Main Menu

Floating Action

Started by Fully, Jan 19, 2012, 06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fully

I just saw where they will be playing in Birmingham on May 11 and 12 for the Secret Stages festival. Perhaps I'll make a drive south. It's only two hours away.

megalicious

I live like 30 minutes away from B'ham. Maybe I'll check it out.

Sent from my MB520 using Tapatalk
all facts begin as dreams dreamt by the wizard

SaraBananaBear

Obsessed with Fake Blood right now, been playing Harshness of the Blow about a gazillion times... so good! :) And this one is gold as well:

Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

Fully

I've been enjoying it myself. Float on, Sara!

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: Fully on Sep 05, 2012, 06:42 PM
I've been enjoying it myself. Float on, Sara!

Will do! :)
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

BH

Still waiting for my vinyl.   Ordered it late.   Can't wait!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

jcoyote

Not sure where my previous posts went on this thread.  Is that what all the jibber jabber is about with posts disappearing?  Anyway,  I was in Brevard, NC over the weekend for the fantastic Mountain Song Festival and could hear, but not see, Shannon Whitworth's set.  They sounded fantastic as usual, and they certainly deserve a thread to themselve's in the "Other Music" category.  As the band was being introduced, I hear "Seth Kaufman on bass."  I had no idea that he played w/ her.  I found out he has for some time, and I actually met him before as a member of her band.  He was on stage w/ MMJ in Charlotte, as I thought.  I spoke w/ her yesterday and told her I was a fan of his music.  It is a small world...She highly recommended Desert Etiquette, so that is what I will do. 

Fully

Quote from: jcoyote on Sep 10, 2012, 10:14 AM
Not sure where my previous posts went on this thread.  Is that what all the jibber jabber is about with posts disappearing?  Anyway,  I was in Brevard, NC over the weekend for the fantastic Mountain Song Festival and could hear, but not see, Shannon Whitworth's set.  They sounded fantastic as usual, and they certainly deserve a thread to themselve's in the "Other Music" category.  As the band was being introduced, I hear "Seth Kaufman on bass."  I had no idea that he played w/ her.  I found out he has for some time, and I actually met him before as a member of her band.  He was on stage w/ MMJ in Charlotte, as I thought.  I spoke w/ her yesterday and told her I was a fan of his music.  It is a small world...She highly recommended Desert Etiquette, so that is what I will do.

Dessert Etiquette is a good album and the first one I listened to. The new one Fake Blood is also quite good. But I think the one I like the most is the self-titled album.

jcoyote

Thank you, Fully!!  Yea, I pre-ordered Fake Blood and from what I've heard of it, I really like it.  I have not really sat down w/ it yet, as I've been away from the turntable for the most part of the past two weeks.  I will say it is a very nice pressing, flat and quiet.  I heard from the guy from Harvest Records following up on my order and commended him on it.  Seth has apparently been on the scene for quite a bit, but just as usual, I am totally unaware.  I'm getting better, though. 

I will say I am getting quite a lot of mileage out of the phrase "Not what I came for," as for example when I go to TJ Maxx with my wife, thinking all I'm going to be doing is picking out a package of coffee and some grilling tools for a three minute trip, while she proceeds to hit the racks for a 30 minute excursion and I say "This is not what I came for." 

What can I say?  I love when I can tie music into real life events!!

Fully

http://acedmagazine.com/floating-action-releases-jim-james-remix-of-not-what-i-came-for/

Floating Action Tour Dates!
9/26 Knoxville, TN at Pilot Light
9/27 Raleigh, NC at Kings Barcade
9/28 Charlottesville, VA at Random Row Books
9/29 Scranton, PA at The Bog
9/30 Philadelphia, PA at Kung Fu Necktie
10/1 New York, NY at Mercury Lounge
10/3 Boone, NC at Boone Saloon
11/2 Columbia, SC at "Arts & Draughts" at Columbia Museum of Art
11/3 Asheville, NC at Emerald Lounge

Also, Seth tweeted me today and told me he's working on a Nashville date in December. One hopes it is before the holidays and not while we are in Port Chester.

BH

Nashville and St. Louis hopefully!   New album is so sweet.   Love the production.   Reminds me of the old days.....
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

BH

BH

Fully

Nice find, Dave. I like the article link you posted too. I really need a pick me up today.

oistheone

The more I listen to Fake Blood , the more I realize this might be my favorite album of the year. "No Waves", "Silent Partner", "Complete the Myth" -- what tunes! And not that he was a slouch in the lyric department before, but I feel like Seth has stepped up his game even further in that department. Some lines from "Not What I Came For" just floor me:

QuoteI tried to bluff but all it did was raise the stakes

And my favorite:

QuoteYour destiny's chosen
It is what you think it is.

Bravo, Seth! Just wish the band would expand their touring itinerary a little. It's funny how good I think this band is, and how few people are even aware of them. It's like a sweet little secret club we're a part of. There was a great article FA posted the other day, with Seth saying that he is almost happy to be a cult figure who is a favorite amongst musicians. Just keep the tunes comin'!

oistheone

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who is EFFIN' JUICED that Floating Action will open the last night at the Cap. He's giving us forum folk some serious retweet lovin'! (Saw ya on there Fully and ewind!) Seth even said he was very open to my idea of helping curate his setlist with the BRAND NEW "Spontaneous Flotation Series"! I couldn't be more excited!

Fully

Quote from: oistheone on Oct 18, 2012, 11:53 AM
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who is EFFIN' JUICED that Floating Action will open the last night at the Cap. He's giving us forum folk some serious retweet lovin'! (Saw ya on there Fully and ewind!) Seth even said he was very open to my idea of helping curate his setlist with the BRAND NEW "Spontaneous Flotation Series"! I couldn't be more excited!
Now I know who you are on twitter!

e_wind

don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

oistheone

Quote from: Fully on Oct 18, 2012, 12:18 PM
Now I know who you are on twitter!

:thumbsup: Ya got me! Looking forward to seeing many more Floating Action-related retweets from all of us haha. I don't think any other musician even comes CLOSE to Seth's "fan accessibility-to-quality of music" ratio. The guy is making some of my favorite current music, yet always takes the time to write back an e-mail, reply to a tweet or even handwrite a note to toss in with a record. It's impossible not to like this guy!

jcoyote

Super excited to see them in Columbia on November 2nd!!  Been spending a lot of time w/ Fake Blood.  Will put it on and just keep flipping sides back and forth.  Remorse Code is a song I simply cannot get enough of.