Jack White solo album - Blunderbuss 4/24

Started by DewieCox, Jan 30, 2012, 12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ellisintransit

This is a little of what I wrote for my review on the White Swirl forum, and a link is below if you want to read the geeky parts I left out here. 

If you like Jack's musical style in general you are going to love it. Get Behind Me Satan is definitely the point of comparison, but I think mostly because of the keys. The piano work on the whole album really stood out to me. Love Interruption is the only song with no percussion or drums, and a couple of the tunes had hand clap sections. That classic Jack whammy sound on the solos is there, and for whatever reason it gives me goosebumps every time. For comparison sake, I never had Dead Weather in my mind but thoughts of The White Stripes and The Raconteurs entered my head during a couple of the songs, but then how could they not?

BASICALLY:  If you like Jack White, you're going to love this album.  I expected more country and less electric guitar and that's not really the story. 

It was definitely a nice soundsystem.....AND they definitely also took our phones and everything else.  I brought a notepad knowing that and I couldn't bring it in either.

Here's a link to the whole thread if you're interested in the rest of my experience.  It gets kind of dweeby with running time, catalog number and that kind of stuff. 
http://www.whiteswirl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=5467&start=30

oistheone

Thank you so much for that post!

Seems like it truly was the experience of a lifetime. Words cannot describe my jealousy.

My "Love Interruption" 45 finally came in today, and now my excitement for this album is at an all-time high. Another two months to wait, but I have no doubts that it will be worth it.

Jaimoe

Quote from: oistheone on Feb 23, 2012, 04:24 PM

Seems like it truly was the experience of a lifetime. Words cannot describe my jealousy.

My "Love Interruption" 45 finally came in today, and now my excitement for this album is at an all-time high. Another two months to wait, but I have no doubts that it will be worth it.

Good news is that Jack is the musical guest on Saturday Night Live, March 4th. Bad news is it's SNL and even worse the show will be hosted by Lindsay Lohan.

oistheone

Quote from: Jaimoe on Feb 24, 2012, 08:27 AM
Quote from: oistheone on Feb 23, 2012, 04:24 PM

Good news is that Jack is the musical guest on Saturday Night Live, March 4th. Bad news is it's SNL and even worse the show will be hosted by Lindsay Lohan.

Haha sure it isn't the ideal circumstance, but I'll take it. I'm almost more interested in seeing who he is playing with than hearing the tunes themselves. Almost.

kotchishm

Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

Jaimoe

mjk73

bold992006

Loved both songs.  loved that he had two backing bands.  the girl drummer on the first song was great.  So pumped to see this live.

oistheone

Wanted to check out this performance to see what kinda band he'll be taking with him on tour. Still have no idea. Leave it to Jack White to perform on national TV and still keep fans guessing!

Really enjoyed the amped-up "Love Interruption" though. And of course, it's good to see Jack on guitar again in "Sixteen Saltines". By the end of that song, his guitar sounded like falling power lines and I'm pretty sure his amps were about to explode.

Also found it interesting that each band had a different color scheme. I've never seen an artist with such total control of his image.

Fully

I really like the girl singer on "Love Interrupted". I'm ill that I couldn't get tickets to see him in Birmingham or Chattanooga.

oistheone

So Jack played a surprise show at Third Man last night -- two bands still in tow. He's obviously a rock star, but if Jack tours with two different bands at the same time for the same show, then damn, color me impressed. Not that I'd expect anything different (or weirder) from Jack.

zanjam

Quote from: oistheone on Mar 09, 2012, 10:40 AM
So Jack played a surprise show at Third Man last night -- two bands still in tow. He's obviously a rock star, but if Jack tours with two different bands at the same time for the same show, then damn, color me impressed. Not that I'd expect anything different (or weirder) from Jack.

That is freaking awesome.  Groundbreaking once again.  Two bands.  Just awesome!!
anything + reverb always = better

BigHerm

How in the heck do you find out about these shows before they happen? I live blocks away. I always hear about these the day after...

Fully

Quote from: BigHerm on Mar 09, 2012, 03:09 PM
How in the heck do you find out about these shows before they happen? I live blocks away. I always hear about these the day after...

Yeah, I was wondering that too. I'm within an hour's drive.

yakeroo

Wow my ears are still ringing from the show in Chattanooga last night. The new songs sound really great, and his all girl backing band really surprised me especially the drummer. Only complaint was I believe the show could have been longer. Not sure why the all male backing band did not play? If you get a chance to see him, do it!

EasyRyder

Quote from: yakeroo on Mar 11, 2012, 02:55 PM
Wow my ears are still ringing from the show in Chattanooga last night. The new songs sound really great, and his all girl backing band really surprised me especially the drummer. Only complaint was I believe the show could have been longer. Not sure why the all male backing band did not play? If you get a chance to see him, do it!

http://timesfreepress.com/news/2012/mar/11/jack-white-plays-sold-out-crowd-track-29/

sounds like a mindblower!!! Can't wait for tomorrow in Bham. The venue is a lot smaller than Chattanooga it seems, might have to go early.

Did Jack stand in the center for your show, yakeroo?
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

yakeroo

Yes, get there early. The doors opened at 8pm, but people were in line at 10am when the box office opened. I got thre about 2pm and was about 40th in line which still got me a good spot on the rail. Fans traveled from as far as Michigan, New York, and Canada! Yeah Jack was set up in the middle with the 5 girl band behind him. Do not expect to take ANY pictures or video since this policy was strictly enforced by Jacks people. Also there was only about 80 posters sold. I was lucky enough to get one, and I already see one on Ebay for 200 :o

yakeroo

Quote from: bold992006 on Mar 12, 2012, 06:36 PM
http://consequenceofsound.net/2012/03/live-review-jack-white-at-chattanoogas-track-29-310/
That review is spot on. Ball and Biscuit was the highlight of the night, and Jack really let loose on it.
http://blog.al.com/birmingham-box-set/2012/03/post.html Looks like he played with his all male band last night in Alabama. I wonder if he will keep switching bands between shows. I really hope he adds more dates and gets added to Bonnaroo and or Forecastle!

oistheone

I am finding this band-switching to be hilarious and absurdly awesome.