, so it may be an older crowd.  I see now that Floating Action is scheduled to start at 10:00, so that will keep me from bringing my youngins, although they do like the music.  As others have stated when their five year olds start singing MMJ, it is cool to hear "Play something we know, like "Don't Stop Loving Me Now!!" and they sing the title, with their voice cracking on the "now" part. 

Hey Hawkeye, you're in Asheville?  Did you by chance catch that Lemonheads/Psychedelic Furs show @ The Orange Peel?  I would love to see The Lemonheads w/ Julianna.  I did see them in the 90's on the Car, Button, Cloth tour w/ Murph playing the drums.  I loved me some Julianna in the 90's. 

Ok, I just realized that you were referring to the Asheville show, while I was referring to the Columbia show on 11/2.  It has been a long day.  Instead of deleting my obvious lack of paying attention, I left it in there. 

BH

Quote from: jcoyote on Oct 25, 2012, 05:16 PM

Hey Hawkeye, you're in Asheville?  Did you by chance catch that Lemonheads/Psychedelic Furs show @ The Orange Peel?  I would love to see The Lemonheads w/ Julianna.  I did see them in the 90's on the Car, Button, Cloth tour w/ Murph playing the drums.  I loved me some Julianna in the 90's. 

Did you see they were recording a new album (Lemonheads) with Ryan Adams producing.    How great is that!   I love the Lemonheads.   I keep missing them when they come around.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

jcoyote

Quote from: BH on Oct 26, 2012, 12:49 AM
Did you see they were recording a new album (Lemonheads) with Ryan Adams producing.    How great is that!   I love the Lemonheads.   I keep missing them when they come around.

No, I didn't.  I will be on the lookout.  I also didn't realize that Neal Casal played with Ryan.  I will have to go back and view my Jamaica DVD to see if he played with them at that time.  I don't think he did, because the guitarist on that dvd toured with Son Volt when I saw them play together.  It must have been later when he was a member of the Cardinals?  I listened to Ryan Adams around the Gold period. 

Pretty cool that Murph played drums with The Lemonheads when I saw them, because I also put Dinosaur Jr. and Lemonheads together as being similar bands (at the time).  Kinda like when we got to see Toad the Wet Sprocket and Big Head Todd play a show together. 

Hawkeye

Jcoyote - yeah I'm in Asheville.  I've lived here since June...I didn't catch that show but I wish I had!

Saturday night Floating Action is playing but I think I'm going to have to see White Denim instead.  Wish I could catch both shows!
We could.

jcoyote

Right on!!  We don't get too many people coming through Columbia, so this is a treat.  Might have gone to Asheville, but am very glad I did not have to, although I love Asheville.  Reasonable $ downtown lodging is the suck.  Cannot wait to see this band. White Denim/Maps & Atlases is the source of the new vinyl offered by Daytrotter. 

Seth plays bass for the Shannon Whitworth band.  If you've not seen them (or her solo), you are definitely missing out.  Barrett Smith is now officially in her band, and they make a delightful duo.  Please check out their duet cd.  It is all covers.  I wanted them to call it "Let's Pull Back the Covers," but it did not "float," so to speak.  They named it "Bring it On Home." 

It is a very good album to listen to on a quiet Friday night, after you've grilled some salmon on a plank, drinking a bottle of wine or a nice Belgian Farmhouse Ale (Le Merle).  I know that is specific, but try it. 

Ghosts_on_TV

Jesus Christ, they played The Bog and I missed it.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Hawkeye

Quote from: jcoyote on Nov 01, 2012, 05:10 PM
Right on!!  We don't get too many people coming through Columbia, so this is a treat.  Might have gone to Asheville, but am very glad I did not have to, although I love Asheville.  Reasonable $ downtown lodging is the suck.  Cannot wait to see this band. White Denim/Maps & Atlases is the source of the new vinyl offered by Daytrotter. 

Seth plays bass for the Shannon Whitworth band.  If you've not seen them (or her solo), you are definitely missing out.  Barrett Smith is now officially in her band, and they make a delightful duo.  Please check out their duet cd.  It is all covers.  I wanted them to call it "Let's Pull Back the Covers," but it did not "float," so to speak.  They named it "Bring it On Home." 

It is a very good album to listen to on a quiet Friday night, after you've grilled some salmon on a plank, drinking a bottle of wine or a nice Belgian Farmhouse Ale (Le Merle).  I know that is specific, but try it.

