Alan Parsons discusses audiophiles - Article

Started by Fully, Feb 11, 2012, 07:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fully

He's got a perspective on this that I find interesting. The headline was a little harsh though. What do you audiophiles out there think about it?

Link to article

el_chode

Everything I ever needed to know about architectural acoustics I learned in two parts:

1) Building a radio station studio in college where you had no control over the room
2) Selling and delivering pianos after college where I had to explain to people what sort of room to put a piano in

Combine the two and you realize that the only thing that matters between them is the insulation on the wires. Most people don't have the setup to make anything else matter, but the source of a lot of interference with today's technology are poorly insulated wires that pick up errant radio signals.
I'm surrounded by assholes

Fully

Quote from: el_chode on Feb 11, 2012, 11:47 AM
Everything I ever needed to know about architectural acoustics I learned in two parts:

1) Building a radio station studio in college where you had no control over the room
2) Selling and delivering pianos after college where I had to explain to people what sort of room to put a piano in

Combine the two and you realize that the only thing that matters between them is the insulation on the wires. Most people don't have the setup to make anything else matter, but the source of a lot of interference with today's technology are poorly insulated wires that pick up errant radio signals.

Nice to know - I had no idea.

el_chode

Related to the article, he's spot on in that sense.

The most common example I dealt with were people trying our pianos in our showroom and then complaining we misled them when they put the same piano in their home. The reason was the showroom is hardwood; their home was carpet.

Likewise, people came in and demanded gold tipped this and monster that, and they distrusted my advice to just get this shielded cable as it did the same thing and unless they're going high end from contact to output, an over-priced cable didn't do much (and the markup was of no benefit to us).
I'm surrounded by assholes