2012 College Football

Started by BH, Sep 06, 2012, 12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Bama Bear

My picks this weekend:
Arkansas > Auburn, Tyler Wilson has a field day.
Georgia > South Carolina, more of a defensive battle rather than offensive.
West Virginia > Texas, Geno Smith is steamrolling fools. Heisman.
Notre Dame > Miami
Ohio State > Nebraska
Florida > LSU!

davymac

Quote from: BH on Oct 04, 2012, 05:20 PM
Quote from: jcoyote on Oct 04, 2012, 04:17 PM
Man, this isn't good for the program.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8461949/missouri-tigers-wide-receiver-dorial-green-beckham-five-players-suspended

A Lincoln Navigator?  He's 17, right?

I thought that was legal in the SEC.   :huh:

haha not at Georgia, pot will land you a 4 game suspension on the first offense under mark richt

jcoyote

Quote from: The Bama Bear on Oct 05, 2012, 04:13 AM
My picks this weekend:
Notre Dame > Miami
Ohio State > Nebraska
Florida > LSU!

You are not going to have a good day on Saturday, at least with your SEC picks.  Actually, I'd like to see Florida beat LSU to help the East a little bit against the West, but Florida's losing will help SC get to Atlanta quicker.  Ar-Kansas won't be beating too many teams this year, Jacksonville State and Tulsa, excluded. 

iLikeBeer

Glad to see Mizzou is making themselves feel right at home in the SEC...  :tongue:   :beer:   :cool:

Tracy 2112

My picks this weekend:
Notre Dame > Miami
Ohio State > Nebraska
Florida > LSU!

Arkansas is phoning it in; after losing at home to ULM and Rutgers, I have a hard time seeing them going to Auburn and staying within 8

I could see the Florida upset happening

Geno Smith won't score 70 on Texas. Texas might score 70 on WV.

Miami over ND please, (or at least within 14)

great football weekend!
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

BH

My picks this weekend:
Notre Dame > Miami
Ohio State > Nebraska
Florida > LSU!

Nice, got them all but Georgia.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

The Bama Bear

What a day! South Carolina was electric tonight, I can't wait to see them play Florida later on. And who saw FSU losing to NC State?! #3, 4, and 5 all go down this Saturday. Vandy over Mizzou, lol.

iLikeBeer

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Oct 05, 2012, 02:21 PM

Arkansas is phoning it in; after losing at home to ULM and Rutgers, I have a hard time seeing them going to Auburn and staying within 8

My word, how bad of a coach is Gene Chizik???  He should be on the phone every day thanking Cam Newton for coming to Auburn because he would be unemployed right now if it wasn't for Cam Newton winning him a NC?! 

Tracy 2112

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Oct 07, 2012, 12:21 PM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Oct 05, 2012, 02:21 PM

My word, how bad of a coach is Gene Chizik???  He should be on the phone every day thanking Cam Newton for coming to Auburn because he would be unemployed right now if it wasn't for Cam Newton winning him a NC?!

I totally didn't see that coming. But glad to see Auburn in a total collapse coming to Oxford next weekend.

Also think West Virginia should be ranked ahead of Florida this week, but rankings at this time of the year are sort of silly.

davymac

Well good game jcoyote, I'm not mad Georgia lost, but I am a little ticked we didnt show up and it wasn't even a game, but best of luck to SC this year!  Apparently Aaron Murray's house got egged and rolled after the game...more sorry fans if you ask me!

jcoyote

Quote from: davymac on Oct 08, 2012, 08:30 AM
Well good game jcoyote, I'm not mad Georgia lost, but I am a little ticked we didnt show up and it wasn't even a game, but best of luck to SC this year!  Apparently Aaron Murray's house got egged and rolled after the game...more sorry fans if you ask me!

