Main Menu

Floating Action

Started by Fully, Jan 19, 2012, 06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaraBananaBear

I wish they would come to Europe and tour too! Please write a review/reviews for the show/shows you go to Fully! :thumbsup: And everyone else should go with you, such a great band, woop!
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

oistheone

How badly I wish I could hit up every show on that mini-tour! Fully, enjoy the hell out of the Nashville show at least -- hopefully more! I'd love to see the setlists from these headlining shows.

My theory is, whenever they come north of Asheville, I'm going! In fact I'd go to the Asheville show this week if I just had a little more notice before it was announced!

Fully

Yeah, I question the organization. How can a tour attract much notice without much time or publicity? I've never been to this venue or even heard of it. It's in a part of Nashville I rarely go. With a week's notice, I easily expect to be one of very few in attendance. If I didn't have to work this week, I would drive to Birmingham to see them. I guess I'll be a responsible adult instead. Plus, I'm still recovering from the Port Chester virus that many of us caught.

oistheone

Awww man, Benny Yurco (guitarist with Grace Potter & the Nocturnals) is playing with Floating Action in Nashville! Not opening, either -- he's sitting in with the band for the night! You're in for a treat Fully!

The Yurco/Floating Action split single is the best record I've got my hands on in a long time. I dare to say that on "Without Rain", the Floating Action side of this 45, Seth has NEVER been funkier. Just a lovely tune. Big time Wailers vibe. And "This Is A Future", the Yurco tune, has Benny and Seth jamming on a groove so funky it probably needs a shower. Plus, each side comes with a minute-long instrumental after the song. The Yurco instrumental is FUN and the Floating Action instrumental is a TRIP.

Really hoping you recover in time to enjoy the shit outta this show Fully! My well-wishes are not only aimed at wanting you to have a great time, but also selfishly, because I want a show report and Floating Action show reports pretty much don't exist.

Fully

Quote from: oistheone on Jan 08, 2013, 01:19 PM
Awww man, Benny Yurco (guitarist with Grace Potter & the Nocturnals) is playing with Floating Action in Nashville! Not opening, either -- he's sitting in with the band for the night! You're in for a treat Fully!

The Yurco/Floating Action split single is the best record I've got my hands on in a long time. I dare to say that on "Without Rain", the Floating Action side of this 45, Seth has NEVER been funkier. Just a lovely tune. Big time Wailers vibe. And "This Is A Future", the Yurco tune, has Benny and Seth jamming on a groove so funky it probably needs a shower. Plus, each side comes with a minute-long instrumental after the song. The Yurco instrumental is FUN and the Floating Action instrumental is a TRIP.

Really hoping you recover in time to enjoy the shit outta this show Fully! My well-wishes are not only aimed at wanting you to have a great time, but also selfishly, because I want a show report and Floating Action show reports pretty much don't exist.

I'll  try to take a video or two. I'll definitely enjoy the show. I'm excited and am bringing a new fan with me.

oistheone

This thread deserves a bump to echo all the love that FA has been getting lately from Jim. How incredibly fortunate Seth is to have a fan with such influence! His Facebook and Twitter fan numbers are growing daily and I couldn't be happier for him. Hopefully he announces some new dates soon!

johnnYYac

I bought a couple of FA albums, yet to arrive, based solely on Jim's recommendation.

I tend to like his taste in music.  :drum:
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

BH

Quote from: johnnYYac on Feb 05, 2013, 05:30 PM
I bought a couple of FA albums, yet to arrive, based solely on Jim's recommendation. I tend to like his taste in music.

I can't wait until all the new fans that bought Fake Blood go out and buy Desert Ettiquete and get their minds blown even further.    I love Fake Blood, but DE is a masterpiece.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

EverythingChanges

I just got Fake Blood a couple weeks ago, I love it!

I plan on picking up DE sometime soon.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

Fully

I really like the self titled one too. If I was going to rank them, I'd put Desert Etiquette no 1, The Self-titled one 2nd, and Fake Blood #3.

johnnYYac

I also have this 7" single coming from a record store in Maine...

"Two bands with endless respect and adoration for one another team up on this limited (2,500) vinyl release. Floating Action takes on the lead off track from Dr. Dog's album "Fate" with their rendition of "The Breeze". Dr. Dog (lead by drummer Juston Stens) covers the Floating Action ballad "Don't Stop (Loving Me Now)" on the flip.

