Show your framed MMJ show posters

Started by bicyclejoe, Feb 11, 2009, 05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

subinai

thanks for the info JDUB. if you don't mind me asking, how much do the custom framings usually run?

e_wind

don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

JDUB

I paid about $140 each. That's with a coupon for 20% off my order. I went to The Great Frame Up. Apparently it's a chain, but it's not like Hobby Lobby or Michaels. http://www.thegreatframeup.com/
It's a very basic black frame. UV protective glass and spacers to keep the print from touching the glass.

YouAre_GivenToFly

This thread just reminds me that I have tons of posters that I have yet to get framed. So far I've only got 3 Burwells (T5, NYE, RCMH) and Philly 2006 on the wall.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

camdolla

Quote from: e_wind on Nov 15, 2010, 12:14 PM
hey dudes. whats the cheapest way to get frames. I have Louisville, Columbus, Nashville, Portland Maine, and App Voices posters and wanting to buy Chicago all from 2010 unframed right now.  I know its expensive no matter what but are certain stores or websites significantly cheaper? I want all plain black wood frames. I also want to frame my Forecastle poster because its a 30$ poster but its HUGE so I don't know if I will. I also want to frame my App Voices with the hand written set list from Jim with it but again I feel like that will make it extra big and extra expensive.

The cheapest way, and the only way we've stayed in the game as long as we have is to hit every thrift store/consignment store and buy anything that will fit and has the glass intact. Then just take it home, throw some black spray paint on it and you're ready to go. I can say this easily, because my wife used to frame back in college and it's been a great way for us to frame a picture for less than $30 depending on the frame cost.

CountSA

Quote from: johnnYYac on Feb 01, 2011, 02:00 PM
"what makes it a winner for me was that it passed the "ok to hang on the living room wall" wife test."

Too funny.  That's the problem I'm having with the T5 EU poster and the Essex Jct. Fung (Denise and Pooch do American Gothic).  My wife finds them too grim.  Maybe I'll bring 'em back to my classroom; the kids dig 'em.

Too funny, my girlfriend has vetoed the T5 EU poster as well.  She likes the 08 BoA one and the latest Burwell so that's good.

johnnYYac

Pics fresh from Seth (scosby2).  I'm jealous, as all of my posters are in cheap stock frames.  I need to use his framer.  Lookin' good!

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

johnnYYac

One more from Seth.  Apparently, I'm his photo bitch.  ;)

Another beauty... triple matted!

Sweet Nothing

Quote from: johnnYYac on Nov 07, 2011, 05:11 PM

Very Jealous of this one, looks great though.  Did you matte them yourself or did you have these done by the framer? 

johnnYYac

Quote from: Sweet Nothing on Nov 08, 2011, 09:46 PM

Very Jealous of this one, looks great though.  Did you matte them yourself or did you have these done by the framer?
These aren't mine.  Seth (scosby2) asked me to post them, as he can't seem to figure out how to post pics on the forum.  He said he found a great framer and they look great.  Birmingham is a bit too far away for me, though.  Anyone know any good framers in the Concord, NH area?

Penny Lane

Quote from: johnnYYac on Nov 08, 2011, 11:11 PM

These aren't mine.  Seth (scosby2) asked me to post them, as he can't seem to figure out how to post pics on the forum.  He said he found a great framer and they look great.  Birmingham is a bit too far away for me, though.  Anyone know any good framers in the Concord, NH area?

ewwww nice...that's the only one i want and don't have..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Sweet Nothing

Quote from: Penny Lane on Nov 08, 2011, 11:14 PM

ewwww nice...that's the only one i want and don't have..

You and me both!!  Johnny i know that those aren't your posters framed but it seems like i am having the same problem with getting pictures uploaded onto the forum.   I know you had a post set up somewhere on how to do it but i don't know where that is and what to post a picture.  If you have the time to send me that thread or send me a p.m on "how to do" that would be much appreciated.  Thanks

johnnYYac

walterfredo

Anyone know any good framers in the Concord, NH area?

it's all about the DIY Johnny, you could easily frame something like these up yourself for a fraction of the cost a framer would charge.  Look earlier in this thread, I talked about it quite a bit.  I frame all my own stuff.

Sweet Nothing

Thanks for the link Johnny but i have been trying this for about an hour and a half and no luck yet.  All that comes up is the small blue box with the question mark to open the image through flickr only.  Not sure what to do as i have tried many things and followed the steps correctly for each one but not luck for me.   >:(   :(

johnnYYac

Quote from: Sweet Nothing on Nov 09, 2011, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the link Johnny but i have been trying this for about an hour and a half and no luck yet.  All that comes up is the small blue box with the question mark to open the image through flickr only.  Not sure what to do as i have tried many things and followed the steps correctly for each one but not luck for me.   >:(   :(

Every image you post here has to have a url. 

