Main Menu

Floating Action

Started by Fully, Jan 19, 2012, 06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkeye

Yep, I have been listening to Fake Blood and Desert Etiquette a lot lately...possibly because they're just about the only music on my iPhone, but enjoyable nonetheless   :thumbsup:

I hope that somehow I get to catch their New Year's Eve show here in Asheville, but most likely I'll be at home with the family...either way, a great way to ring in the new year!

I emailed the director of the Nelsonville Music Festival (Nelsonville, OH) suggesting he look into adding Floating Action to the line-up, if he can arrange it.  I also asked if they had ever tried to get MMJ...he said they had but have had no luck yet.

For those interested, I'm going to plug this festival again...it really is a great SMALL festival...maybe 3,000 people?  This year's headliners include Wilco and John Prine so far.

http://nelsonvillefest.org/
We could.

jcoyote

Quote from: Hawkeye on Dec 19, 2012, 02:32 PM
I hope that somehow I get to catch their New Year's Eve show here in Asheville, but most likely I'll be at home with the family...either way, a great way to ring in the new year!

Hey Hawkeye, if you can't make the show, you can still get the print!!  It may be cheating, but that didn't stop me from ordering one!! They are available, pre-order.

duse

oistheone

Seth is THE MAN! That is all.

Saturday cannot come soon enough.

APR

First time seeing them was Saturday night.  They were outstanding!  I think much better live and in person versus the albums.  Does anyone know the setlist from Saturday?

Fully

They played Cinder Cone last, I remember hearing Matador too. Maybe Sara Banana Bear remembers more than I do. Also, did we meet at Port Chester? I never got some of the forum names from people I hadn't met before.

Hawkeye

Would love to go to the Asheville show tonight but my wife has to work and I'm watching baby Daphne.  We'll probably play Fake Blood and dance around the living room since we can't make the show.

Happy New Year y'all!  :beer:  :smiley:  :bath:
We could.

APR

Quote from: Fully on Dec 31, 2012, 04:13 PM
They played Cinder Cone last, I remember hearing Matador too. Maybe Sara Banana Bear remembers more than I do. Also, did we meet at Port Chester? I never got some of the forum names from people I hadn't met before.

I don't think we met.  Due to traveling on Thursday and sitting in the Lodge on Friday, I was only able to be early for the third night.

Ruckus

Quote from: APR on Dec 31, 2012, 03:39 PM
First time seeing them was Saturday night.  They were outstanding!  I think much better live and in person versus the albums.  Does anyone know the setlist from Saturday?
Yeah, they sounded fantastic and I'm glad they played a number of Desert Etiquette tracks.  I'm not sure I understood the need for the two drummers with their sound and what the two were doing, not that I'm complaining. 
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Fully

They just released tour dates for next week.
Jan 9 - Nashville
Jan 10 Birmingham
Jan 11 - Hattiesburg Ms
Jan 12- New Orleans, LA
Jan 13- Shreveport, LA

Glad they gave us lots of notice.

APR

Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 02, 2013, 08:01 PM
Quote from: APR on Dec 31, 2012, 03:39 PM
Yeah, they sounded fantastic and I'm glad they played a number of Desert Etiquette tracks.  I'm not sure I understood the need for the two drummers with their sound and what the two were doing, not that I'm complaining. 

As one said, it's cool visually.

oistheone

Oh man, what a show on Saturday! I thought they sounded fantastic. Seth was right to thank the sound man, the mix was stellar! It always impresses me when every member of a band can sing, and everyone on stage with FA on Saturday just killed it vocally. It isn't easy to create a cohesive sound mix for a band whose five members include five vocalists and two drummers, but the staff at the Cap came through on their rep for pristine sound.  Total aural heaven compared to the murky mess at Forecastle. And I'm so glad all the crowd seemed into it!

http://youtu.be/I2GUsSDgwJQ

Also, I'm pretty sure the only reason they have two drummers is because one guy left the band, they brought in another sweet drummer, and then the other guy came back -- and Seth said it seemed like a waste to have such talented drummers do anything but drum.

Jeff Murray

Quote from: oistheone on Jan 03, 2013, 01:25 PM
Oh man, what a show on Saturday! I thought they sounded fantastic. Seth was right to thank the sound man, the mix was stellar! It always impresses me when every member of a band can sing, and everyone on stage with FA on Saturday just killed it vocally. It isn't easy to create a cohesive sound mix for a band whose five members include five vocalists and two drummers, but the staff at the Cap came through on their rep for pristine sound.  Total aural heaven compared to the murky mess at Forecastle. And I'm so glad all the crowd seemed into it!

Also, I'm pretty sure the only reason they have two drummers is because one guy left the band, they brought in another sweet drummer, and then the other guy came back -- and Seth said it seemed like a waste to have such talented drummers do anything but drum.

As I watched Floating Action I was wondering myself why they have two drummers laying down the same beats.  I would understand if one was playing the main driver and the second was adding layers, but they played the songs on the same time with slightly different styles.  Don't get me wrong they sounded good, but I just didn't get the point at the time, your explanation clears that up.
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??

SaraBananaBear

I know they played Don't Stop Loving Me Now and also The Balance and Seized if I remember correctly. So amazing. I'm so glad I finally got to see them live, woop!  :cheesy: :thumbsup:
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

FiddleCastro

Quote from: Jeff Murray on Jan 03, 2013, 08:18 PM
Quote from: oistheone on Jan 03, 2013, 01:25 PM

As I watched Floating Action I was wondering myself why they have two drummers laying down the same beats.  I would understand if one was playing the main driver and the second was adding layers, but they played the songs on the same time with slightly different styles.  Don't get me wrong they sounded good, but I just didn't get the point at the time, your explanation clears that up.

Ha, the two drummers was kind of Hypnotizing. I loved it. They were great and I'm looking forward to seeing them again sometime soon  :smiley:
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

Fully

Quote from: SaraBananaBear on Jan 04, 2013, 07:00 AM

I know they played Don't Stop Loving Me Now and also The Balance and Seized if I remember correctly. So amazing. I'm so glad I finally got to see them live, woop!  :cheesy: :thumbsup:

That they did! At that point I was so tired that my memory was starting to blur.

oistheone

I STRONGLY URGE everyone to check out Floating Action's most recent Daytrotter session. High quality live recordings of the full band are a scarce commodity, so this Daytrotter session is like stumbling upon a treasure chest of aural golden booty. It's only a few songs, but these precious few tracks prove that these guys can rock with the best of them.

Recipe for a good time: Download the recordings of "Get Your Love Stole" and "Digging" and blast them as loud as you can.

APR

Quote from: SaraBananaBear on Jan 04, 2013, 07:00 AM

Thank you both.  I am now able to listen to many including Seized, my favorite one from the night, while before I had no clue which of their catalog was played.  That little riff in Seized is way cool.

oistheone

"Lost All My Money" and "Digging" were also some sweet highlights from the Capitol Theatre show! And I'm sure we're forgetting another tune or two.

Seth seems to change up the setlists drastically from night to night, making it all the more tempting to just follow these guys around for a tour!

Fully

There is a short tour starting Wednesday in Nashville. I posted the dates a few posts back. It's very drivable.

Also, I really like the phrase "aural golden booty".

FiddleCastro

Quote from: Fully on Jan 05, 2013, 08:00 PM
There is a short tour starting Wednesday in Nashville. I posted the dates a few posts back. It's very drivable.

Also, I really like the phrase "aural golden booty".
love that phrase as well!
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh