J. Tillman/Father John Misty

Started by BH, Oct 09, 2012, 02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

Father John Misty on Free Bird

Father John Misty at The Danforth 2013

Yeah man O, there are assholes everywhere.  Don't let me get started on DC shows.  There are no words.  That said, some here know my take on FJM v. J Tillman where it's hard to know what is real or shtick and how the lines have blurred with his own confusion over his identity.  Self absorption vs. detachment can sometimes be like oil and water.  I'd take this all with a grain of salt.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

oistheone

Quote from: Ruckus on Aug 05, 2013, 10:53 PM
Yeah man O, there are assholes everywhere.  Don't let me get started on DC shows.  There are no words.  That said, some here know my take on FJM v. J Tillman where it's hard to know what is real or shtick and how the lines have blurred with his own confusion over his identity.  Self absorption vs. detachment can sometimes be like oil and water.  I'd take this all with a grain of salt.

No matter what his motivations, it's all fucking fascinating to me! Love me a good personality versus persona debate when it comes to artists.

On a completely unrelated note, does anyone know the names of the guys in his band? He introduced them, but of course I can't remember, and I can't find it anywhere online. His lead guitarist is fucking awesome.

Ruckus

Quote from: oistheone on Aug 06, 2013, 08:14 AM
Quote from: Ruckus on Aug 05, 2013, 10:53 PM

No matter what his motivations, it's all fucking fascinating to me! Love me a good personality versus persona debate when it comes to artists.

On a completely unrelated note, does anyone know the names of the guys in his band? He introduced them, but of course I can't remember, and I can't find it anywhere online. His lead guitarist is fucking awesome.
Ha! My disdain for DC and his shtick completely sidetracked me from your original point.  So was it a plant?  Fully seems to have corroborating evidence.  To the best of my recollection I do not recall a Freebird call at my show on this tour.   

I think his motivations mean everything to me.  If I'm going to a stand up or improv show, I know I'm going to get fucked with and that's the fun of it.  When a musician has transformed himself in the span of a year while saying it's not shtick but a true change, then pulls these kind of overly dramatic/emo stunts, I want to know they were genuine.  Otherwise fuck off because I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.

Agreed about the guitarist and the whole band in general.  They sounded great!
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

BH

That guitarist is really awesome.   I've tried to find his name in the past and can't come up with anything.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

oistheone

Took me a while to find, but luckily I had nothing else to do at work. So I give you Father John Misty's guitarist... Benji Lysaght!

Nice little bit about his gear and sound here:

QuoteThough Josh's wit and humor make the show memorable, I have to admit that the most striking part of the show for me was Benji Lysaght (lead guitar) who was the icing on the cake, musically speaking. And I don't just mean he was sugary frosting thrown carelessly on top; Benji's precise bends and strident lead work was also held that velvety confection together, like a layer of chocolate mousse in the middle, simultaneously sweet and salty. He could also be strawberry or cherry filling, if you're that kind. I'm done with this metaphor.

Taking in the performance that night, Benji (formerly of Ambulance LTD and Brandon Flowers' solo record Flamingo) seems perfectly poised to become a guitar hero in his own right. Never over playing, Benji brought equal parts gristle and snarl to the table. I thought I was prepared for the concert having listened to the record beforehand, but I was honestly blown away by his deft execution of pedal steel licks, behind-the-nut bends, and fast-paced country runs. Dude knows his stuff. And his tone? Fantastic. Utilizing a host of pedals–including a silver box Klon Centaur and an Earthquaker Devices Rainbow Machine–and an older Tone King Meteor powered by a quartet of 6V6s, Benji culled some breath taking sounds out of his choice vintage guitars. He employed a 1951 two-pickup Esquire, a quirky-cool late 50′s Guyatone LG-60 and a vintage Epiphone 12-string.

http://mmguitarbar.com/tag/father-john-misty/

Taterbug

Going to see FJM solo this Saturday night.   Not sure what to expect. He has a comedian opening up for him. 
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

Crispy

Quote from: Taterbug on Oct 10, 2013, 05:03 PM
Going to see FJM solo this Saturday night.   Not sure what to expect. He has a comedian opening up for him.

