Main Menu

Houndmouth

Started by Ruckus, Sep 06, 2012, 01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

Just restarting battmuha's thread from the other place.  Really loving the 4 song EP.  Such an earnestness in their music.  They remind me of the Band and Arlo Guthrie among others in parts.  Apparently they will be touring nationally in support of Dry the River starting next week plus they are opening for JRoddy in Indy next week!

Houndmouth - Houston Train: UTOPiA Sessions SXSW 2012

Houndmouth - Krampus (Live @ the Irish Exit)
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

kotchishm

Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

Ruckus

Quote from: kotchishm on Sep 17, 2012, 03:33 PM
This EP is awesome.  Just so good.

http://www.amazon.com/Houndmouth-EP/dp/B008W132NQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1345819621&sr=8-2&keywords=houndmouth
Yeah it is.  I'm contemplating making the trip to DC on Wednesday to check them out.  4 great songs are such a tease.

kotchishm

Quote from: Ruckus on Sep 17, 2012, 10:48 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Houndmouth-EP/dp/B008W132NQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1345819621&sr=8-2&keywords=houndmouth
Yeah it is.  I'm contemplating making the trip to DC on Wednesday to check them out.  4 great songs are such a tease.

Damn I wish i would have seen that.  I live in Arlington but can't go. 
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

Ruckus

Quote from: kotchishm on Sep 18, 2012, 08:44 AM
Quote from: Ruckus on Sep 17, 2012, 10:48 PM

Damn I wish i would have seen that.  I live in Arlington but can't go.
I looked up the band they were opening for and really didn't like them so I decided to forgo the trip.  They sounded like a bad Mumford/Fleet Foxes hybrid.  So many of those bands now.

I hope Houndmouth gain some traction and I'll be able to catch them down the road.

e_wind

I can't get over how good this band is.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Fully

I like this-a whole lot.

Waddy Peytona

They're playing Lexington & Louisville back-to-back in November, as is Wax Fang. Looking forward to these shows.

Fully

I bought the EP today and I just love it. It's just quite beautiful, and that's all anyone needs to know.

e_wind

I, too, am looking forward to both Waddy.

The EP is great. I bought their 7" yesterday. Cant wait to hear it on my new record set up, but I heard the mixes of their stuff is pretty bad because they did it all themselves without professional equipment. Just what I heard though.

smhoffmann02

I really like their sound - will have to check them out for sure.
Give me a butt load of reverb on this one - just pile it on.

e_wind

Their show at Headliners in Louisville this past weekend was amazing. It was really so much more exciting than I expected. As the WFPK radio host said, it might be the first time that a local band has completely sold out headliners. They sold out, and released more tickets only hours before the show, and sold out again. Then they were on MTV Cribs and sold out again.

I was really surprised how awesome it was. Their new songs sounded great, too. Stoked on this band once again. There are so many good things going on in Louisville music these days.

Fully

Thanks for telling us about it, Eric. I considered driving up for the show, but didn't. Their EP has me captivated.

e_wind

I had seen a free show of theirs that was in a pretty strange situation in October and wasn't completely blown away, but this was different. This year (like every year), I've seen a ton of shows at headliners. For comparisons purpose, I'll talk about 3. Dr. Dog and Head and the Heart. Both of these bands sold out headliners in a very similar fashion to Houndmouth: at the last second. Also, the crowd excitement and participation at those two shows were extremely similar to Houndmouth. The third show, and possibly the most recent one I've seen there, was Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears. They sold may half the tickets, and there was very little crowd participation.

Now, I know Houndmouth is local (well, from across the river), but it's still pretty amazing that their show was as successful as THATH or Dr. Dogs. Wax Fang has been in the game for years and hasn't been able to do that. (unfortunately)

EverythingChanges

I refuse to buy this EP, simply because there is not enough music on it.  If I buy it, I will listen to those four songs until I run them into the ground.  I'll wait for the first LP.  These songs are wonderful, they just need to put some more stuff out before I buy into them.  I'm the kind of guy who will get absorbed in every musical piece a band puts out and listen to them for weeks on end, but you can't really do that with just a single EP.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

Ruckus

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Nov 26, 2012, 03:06 PM
I refuse to buy this EP, simply because there is not enough music on it.  If I buy it, I will listen to those four songs until I run them into the ground.  I'll wait for the first LP.  These songs are wonderful, they just need to put some more stuff out before I buy into them.  I the kind of guy who will get absorbed in everything musical piece a band puts out and listen to them for weeks on end, but you can't really do that with just a single EP.
I don't understand this.  So you'll give a band your money when they are already established but not when they need it most?  I agree the four song EP is a great tease and the full length should be out soon no?

LBSUNFLWR

Also really love this EP and can't wait for more. I was sad to miss the Headliner's show b/c I was out of town for Thanksgiving. I caught part of their set at Forecastle and really liked. Looking forward to a full album!!!

iLikeBeer

I'll jump on this band's wagon!   :thumbsup:

Making me wish I would have checked them out at Forecastle!

Anyone know when their full length album is going to drop? 

EverythingChanges

Quote from: Ruckus on Nov 27, 2012, 02:04 PM
Quote from: EverythingChanges on Nov 26, 2012, 03:06 PM
I refuse to buy this EP, simply because there is not enough music on it.  If I buy it, I will listen to those four songs until I run them into the ground.  I'll wait for the first LP.  These songs are wonderful, they just need to put some more stuff out before I buy into them.  I the kind of guy who will get absorbed in everything musical piece a band puts out and listen to them for weeks on end, but you can't really do that with just a single EP.
I don't understand this.  So you'll give a band your money when they are already established but not when they need it most?  I agree the four song EP is a great tease and the full length should be out soon no?

Not quite, I will support them once their first full length LP is released, which is a time they will need my support.  If I buy their EP now, I will listen to those four songs too much wishing they had more music out.  That in turn, will cause me to run those four songs into the ground where I may not want to listen to them again for a long while.  I'd rather have 10 songs to sift through and enjoy each a fair amount.  If the LP will be out soon, then I will be buying it and the EP.  In the meantime I will keep from buying the EP, because I don't want to burn out on the group.  There is just not enough material out yet to really support them.  4 songs, one of which is 2 minutes long (a damn good 2 minutes, but still just 2 minutes), is not enough yet.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

e_wind

I'm not aware of any LP coming out anytime soon guys, just sayin