Jack White solo album - Blunderbuss 4/24

Started by DewieCox, Jan 30, 2012, 12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Apr 25, 2012, 11:52 PM
Quote from: bold992006 on Apr 25, 2012, 11:20 PM
Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Apr 25, 2012, 11:02 PM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Apr 25, 2012, 12:40 AM
Jack White was trying to be Dexter Romweber but didn't have the soul, so he had to create gimmick. And I like Jack White but Dexter is the real deal.

Flat Duo Jets

Jack White hasn't exactly tried to hide his influences, and has praised Flat Duo Jets and even rereleased a Flat Duo Jets album on his label. FDJ to me sound way more rockabilly than anything White Stripes ever did. Sure he borrows stuff from other artists but a lot of artists do that. Even Kurt Cobain said Nirvana was just trying to be like the Pixies.

This sounds like a more obvious influence here:
Ragtime Guitar : BLIND WILLIE MCTELL . " Southern Can Is Mine " (1931)

I agree.  Jack has never hid the fact that he is heavily influenced.  He loved Dexter too but I think his thing reaches far beyond that.   Early Blues, Zeppelin, The Stooges, Punk, Country, Dylan...etc are all in there but he has his own sound.   That is what makes him so great.

I think this new album kind of shows all of those sides in the best way possible.   I've been waiting for him to do a solo album for a long time and I think it was well worth the wait.

yeah, I was mainly talking about when the White Stripes came about and were all decked out in candy stripes and what not. But I am sort of old school like that, ya know? Not a lot of flash, just passion. Sort of like Bowie during the days of Ziggy; no flash, no glam, just straight rock.

No flash. Ya I know what you mean.

That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Ruckus

;D damn you true!  This has nothing to do with the Saints :thumbsup:
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Tracy 2112

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Apr 26, 2012, 01:00 AM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Apr 25, 2012, 11:52 PM
yeah, I was mainly talking about when the White Stripes came about and were all decked out in candy stripes and what not. But I am sort of old school like that, ya know? Not a lot of flash, just passion. Sort of like Bowie during the days of Ziggy; no flash, no glam, just straight rock.

No flash. Ya I know what you mean.

I actually set it up for you to pick me off with my Bowie/Ziggy comment, but RUSH is even better!   :)

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Jaimoe

The White Stripes had some of the simplest concert stage set-ups you'll ever see, not including their Get Behind Me Satan tour. My fav was the Icky Thump cross-Canada tour: giant blank white screen backdrop, guitar, modest stack of vintage Fender Twins, piano, a couple of mics and a Canadian flag. Jack would occassionally walk on a platform behind the amps during a solo as his shadow would reflect up and follow on the white screen. No pyrotechnics, just a well placed low light. Genuis, and one of the best concerts (the Toronto show) I've ever seen in my 44 years, and a bonus that it remains historically significant to my country.

In It Might Get Loud, Jack makes it clear that his biggest influence is Son House. I saw an old interview on my work TV station where Jack says he'd like to be 60 years old, and I believe him. 

johnnYYac

johnnYYac

Don't forget Jack White Unstaged tomorrow night at 9 PM EST, directed by Gary Oldman.

Jack White - American Express UNSTAGED Trailer

br00ke

i'm going on an early hike saturday morning so i was sorta thinking of staying in tomorrow night and got excited when i got an email about the Amex Unstaged. i watched one of the unstaged events with jay-z. it was quality  :thumbsup:

TheThird

Will the Unstaged performance be archived anywhere?
[url="http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection"]http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection[/url]

oistheone

Apparently it's gonna be available on demand for 12 hours after the performance, and then "clips" will be available afterwards. Doesn't sound like it will be the whole show archived, kinda similar to how only a few songs from the MMJ Unstaged are still up on YouTube.

Fully

It's been several months since this conversation was had, but if anyone wants that Jack White Unstaged show, I've got it! Let me know and I'll upload it for you. Also, I'm going to see Jacky in Jackson TN on October 10 and I'm giddy as hell that this forum is back up!

el_chode

I found this album to be underwhelming. It wasn't bad. But it was...standard. I consider it on-par with the Jeff Bridges album, which is great for Jeff Bridges, but not JW.
I'm surrounded by assholes

Fully

I'm going to see Jack White tonight at the  Carl Perkins Civic Center down in Jackson, TN which is close to where Loretta Lynn lives. I'm hoping for a guest appearance. Also, I'm completely psyched to see that he's released a video today of I'm Shakin'

http://youtu.be/MvpoiiBW9bc

oistheone

You're gonna have an awesome time Fully! Maybe he'll even bust out "I'm Shakin" in concert to honor the video release today -- don't believe he's played it thus far.

JUST REMEMBER -- avoid standing in front of the stacks! It can be oh-so-tempting. "Hey, a sweet spot right in front of the stage, wonder why no one is standing there?" Famous last words.

Fully

I've got my protection. I'll be good.

Fully

And I was. Jack White was really good. His male band played   last night. I enjoyed it quite completely. I'd never been to a show at this venue and it had a great vibe to it that reminded me of going to a show in the early '80's.