J. Tillman/Father John Misty

Started by BH, Oct 09, 2012, 02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oistheone

This is very off-topic and only has partial FJM content, but I just had to share...

So I came home today from a cottage and found my apartment had been broken into. Door kicked down, shit strewn everywhere, the whole schabang. I did inventory for the next hour, trying to figure out what was stolen. The verdict? About $100 in cash, some subway tokens and my motherfucking tickets to a Father John Misty show in August. What kinda broke-ass hipsters BnE'ed me?!?

I tweeted about this in a rage, and within five minutes, I had a reply from our very own Fully, who suggested I call Ticketmaster. I did, and they said they'd replace them for a $15 fee. Not what I wanted to hear after just being broken into. I check back on Twitter, and lo and behold, FJM had replied to me saying he'd put me on the guestlist! What a fucking guy! That's one surefire way to make a fan for life. Whether or not this guestlist thing ends up working out, the kind words from both FJM and Fully really brightened my day. So thanks to both of you!

Ruckus

Great story and glad you are OK O. 
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

BH

Nice!   Good karma for you and BAD Karma for broke ass hipster!   I wonder if you can get the barcodes from the stolen tickets and catch that mfer.    Of course he probably sold them.

One of my friends gave me a FJM tee shirt and a homemade FJM cooly cup at my surprise 40 party on Saturday.  Feelin' Misty Y'all!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

vespachick

Classy move Team Tillman!

EDIT: BH what the heck is a cooley cup?
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

Murph

Quote from: oistheone on Jul 02, 2013, 05:38 PM
This is very off-topic and only has partial FJM content, but I just had to share...

So I came home today from a cottage and found my apartment had been broken into. Door kicked down, shit strewn everywhere, the whole schabang. I did inventory for the next hour, trying to figure out what was stolen. The verdict? About $100 in cash, some subway tokens and my motherfucking tickets to a Father John Misty show in August. What kinda broke-ass hipsters BnE'ed me?!?

I tweeted about this in a rage, and within five minutes, I had a reply from our very own Fully, who suggested I call Ticketmaster. I did, and they said they'd replace them for a $15 fee. Not what I wanted to hear after just being broken into. I check back on Twitter, and lo and behold, FJM had replied to me saying he'd put me on the guestlist! What a fucking guy! That's one surefire way to make a fan for life. Whether or not this guestlist thing ends up working out, the kind words from both FJM and Fully really brightened my day. So thanks to both of you!

Similar story... My younger sister, who has CP, fell in love with Fear Fun after I gave her a copy last year.  All I wanted to do was get her to a concert, but going to any venue in NYC with her is really an impossibility.  When I saw that FJM is playing a bar in Montauk, a little town in LI, I immediately emailed the place hoping that they could make some sort of arrangement for us. Never heard back from them.  A few weeks later I decided to try to get in touch with FJM.  I ended up emailing his agent and manager and explaining that I would love to bring my sister to his show in Montuak, but some special accommodations would need to be made.  Within hours they both emailed me back, having not talked to one another, saying the same thing.  They each called the venue and assured me that whatever accommodations needed to be made, would be made.  Obviously I was extremely grateful and so happy when I got to tell my sister that we were going to see FJM. 

oistheone

That is AWESOME Murph! Major kudos to you for reaching out to Team FJM, and major major kudos to them for getting back to you! Your sister must have been so thrilled! It's so refreshing to see an artist just so damn NICE with their fans.

Murph

Quote from: oistheone on Jul 02, 2013, 07:59 PM
That is AWESOME Murph! Major kudos to you for reaching out to Team FJM, and major major kudos to them for getting back to you! Your sister must have been so thrilled! It's so refreshing to see an artist just so damn NICE with their fans.

Yea it really was awesome, I was overwhelmed.  I'm very excited to be able to bring her to her first concert, especially in Montauk.  Willie Nelson played a show at this same place about a month ago and the whole town basically shut down.  It had to of easily been the smallest venue he's played in years.  I'm pretty sure this is the first year they've had real concerts there and they've gotten some great acts.  Check it out.... 

http://thesurflodge.com/concerts/

Dillsnufus

I need a ticket to the Boston show. Didn't know he was coming back. :angry:  if anyone has an extra pm me . thank u
Gazziza My Dillsnufus

FiddleCastro

Quote from: Murph on Jul 03, 2013, 10:22 PM

Yea it really was awesome, I was overwhelmed.  I'm very excited to be able to bring her to her first concert, especially in Montauk.  Willie Nelson played a show at this same place about a month ago and the whole town basically shut down.  It had to of easily been the smallest venue he's played in years.  I'm pretty sure this is the first year they've had real concerts there and they've gotten some great acts.  Check it out.... 

