Jack White solo album - Blunderbuss 4/24

Started by DewieCox, Jan 30, 2012, 12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bold992006

When you are Jack White you can have two band on call at all times.  I cannot wait to see this show and hear the album.

ophidiophobia

Quote from: bold992006 on Mar 13, 2012, 07:55 PM
When you are Jack White you can have two band on call at all times.  I cannot wait to see this show and hear the album.
You and me both. Thursday night can't get here soon enough. I took a full day off work so I could stand in line. I saw some reports that people were in line around 6 am for the show in Chatanooga earlier this week.

EasyRyder

The show last night in Birmingham might have been the best concert I've ever seen...or at least on that level of un-rankable concerts that I can't seem to forget or compare to others.

Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground to open really set the mood, Ball and Biscuit was unbelievable, Cut like a Buffalo blew my mind, Sixteen Saltines, Blue Blood Blues, Hello Operator, Top Yourself...I think I burned 2,000 calories in an hour and a half.

Aside from Jack making it all too clear that he is the spawn of Titans, my favorite moment was him playing "You Know That I Know" from the recent Hank Williams compilation. If Hank hadn't written the song Jack would have - I've never seen an artist cover a song so well and with such honest rawness. Jack's eyes were entirely insane during the whole tune...

I'm really glad he played with the all male band only because the tempo and intensity didn't have to be sacrificed in order to change setups (or however they would've done it). His drummer is the most powerful I've seen, and the guy playing organ added so much. Really the entire band impressed me almost as much as Jack did... I'm especially grateful to have been able to hear some White Stripes songs live since I missed that boat when it passed, but the new ones he played seem to be most comparable to the Stripes material yet in a unique way. I'm definitely still feeling impacted by that show, and I hope you folks about to go to one feel the same.  :beer:

P.S. Jack looked like he was having fun too  ;)
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

johnnYYac

Always love the Stripes and near anything Jack White touched.  I'm jealous, Easy.  Sounds great.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

oistheone

Did they play Meg's rim solo in Hello Operator?

EasyRyder

no rim solo, a lot of the songs are semi-reconfigured. Not drastically, but enough to be able to feel some newness

zanjam

Quote from: EasyRyder on Mar 13, 2012, 08:57 PM
The show last night in Birmingham might have been the best concert I've ever seen...or at least on that level of un-rankable concerts that I can't seem to forget or compare to others.

Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground to open really set the mood, Ball and Biscuit was unbelievable, Cut like a Buffalo blew my mind, Sixteen Saltines, Blue Blood Blues, Hello Operator, Top Yourself...I think I burned 2,000 calories in an hour and a half.

So far no west coast dates and I'm jonesing.  Sounds phenomenal.
anything + reverb always = better

ellisintransit

I was also at the Birmingham show.  Amazing.  I saw The White Stripes, The Raconteurs, and The Dead Weather multiple times each, and this was as good as any of those.  He is on fire, as always.  I'm also a big Mars Volta fan, so it's a double-kickass thing that he has Ikey Owens on keys.  He wails.

oistheone:  The drummer, Daru, played the rim part of Hello Operator on the cowbell if I remember correctly.  He had a nice block and cowbell setup.

I was ecstatic to get the Hank song and 2 Against 1 from the Rome album, plus two each from DW and Racs on top of all the new material.  Every song truly was a highlight, but Ball and Biscuit burned my biscuits to a fine char.    ;D  The harmonica solo on Dead Leaves was pretty killer.  Seeing all those White Stripes songs with a good drummer (no offense to Meg of course) and full band has been a dream of mine for a long time.  Now I just need a Nashville show (that doesn't require a holier-than-thou invite) to see the lady band.

oistheone

Thanks so much to everyone for all these reviews! These shows sound amazing. If more tour dates aren't announced soon, I think it'll be time to trek it out to a couple shows. Ahhh, just typing that sentence takes me back. So glad Jack is on tour again.

