DANGER! - Political Thread

Started by headhunter, Sep 06, 2012, 08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shug

"We can all agree, like all of these third parties agree, that government needs to get out of the hands of special interest groups. We can all agree that corporations have too much power in government. We all can agree that government needs to be much more reflective of the people it represents."

Who exactly is this "we" of which you write?  I don't think Romney/Ryan, Fox News and all that gang are a part of that "we".  It seems to me that they want corporations (US and multi-national) to have more power and centralized government to have less and they want government to represent the rich, not the majority of citizens.

Not meaning to ignore all the good points in your article.  I wish the quote above were true, if it were things wouldn't be so scary right now.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

Kenny76

Quote from: Shug on Oct 22, 2012, 05:27 PM
"We can all agree, like all of these third parties agree, that government needs to get out of the hands of special interest groups. We can all agree that corporations have too much power in government. We all can agree that government needs to be much more reflective of the people it represents."

Who exactly is this "we" of which you write?  I don't think Romney/Ryan, Fox News and all that gang are a part of that "we".  It seems to me that they want corporations (US and multi-national) to have more power and centralized government to have less and they want government to represent the rich, not the majority of citizens.

Not meaning to ignore all the good points in your article.  I wish the quote above were true, if it were things wouldn't be so scary right now.

'We the people' is who I meant, and you're right, they are not with the people.  They can be, but they're not choosing to be.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: bbill on Oct 22, 2012, 12:31 PM
You want badass?! Paul Ryan will give you badass!!!

What a douche!  :grin:

I heard he can run soooo fast...

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: Kenny76 on Oct 22, 2012, 05:15 PM
I am happy to have read some very good arguments for why it's best to vote for "the lesser of two evils".  I still understand the "vote your conscience" argument... I voted for the Green Party ticket in both 2000 and 2004... but I think it's a weaker argument today, especially given that the differences between Romney and Obama are greater than the differences between Bush and Gore were... and in retrospect, the differences between Bush and Gore seem pretty great now.

I get that it's difficult to vote for any candidate that doesn't have the same convictions, and worse, may be guilty of things that you consider evil (are either Obama or Romney going to stop Monsanto? sadly, not a chance.), but I think we have a duty to stop greater evils when we have that choice.

I happened to have recently published an article about 'third parties' and their current usefulness... and this looks like (basically is) shameless self-promotion, but it's directly related to this conversation, so here it is:  http://kennethpauloconnor.com/articles/why-third-parties-havent-earned-their-place-on-the-national-stage.html  :cool:

yeah, this year it's straight up two different styles of bruh up there.

1.) mitt romney is a venture capitalist dick.

or

2.) the first black president for a second term. 

growth might be slow, but there is growth.  small steps.  down with these insane, heartless, right wing ideologues.

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

LeanneP

Quote from: johnnYYac on Oct 22, 2012, 07:08 PM
http://www.spin.com/#articles/jim-jame-my-morning-jacket-health-care-election-2012

As a doula, I love that Jim specifically mentions legalizing home birth midwifery in Kentucky and beyond. Could I love that guy more? The answer is yes!
Babe, let's get one thing clear, there's much more stardust when you're near.

Northern Neighbour

Awesome closing address by Obama.  Really, really fantastic.

And Johnny, you should vote for Romney because he loves teachers.

exist10z

Quote from: Northern Neighbour on Oct 22, 2012, 10:32 PM
Awesome closing address by Obama.  Really, really fantastic.

And Johnny, you should vote for Romney because he loves teachers.

Better watch out, Romney's secret plan for 'energy independence', after lining every available U.S. shoreline's horizon with drilling rigs, is to invade Canada and steal your rescources.  Then he's gonna repeal your Obamacare...
Sisyphus - Just rollin' that rock up the hill, and hoping it doesn't crush me on the way back down..

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

people can say what they want about the other debates I guess but tonights was a clear win for obama.  romney loves reagan way too much. 

headhunter

Obama looked great and Mitt looked like he was just trying to run out the clock and avoid saying something stupid.

And it was another disaster for the Moderating team.  Another no-show.

Time to stop worrying about undecided voters.  If someone doesn't know who they want at this point, they are probably not going to vote anyway.  The differences are pretty obvious.

Time to focus on getting your supporters to get to the polls.

was some shakin' and some record playin'

el_chode

Everyone's still mum on the concept of the president ordering the execution of American citizens without the slightest bit of judicial oversight or pesky due process. No biggie - did Michelle have sleeves on tonight? And how crazy did Romney's son look?!
I'm surrounded by assholes

exist10z

Quote from: el_chode on Oct 23, 2012, 10:54 PM
Everyone's still mum on the concept of the president ordering the execution of American citizens without the slightest bit of judicial oversight or pesky due process. No biggie - did Michelle have sleeves on tonight? And how crazy did Romney's son look?!

Yeah, I have a few minutes for a rant, haven't done one in a couple weeks.  I am guessing you still want to ding O in the service of a third party?  I've argued against this, and I still would, but my points have been made, refer to earlier posts.  So, I'll jump over to your side, but way further, as I really am way further; but I'm also a dedicated realist, who realizes voting for Obama is the best course of action right now.