Thank you, davymac!!  Yes, it was a steamrolling, and life is pleasant in Cola-Town.  Great to see LSU fall, but don't know if that is a sign of their weakness or just Florida picking up speed.  Guess we will find out Saturday.  Much like it was to South Carolina's benefit that the game was played @ WB, I would suspect that Baton Rouge will be on fire this weekend, and their fans will not be happy if they drop two in a row.  As mentioned above, Baton Rouge on a Saturday night is not a place to be, unless you are LSU. 

Tell me why Alabama is ranked #1, when they share the same record (5-0, 2-0) as Mississppi State #19?  They are co-leading the West.  Oh, that is because they are Alabama.  Should be interesting to see them play Missouri this weekend.  I hope they don't devour them like they did Western Kentucky or Ar-Kansas, but we shall see.  It must be nice to have an open date and still retain your bid as the #1 team in America. 

Tracy 2112

Quote from: jcoyote on Oct 08, 2012, 10:27 AM
Tell me why Alabama is ranked #1, when they share the same record (5-0, 2-0) as Mississppi State #19?  They are co-leading the West.  Oh, that is because they are Alabama. 

ummmm, maybe it's b/c they have won the national championship 2 of the last 3 years? Mississippi State's victories have come against teams with a combined W/L record of 8-19; the only win against someone with a winning record was against 3-2 Troy, which they eeeked out 30-24.

Tell me, who should be #1 right now?

jcoyote

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Oct 08, 2012, 12:00 PM
Tell me why Alabama is ranked #1, when they share the same record (5-0, 2-0) as Mississppi State #19?  They are co-leading the West.  Oh, that is because they are Alabama. 

ummmm, maybe it's b/c they have won the national championship 2 of the last 3 years? Mississippi State's victories have come against teams with a combined W/L record of 8-19; the only win against someone with a winning record was against 3-2 Troy, which they eeeked out 30-24.

Ummmmmm, It is very interesting that you bring up Mississppi State's opponent's W/L record, when Alabama is 5-0 against teams that are a combined 13-14, and two of those five wins come against Western Kentucky and Florida Atlantic.  Plus, they had an open date and did not fall at least a spot.  Ask Auburn if it mattered in 2011 that they won the National Championship in 2010.  2010 does not matter any more than it did when Alabama came into WB and left w/ their tails between legs.  Alabama has played only two conference games, + Michigan (which was a great win).  I'm not saying that Alabama is not a great team, I just don't think they're the best team in the nation. 

To answer your question, Oregon.  If South Carolina goes into Baton Rouge and beats LSU by 10, then South Carolina. 

Tracy 2112

Quote from: jcoyote on Oct 08, 2012, 12:50 PM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Oct 08, 2012, 12:00 PM

Ummmmmm, It is very interesting that you bring up Mississppi State's opponent's W/L record, when Alabama is 5-0 against teams that are a combined 13-14, and two of those five wins come against Western Kentucky and Florida Atlantic.  Plus, they had an open date and did not fall at least a spot.  Ask Auburn if it mattered in 2011 that they won the National Championship in 2010.  2010 does not matter any more than it did when Alabama came into WB and left w/ their tails between legs.  Alabama has played only two conference games, + Michigan (which was a great win).  I'm not saying that Alabama is not a great team, I just don't think they're the best team in the nation. 

To answer your question, Oregon.  If South Carolina goes into Baton Rouge and beats LSU by 10, then South Carolina.

13-14 > 8-19

just sayin'

Not only did Bama not drop out of #1 after a bye week, they got 60 votes in the AP Poll for #1 (that's 60 out of 60 possible; 100%),
58 out of 59 votes for #1 in USA Today poll (that's 98%), and 108 out of 113 for #1 in the Harris poll (that's 95%). 97.6% in all 3 polls combined feel Bama is number 1. Agreed, not a consensus, but...

And Oregon #1? You call yourself an SEC fan? You sound more like a Bama hater.  :lipsrsealed:

iLikeBeer

What has Alabama done this year that would make the voters decide to drop them in the rankings for having a bye week?  They've steamrolled every opponent on their schedule.  I don't care how weak some of them were.  It's not like your Gamecocks haven't had their share of weak opponents so far this season?!  UAB?  UK?  East Carolina? 