ophidiophobia

Quote from: oistheone on Mar 15, 2012, 12:54 PM
Thanks so much to everyone for all these reviews! These shows sound amazing. If more tour dates aren't announced soon, I think it'll be time to trek it out to a couple shows. Ahhh, just typing that sentence takes me back. So glad Jack is on tour again.
Got in line for tonight's show around 11:30 and there were probably 10 people in front of me. The weather is nice for waiting in line for 8 hours.

ellisintransit

Quote from: ophidiophobia on Mar 15, 2012, 02:24 PM
Got in line for tonight's show around 11:30 and there were probably 10 people in front of me. The weather is nice for waiting in line for 8 hours.
[/quote]

YOU ARE IN FOR TREATS MY FRIEND!  As if you didn't know that already, hahaha.  Enjoy yourself. 

EasyRyder

Quote from: ellisintransit on Mar 15, 2012, 12:47 PM
I was also at the Birmingham show.  Amazing.  I saw The White Stripes, The Raconteurs, and The Dead Weather multiple times each, and this was as good as any of those.  He is on fire, as always.  I'm also a big Mars Volta fan, so it's a double-kickass thing that he has Ikey Owens on keys.  He wails.

oistheone:  The drummer, Daru, played the rim part of Hello Operator on the cowbell if I remember correctly.  He had a nice block and cowbell setup.

I was ecstatic to get the Hank song and 2 Against 1 from the Rome album, plus two each from DW and Racs on top of all the new material.  Every song truly was a highlight, but Ball and Biscuit burned my biscuits to a fine char.    ;D  The harmonica solo on Dead Leaves was pretty killer.  Seeing all those White Stripes songs with a good drummer (no offense to Meg of course) and full band has been a dream of mine for a long time.  Now I just need a Nashville show (that doesn't require a holier-than-thou invite) to see the lady band.

Thanks for the names of the drummer and keyboard player! I had no idea about the Mars Volta bit, pretty cool. I'm glad you mentioned that harmonica solo too  :o

And yes to Jack having a strong drummer now. hell yes. He was feeding off of Daru's energy more than anyone on stage.

Jaimoe

The moment I first heard Ball and Biscuit (many years ago now), I thought it was the best white blues song since Zeppelin. I'm thrilled it still lives on with solo Jack.

I've also seen the Stripes (3 times), Raconteurs and Dead Weather and can't wait to see Jack hit Toronto again, this time on his own (I miss the White Stripes very much; one of my favourite bands ever).

oistheone

Anyone get their hands on the latest Third Man release?

Third Man Balloon Launch

Fool or not, I find this hilarious.

capt. scotty

Checked in here hoping for a link to the new album, but cant wait to hear it regardless.

I liked the SNL live cuts, and the 2 different bands schtick is solid  :bath:
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

tbear

Quote from: Dillsnufus on Apr 11, 2012, 10:59 PM
Quote from: tbear on Apr 11, 2012, 11:47 AM
Quote from: ChiefOKONO on Apr 09, 2012, 01:54 PM
Jack outside the box

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/08/magazine/jack-white-is-the-savviest-rock-star-of-our-time.html?_r=2&WT.mc_id=MG-E-FB-SM-LIN-JWI-040612-NYT-NA&WT.mc_ev=click&adxnnl=1&smid=FB-nytimes&adxnnlx=1333763134-j3dDX1Ef4NjVJPbscl27Ug
\

May 21st at Roseland cannot come soon enough.

lucky i wish i had a tix

I was amazed that I got through to tickemaster and snagged 4 -did not expect to at all.

Just out of curiosity, I checked stub-hub, and there are some GA tix going for $600 (though there are a bunch priced lower.) But lets just say I could get $600, that would be $2400! Am I bad person for even contemplating selling out? I have seen JW in all his bands, multiple times.

Ok, not gonna sell. But $2400? That is a trip to Bonnaroo.