For your own pictures, you need to put 'em on an image hosting site like Flikr first. 

Right click over the image and click on "Properities." 

Click and drag over the url, then right click over the highlighted area and choose copy.

Come back to the forum and paste that url between the image brackets.

Then post and enjoy.

Sweet Nothing

Quote from: johnnYYac on Nov 09, 2011, 11:14 PM
Quote from: Sweet Nothing on Nov 09, 2011, 10:48 PM

Every image you post here has to have a url. 

For your own pictures, you need to put 'em on an image hosting site like Flikr first. 

Right click over the image and click on "Properities." 

Click and drag over the url, then right click over the highlighted area and choose copy.

Come back to the forum and paste that url between the image brackets.

Then post and enjoy.

Thanks again Johnny but i am one of the few that has a Mac so it is alittle different, but i know how to copy and paste images but i am having trouble big time with this.  I appreciate your help but have just been uploading a bunch of photos to Expresso Beans instead until i get the hang of this.  Will keep trying though. 

scosby2

Thanks for posting the pics John, I happen to know a guy who knows a guy who owns a custom frame shop. Got them framed up for really cheap. He did the mattes and everything. I just told him to make em look fancy. And yes John, you are my photo bitch. Waiting on my T5/At Dawn Burwell to get here and then I am gonna do the same to it. Hope everyone is doing well.

johnnYYac

Quote from: walterfredo on Nov 09, 2011, 12:19 PM

it's all about the DIY Johnny, you could easily frame something like these up yourself for a fraction of the cost a framer would charge.  Look earlier in this thread, I talked about it quite a bit.  I frame all my own stuff.
So, I have support from my extended family to look into what I might need to frame my Burwells and they'll use Christmas to help with supplies.  I envision having all of them in similar frames (24 x 30 to accomodate 3 inch matting all around) and UV glass. 

Its frustrating that Guy makes most  of his prints just under the standard 18 x 24 size.  His LA Pantages print is 16 7/8 x 23 7/16.  His 2011 Red Rocks is 17 5/16 x 23 1/2.  His 2008 Bonnaroo is 17 5/8 x 23 7/8.  I think his 2008 MSG NYE (I have the newsprint version - thanks Kyle!) is the only Burwell that fits a standard 18 x 24 frame.

Walter et al - can you point me in the direction of frame, matte, glass, and foam board suppliers you use?  I'm looking at 9 MMJ Burwells and maybe the newsprint one, as well (not sure how that will look matted without backing it with adhesive or some such to minimize the wrinkles; currently, its unmatted and touching non-UV glass).

Any help appreciated.  Too much information online, some of it clearly bad.

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: johnnYYac on Nov 11, 2011, 12:06 PM
Quote from: walterfredo on Nov 09, 2011, 12:19 PM

So, I have support from my extended family to look into what I might need to frame my Burwells and they'll use Christmas to help with supplies.  I envision having all of them in similar frames (24 x 30 to accomodate 3 inch matting all around) and UV glass. 

Its frustrating that Guy makes most  of his prints just under the standard 18 x 24 size.  His LA Pantages print is 16 7/8 x 23 7/16.  His 2011 Red Rocks is 17 5/16 x 23 1/2.  His 2008 Bonnaroo is 17 5/8 x 23 7/8.  I think his 2008 MSG NYE (I have the newsprint version - thanks Kyle!) is the only Burwell that fits a standard 18 x 24 frame.

Walter et al - can you point me in the direction of frame, matte, glass, and foam board suppliers you use?  I'm looking at 9 MMJ Burwells and maybe the newsprint one, as well (not sure how that will look matted without backing it with adhesive or some such to minimize the wrinkles; currently, its unmatted and touching non-UV glass).

Any help appreciated.  Too much information online, some of it clearly bad.

My mom manages a local frame store. I'll ask her for some tips.

I worked at one on and off through high school, so I picked up a few things.

Newsprint is basically the 2nd cheapest type of paper out there (behind wrapping paper) and will yellow no matter what you do to it. Make sure ALL of your supplies are acid free, and glass should absolutely be UV, if not "Museum". Whether or not you ever plane to resell any of your prints will also make a difference on how you frame them. It is cheaper to have them dry mounted to foamboard, but that makes them practically unsellable.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.