Also, why is playing Mizzou suddenly an interesting matchup?  Mizzou is now 0-3 in the SEC with a loss to Vandy?!  And that loss to Vandy was in Columbia!!!  If Mizzou can only manage 15 points vs. Vandy at home, please tell us why we should expect them to come within 21 points of beating Alabama?

Bottom line is, Alabama is the defending NC's.  They're currently 5-0 and they've been winning by an average of 34 ppg.  Hardly anything there that would lead me to believe that anyone should be ranked ahead of them at the moment.

I think the bigger question you need to ask is why USC is ranked ahead of Florida?  I mean, they're both 5-0 but who has the more impressive resume?  Clearly Florida has played a much tougher schedule with road wins over Texas A&M (4-1) and Tennessee (3-2) and their win over previously undefeated LSU last week.  If you want to make an argument over someone being slighted, it is Florida and not your Gamecocks...

Tracy 2112

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Oct 08, 2012, 01:13 PM
If you want to make an argument over someone being slighted, it is Florida and not your Gamecocks...

This. ^

Plus >
Oh, that is because they are Alabama. = Oh, that is because they are coached by Spurrier.
If Spurrier was at UF and Muschamp at SC, UF would be #2 and SC would #6 or #7. 

And on second thought, Georgia was overrated after their wins over....who??

iLikeBeer

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Oct 08, 2012, 01:19 PM

Exactly!  I kept hearing how good UGA's defense was coming into this game.  Why was that exactly?  I mean, they gave up 44 points to Tennessee?  And that win at Mizzou for the Bulldogs isn't looking as good anymore after the mighty Commodores did it to Mizzou in Columbia as well...

jcoyote

That is a good point regarding Florida, and no doubt Spurrier's name helps, but that is the way it goes.  Look at Ohio State this year w/ Urban.  Look at Saban.  Those names build the rankings up.  I don't think Georgia was a #5 team, but that is what they were ranked.  Same as I don't think Alabama has been tested yet to say they are #1, but that is what the deal is. Maybe South Carolina as well has not been truly tested as of yet. That is why I love this time of the year, the rankings will get clearer.  It will be interesting this week against Missouri, because they are an in-conference opponent, and have nothing to lose.  Remember when Alabama came to SC in 2010?  It happens.  I think Georgia was touted as an offensively strong team, as opposed to defense.  They even have the a nickname for two of the players together.  The South Carolina/Georgia game was billed more Georgia offense vs. South Carolina defense.  One thing you can't argue (or maybe you can), is that South Carolina is playing on both sides of the ball better.  SC is ranked #43 offensively, while Alabama is ranked #80 and defensively, SC is ranked #2, with Alabama #17, along with five other teams. 

And it's not just me who thinks Alabama is unproven. ESPN link.
http://espn.go.com/ncf/notebook/_/page/football-121008Schlabach/week-7

Bottom line is, I hope the SEC brings home the crystal ball this year. 

jcoyote

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Oct 08, 2012, 01:19 PM

That is another excellent point.  If a team plays and demolishes an unranked opponent, they have not played anyone and don't have a quality win.  If they demolish a highly ranked opponent, that team was not as good as they were ranked, and were overranked, and should not be counted as a high quality win.  I guess someone has to be ranked #1.  Why NOT Alabama?  My wishing Alabama to drop after a bye week was probably ill-willed, but if SC wins out @ LSU, Florida, then Tennessee, would they drop on an open date after not playing on November 3rd?   I've seen it happen. 

iLikeBeer

The bottom line is, SC controls it's own destiny for the time being.  They're sitting 3rd in the nation which ain't too shabby.  If they win out, they'll be playing in the SEC Championship game and right now, that looks like it will be against Alabama.  And the winner of that game will go on to play for the NC.  End of story. 

FSU did everyone a HUGE favor in losing over the weekend because they could have thrown a big wrench in things if they finished the season undefeated.