Main Menu

Johnny Corndawg

Started by mahg33ta, Feb 20, 2012, 02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahg33ta

Ruckus

I remember your review of Jonny Corndawg the first time you saw him where you questioned his authenticity.  Whether his sincerity was real or all schtick.  Have you reached any conclusion?  I am not a big fan of his music  but it has nothing to do with any real or perceived irony and condescension towards the listener.  While the writer may be a little more consumed by this aspect of Corndawg than necessary, he is correct in pointing out the unique niche he fills in country music, or at least in the small amount of knowledge I have of current real country music.  Corndawg was one of the kindest musicians I've ever gotten to meet and I think his music is simply a reflection of himself.  He loves country music but he is a little more modern in his sense of humor.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

mahg33ta

Good memory Rob.   I haven't reached any conclusion but I remain fascinated by the guy.   As the blog reviewer wrote, the more you learn about him, the more you are interested.   Doesn't make his music any better though.    I like Dawes and Deer Tick and he is wrapped up tight w/ those guys as you know.     I have his Bikini album and listen to it occassionally.   My kids love the Bear song.     If he were opening that would be a plus for any show I was considering, but not sure I'd see him headline (although he is coming to Boston soon hence my reading stuff).

The Newport Folk video of middle brothers, dawes, and him playing When My Time Comes is one of my favorite youtubes ever.   they are having so much fun.

e_wind

Not a fan of the music, but I love Johhny Corndog the person.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...