According to the one review on Amazon, "The "Dr.Dog" track here was not actually recorded by Dr. Dog, but by their former drummer Juston Stens who played all the parts."
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

e_wind

I have that john, it's awesome
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

oistheone

For those who enjoy the albums, I'd highly recommend checking out all the Floating Action Daytrotter sessions as well. Daytrotter is one of the only places you can find high-quality live Floating Action recordings. The version of "Sunlight" on one of the sessions is UNBELIEVABLY SMOKIN' -- it's like a dubbed-out rebuke to the Beatles' "Rain".

The sessions also contain rockin' versions of "Digging" and "Get Your Love Stole", which were on Seth Kauffman albums before Seth Kauffman became Floating Action. Those early solo albums are ALSO recommended!

Wait a minute, did anyone even ASK for recommendations? Man, I listen to way much Floating Action.

BH

Quote from: oistheone on Feb 05, 2013, 10:53 PM
For those who enjoy the albums, I'd highly recommend checking out all the Floating Action Daytrotter sessions as well. Daytrotter is one of the only places you can find high-quality live Floating Action recordings. The version of "Sunlight" on one of the sessions is UNBELIEVABLY SMOKIN' -- it's like a dubbed-out rebuke to the Beatles' "Rain".

The sessions also contain rockin' versions of "Digging" and "Get Your Love Stole", which were on Seth Kauffman albums before Seth Kauffman became Floating Action. Those early solo albums are ALSO recommended!

Wait a minute, did anyone even ASK for recommendations? Man, I listen to way much Floating Action.

I want them!    Keep em coming.   I have to go to Seth Kauffman albums next!    What first?
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: BH on Feb 05, 2013, 11:21 PM
Quote from: oistheone on Feb 05, 2013, 10:53 PM

I want them!    Keep em coming.   I have to go to Seth Kauffman albums next!    What first?

Yes! Floating Action appreciation, keep it coming!  :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

jcoyote

Word is, hopefully Desert Ettiquette will be released on vinyl.  Hopefully, Seth will be making an appearance @ The Orange Peel.  Is there a "fingers crossed" emoticon?????

oistheone

Quote from: BH on Feb 05, 2013, 11:21 PM

I'd take a listen to each of the albums on Bandcamp before making any purchases.

Ting -- http://floatingactionmusic.bandcamp.com/album/ting-seth-kauffman
Research -- http://floatingactionmusic.bandcamp.com/album/research-seth-kauffman

If you can deal with the "no-fi" style of production, you will be rewarded! Great tunes with catchy melodies and those trademark Kauffman grooves. These albums definitely won't be for everyone, but to me, tunes like "Absolute Sway", "Ain't No Telling" and "One More Time" (just to name a few) find a way of sticking in my head and I find myself constantly coming back to them!

Quote from: jcoyote on Feb 06, 2013, 09:09 AM
Word is, hopefully Desert Ettiquette will be released on vinyl.  Hopefully, Seth will be making an appearance @ The Orange Peel.  Is there a "fingers crossed" emoticon?????

DE on vinyl will be a MUST BUY for me! The psychedelic funk of "In The Mud" was MADE to be spun on a platter.

oistheone

We could also use a "fingers crossed" emoticon to express my emotions towards Floating Action at Bonnaroo. PRAYING that this happens! They've got the relationship with ACE after they played Forecastle last year, and you KNOW Jim is pulling for them to get a slot on the farm. I guess it's supremely wishful thinking to think they could fill a tent but I think they would KILL IT as a Cafe act!

Fully

Quote from: oistheone on Feb 06, 2013, 12:59 PM
We could also use a "fingers crossed" emoticon to express my emotions towards Floating Action at Bonnaroo. PRAYING that this happens! They've got the relationship with ACE after they played Forecastle last year, and you KNOW Jim is pulling for them to get a slot on the farm. I guess it's supremely wishful thinking to think they could fill a tent but I think they would KILL IT as a Cafe act!
I predict the Bud Light tent.

oistheone

Looks like Seth has already cranked out a new album and is currently in the process of mixing it down in California! The best part part is that it's due for release within the year! WOO! Hopefully this means some dates this summer...