Ok, so you got me fired up a bit with that mock about Michelle and Romney's son, because I've been wondering the same thing lately.  Wondering about Americans' outrage.  So much 'we' (not me) are outraged about - our declining position in the world, how high our taxes are, what's with kids these days, can't we just leave religion alone, the deficit, why are gas prices so high, why aren't drugs legal, and on and on; but you know what we aren't fired up about (not you chode, you are, and a small segment is) as a general rule, killing people.  Killing poor brown people specifically.  You never see that headline on the news, 'Poll Shows Majority of Americans Willing to Pay Higher Gas Prices And Higher Taxes In Order To Stop Killing Brown People'.  Never see that.  Never.  Because you know what, sadly, the majority of Americans aren't willing to pay higher gas prices or higher taxes to save the lives of brown people (foreigners in general, but especially brown foreigners).  And that's fucked up.

Yah, yeah, I haven't drawn any direct corollary there, and that wasn't my intent, there isn't one exactly.  Those things aren't related, except in this sense: the things we are so worried about are trivial, when compared to the things we don't care about - that are the foundations of humanity.

So, you're worried about executing Americans w/o due process and judicial oversight?  Why is this your pet cause (I know why, the LAW) el-chode?  Seriously?  How about executions in general?  Ever.  Do I want to personally torture and cut to ribbons the maniac that rapes and kills a 10 year old girl?  Yeah, I kinda do.  If I can just be sure it was him right, 100% certain, no reasonable doubt, red-handed.  But the thing is, I don't want to do it, because then that can be stretched out, the parameters widened.  Why not outrage at capital punishment in general?  Because everyone wants to kill that maniac, everyone wants 'justice', and they assume the system works, but it doesn't.  Innocent people have been executed.  That is never acceptable.  The opportunity to exact revenge/justice on a thousand sadistic barbarous murderers, will never be worth the life of one innocent.  Yeah, I changed the subject a little, but it's my rant, and I was curious about your selective outrage.

Damn, I have more, but that took me twenty minutes, later...

P.S. - I am 43 and I struggle to think of one thing that has made me proud of America during my lifetime.
Sisyphus - Just rollin' that rock up the hill, and hoping it doesn't crush me on the way back down..

sweatboard

I don't care how many people it kills.....I'm so over paying $50 a tank as opposed to $45
There's Still Time.........

sweatboard

Quote from: sweatboard on Oct 23, 2012, 11:33 PM
I don't care how many people it kills.....I'm so over paying $50 a tank as opposed to $45

That's like one less snickers bar a week.   :evil:

sweatboard

I seriously believe that if if you just put $5 in your empty tank it doesn't last as long as the first $5 you put into a full tank.  Just one more measure of control.  Right?

exist10z

Quote from: sweatboard on Oct 24, 2012, 12:27 AM
I seriously believe that if if you just put $5 in your empty tank it doesn't last as long as the first $5 you put into a full tank.  Just one more measure of control.  Right?

Don't worry about the gas prices, eventually the Republicans will buy complete control of the government (or have their mindless minions take it by force) and they will fix the gas prices.  After they've sucked up all the fossil fuels, lining every natural vista and coastline horizon with oil rigs, they'll figure out a way to simply turn the poor into fuel.  They'll have them lined up thinking they're getting food, but instead funnel them into a machine that turns them into fuel.  Soylent Fuel is people!

Seriously, I have often wondered, with all the money Republicans want to spend on bombs we don't need, and all the money they want to cut from services for the poor and needy, why not just solve both problems.  They can just drop the bombs on the poor, problem solved!  We're doing it everywhere else in the world, let's bring this successful policy to America.  Watch out inner cities...

sweatboard

I was dumb enough to think that the GOP was DEAD after the last ellection.  But no, here they come again with some other slick talking CEO/Politician douchebag, that has a shit ton of money behind them, pretending that they have the best intrest of poor flag waving rednecks at heart. 

Why won't they just DIE already?

sweatboard

Quote from: exist10z on Oct 24, 2012, 12:38 AM

Don't worry about the gas prices, eventually the Republicans will buy complete control of the government (or have their mindless minions take it by force) and they will fix the gas prices.  After they've sucked up all the fossil fuels, lining every natural vista and coastline horizon with oil rigs, they'll figure out a way to simply turn the poor into fuel.  They'll have them lined up thinking they're getting food, but instead funnel them into a machine that turns them into fuel.  Soylent Fuel is people!

Seriously, I have often wondered, with all the money Republicans want to spend on bombs we don't need, and all the money they want to cut from services for the poor and needy, why not just solve both problems.  They can just drop the bombs on the poor, problem solved!  We're doing it everywhere else in the world, let's bring this successful policy to America.  Watch out inner cities...

exactly, The plan Romney has to "balance the budget" more or less envolves dropping a bomb on the inner cities and poor rural areas.  He just can't say it yet cause it would piss off a lot of people, including me....but I can read between his lines. 

el_chode

I've researched this...a full tank, though adding significant weight to the vehicle, also lowers the chasis in a proportional matter to make it slightly more aerodynamic. So the proper question is whether this design feature of a car is a republican maneuver to keep you buying more gas when you don't need it.
I'm surrounded by assholes