I love Le Merle  :smiley:   :thumbsup:   :beer:

Will check that out!  I haven't looked into Asheville downtown lodging...are you saying it's cheap (I believe you are)?  Also, you can crash at our place i you ever need/want to.  We have an extra bedroom.  We are not downtown but only about 5-10 min from downtown.  I used to do the whole Couchsurfing thing...speaking of that, it's been awhile since I've checked that site...so I'm no stranger to hosting strangers.
We could.

jcoyote

Quote from: Hawkeye on Nov 02, 2012, 11:48 AM
I love Le Merle  :smiley:   :thumbsup:   :beer:

Will check that out!  I haven't looked into Asheville downtown lodging...are you saying it's cheap (I believe you are)?  Also, you can crash at our place i you ever need/want to.  We have an extra bedroom.  We are not downtown but only about 5-10 min from downtown.  I used to do the whole Couchsurfing thing...speaking of that, it's been awhile since I've checked that site...so I'm no stranger to hosting strangers.

That is very gracious of you!!  No, I was not clear.  Downtown lodging in Asheville is ridiculously priced.  When we go to Asheville, we park when we get there and never move the car.  We stay at the Marriott, but it has gotten to be around $200+, w/ a minimum sometimes.  The Sheraton is cheaper, but not as nice.  We used to stay at the Days Inn, but that is now only a guys weekend.  Wife won't stay there any longer, not that I blame her.  Continental breakfast are packages of pecan spins and donuts.  You get what you pay for.  Went there one time and there was no heat. That kinda place.  Convenient to Thirsty Monk/Green Man, though!!

Floating Action blew the roof off the museum Friday night!!  Got a chance to pick up that split 7" and talk w/ Seth.  What a very nice guy. You can see it in his eyes that there is a lot of ideas going on in his head.  Their bassist is incredible.  Loved to watch him play.   Played the bass like a lead guitar.  Very actively. 

Fully

Floating Action just announced that they are selling a split 7" for $16.00 with Benny Yurco. You can purchase it directly from Seth via paypal email floatingaction@gmail.com

BH

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Fully

Quote from: BH on Nov 28, 2012, 05:51 PM
'Matador' Floating Action

Kind of reminds me of the 20 Minute Workout. I bet some of you men who are close to my age remember that. All the boys loved that show.

http://youtu.be/RA1Y6ks2OPw

oistheone

Was anyone else totally blown away by the recording equipment breakdown that Seth posted today? I am a gear nerd and LOVE reading about that kinda stuff.

Fully

I read it, but it was a bit over my head. I'm not well versed in the technical side of music. It was an interesting article though.

Fully

BH and anyone else still in this thread - I got an email this morning that says that in addition to the Port Chester show, they are playing a NYE show and plan on playing Nashville, Hattiesburg, New Orleans, Shreveport, and Little Rock. They are looking for places to play in Birmingham, Chattanooga, and Memphis.

BH

Quote from: Fully on Dec 04, 2012, 10:23 AM
BH and anyone else still in this thread - I got an email this morning that says that in addition to the Port Chester show, they are playing a NYE show and plan on playing Nashville, Hattiesburg, New Orleans, Shreveport, and Little Rock. They are looking for places to play in Birmingham, Chattanooga, and Memphis.

Nothing about St. Louis.   :huh:

I made need to schedule a work trip to Little Rock or Memphis....

Fully

Quote from: BH on Dec 04, 2012, 10:26 AM
Quote from: Fully on Dec 04, 2012, 10:23 AM

Nothing about St. Louis.   :huh:

I made need to schedule a work trip to Little Rock or Memphis....
I forgot the NYE show is in Asheville. You could always come to Nashville. It will be nice when he sends out the dates so I can really start making my plans.

jcoyote

I tell ya, Fake Blood is really doing for me!  I absolutely love this record. 

Funny story with the cd that came with the S/T vinyl.  My wife has a Pilot, and we were riding down the road at night.  I put the disc in the top cd player.  Well, it never played.  I simply could not find the disc anywhere.  Noticed the next day there is a gap in the dash and the cd player, so now I have to take the stereo out of the dash to retrieve the disc.  Or I could just download Floating Version. 

oistheone

Glad to see this thread is back up top -- was just about to bump it myself, for no other reason than to say I am SO EFFIN' JUICED for the show on the 29th. I doubt these guys will ever come to Toronto, so I'm looking at this show as a double-bill rather than an opening slot!