Are you sure he's not the comedian?
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Taterbug

Quote from: Crispy on Oct 10, 2013, 05:05 PM

Ha Ha,  no her name is Kate Berlant.  I did read one review that said he plays the show from behind a giant I-phone.  I just hope nobody yells freebird and the JFM that destroyed his drummers kit at newport folk fest shows up and cuts the show short. Hopefully his belly is full of adderall.  I'm taking my wife,  my bro and his girlfriend.  Looking forward to it. 
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

Fully

Quote from: Taterbug on Oct 10, 2013, 05:24 PM

Ha Ha,  no her name is Kate Berlant.  I did read one review that said he plays the show from behind a giant I-phone.  I just hope nobody yells freebird and the JFM that destroyed his drummers kit at newport folk fest shows up and cuts the show short. Hopefully his belly is full of adderall.  I'm taking my wife,  my bro and his girlfriend.  Looking forward to it.

What Catfish and Sideshow Bob don't want to see some hip swiveling dripping with sarcasm?

robb

i'm seeing his solo show on monday.  pretty interested to see how this solo gig pans out.
some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

Taterbug

Quote from: robb on Oct 11, 2013, 12:31 PM
i'm seeing his solo show on monday.  pretty interested to see how this solo gig pans out.

I'll let ya know Robb.

jaye

I watched the livestream of his solo show from Outside Lands - yes in an iPhone and no hip swiveling.  It was great!

Taterbug

I saw his setlist.  Looks like he played about 4 new songs. 

oistheone

Add me to the list of those seeing FJM solo next week. I was initially reluctant to see him sans band (because his band kicks ass), but I ultimately just couldn't pass up the chance to hear that voice, whether that voice is singing or slagging the audience.

FiddleCastro

Ha! I was talking to *unnamed musician* and *unnamed musician* and I started talking about when they met Father John Misty, and I asked about him, and *unnamed musician* said "He's a comedian and a musician"

That iPhone thing sounds pretty ridiculous.  :grin:
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

robb

last night some drunk asshole was heckling the comedian through her whole set, and kept his antics up during FJM's first couple songs.  FJM walked right up to him and reached into his pocket and said "how much do i have to pay? because i'm not putting up with this shit."  he gave the dude $20 and had security show the guy out.  overall it was a really great show and he played  a TON of new material.  really looking forward to the new album.  has anybody heard when that might come out?
some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

oistheone

Quote from: robb on Oct 15, 2013, 08:56 AM
last night some drunk asshole was heckling the comedian through her whole set, and kept his antics up during FJM's first couple songs.  FJM walked right up to him and reached into his pocket and said "how much do i have to pay? because i'm not putting up with this shit."  he gave the dude $20 and had security show the guy out.  overall it was a really great show and he played  a TON of new material.  really looking forward to the new album.  has anybody heard when that might come out?

:grin: YES! What an awesome story, not to mention unique and perfectly FJM way of handling a heckler. Seeing him tonight and really looking forward to it. This tour sounds pretty special.

Taterbug

The Comedian was good for the first 2 minutes then lost the crowd. It was a good show
though.  The crowd was mostly respectful but as her act went on the talking got louder.

oistheone

What a pleasure it was to see FJM at a show with a respectful audience! The near-silence from the crowd allowed his very tender guitar playing to shine, and man oh man, his voice is sounding better than ever. It's the way that he sings -- such a wonderful sound, with those melodies always lingering in my head long after the show.

He was in a great mood throughout, making several comments referencing his last show in Toronto -- the "meltdown". He said the reason why he smashed his guitar and walked off last time in town was because "when you're very drunk, and very tired, sometimes you just need to call it a night, and lay down on a comfortable surface. And I find Toronto to be a very comfortable surface."

At that point someone, of course, yelled FREEBIRD -- causing him to immediately go into a faux-rage and pretend to smash his guitar, before laughing it off and apologizing again for his mood last time he was in town.

The new tunes indeed sounded fantastic, and can't wait to hear them with full arrangements. I know his schtick is not for everyone, but I was surprised last night that he actually had less banter than when he was with a full band. He just let his talent as a performer carry the show. And carry the show he did.

ironmike

New album has leaked and it's a beauty