I think Real Estate played out there a couple of years ago.  Don't know if that counts as a "real" concert. I think it was before Days was released. I gotta make it out there for a show. It seems so awesome.
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

bluesky

Quote from: FiddleCastro on Jul 06, 2013, 12:53 PM
Quote from: Murph on Jul 03, 2013, 10:22 PM

I think Real Estate played out there a couple of years ago.  Don't know if that counts as a "real" concert. I think it was before Days was released. I gotta make it out there for a show. It seems so awesome.

i was at that real estate show Rich. Summer 2011! I think my friends and I were the only ones really listening

oistheone

Last night I saw Father John Misty at the Danforth Music Hall in Toronto. It was one of the most disappointing shows I've ever seen. But not because of Father John Misty -- he was fucking fantastic.

Having traveled from Lollapalooza earlier that day, the band took to the stage VERY late. Before even playing a note, FJM took the mic and launched into his schtick -- funny as always --  and apologized for being so late. He mentioned that "most of you have probably been here longer tonight than we have."

The band sounded fantastic and was in great spirits. FJM's "material" was unique, fresh and hilarious.

About half way through the show, the drunkards came out. FJM was in the middle of a bit, when some idiot kept yelling out FREEEEEEBIRD.

FJM told the guy to shut up. "You REALLY wanna hear Freebird?? Really? Well fuck it, here we go," and the band, without missing a beat, fucking launched into "Freebird".

After finishing, FJM said "You know, I guess Freebird is actually a pretty fucking awesome song. But that's IT! We played it you fuckers! It's OFF THE TABLE NOW! No more chanting! My dream is to gather up all the Freebird-yelling motherfuckers on the planet, put them on a rocket and fly it directly into the sun."

They played another song or two, and took their bows. After a few minutes of encore chanting, FJM emerged. He strapped on his guitar, stepped up to the mic and in the most real display of emotion I've ever seen at a show, said the following:

"This is our last club show on this tour. We've been touring for a year-and-a-half now, and I know I get up here and do all this jokey shit, but it really means a lot to me to be up here, playing these songs for you. After almost two years, I feel I have lost a connection to these songs. They don't mean anything to me anymore. But I hope they mean something to you."

Before he could finish that sentence, more chants of FREEEEEBIRD interrupted him. Another couple of drunks yelled PLAY SOME NEIL YOUNG

He stood at the mic, looking out into the crowd.

He took the guitar off his shoulders, smashed the fuck out of his guitar and walked off the stage.

The guitar was in pieces. The show was over.

A true artist pouring his guts out on stage, on the verge of true emotional connection with his audience. And this city rejects it.

I have never been more ashamed to be a concert-goer in Toronto.

GO4IT

Quote from: oistheone on Aug 04, 2013, 10:51 AM
Last night I saw Father John Misty at the Danforth Music Hall in Toronto. It was one of the most disappointing shows I've ever seen. But not because of Father John Misty -- he was fucking fantastic.

Having traveled from Lollapalooza earlier that day, the band took to the stage VERY late. Before even playing a note, FJM took the mic and launched into his schtick -- funny as always --  and apologized for being so late. He mentioned that "most of you have probably been here longer tonight than we have."

The band sounded fantastic and was in great spirits. FJM's "material" was unique, fresh and hilarious.

About half way through the show, the drunkards came out. FJM was in the middle of a bit, when some idiot kept yelling out FREEEEEEBIRD.

FJM told the guy to shut up. "You REALLY wanna hear Freebird?? Really? Well fuck it, here we go," and the band, without missing a beat, fucking launched into "Freebird".

After finishing, FJM said "You know, I guess Freebird is actually a pretty fucking awesome song. But that's IT! We played it you fuckers! It's OFF THE TABLE NOW! No more chanting! My dream is to gather up all the Freebird-yelling motherfuckers on the planet, put them on a rocket and fly it directly into the sun."

They played another song or two, and took their bows. After a few minutes of encore chanting, FJM emerged. He strapped on his guitar, stepped up to the mic and in the most real display of emotion I've ever seen at a show, said the following:

"This is our last club show on this tour. We've been touring for a year-and-a-half now, and I know I get up here and do all this jokey shit, but it really means a lot to me to be up here, playing these songs for you. After almost two years, I feel I have lost a connection to these songs. They don't mean anything to me anymore. But I hope they mean something to you."

Before he could finish that sentence, more chants of FREEEEEBIRD interrupted him. Another couple of drunks yelled PLAY SOME NEIL YOUNG

He stood at the mic, looking out into the crowd.

He took the guitar off his shoulders, smashed the fuck out of his guitar and walked off the stage.

The guitar was in pieces. The show was over.

A true artist pouring his guts out on stage, on the verge of true emotional connection with his audience. And this city rejects it.

I have never been more ashamed to be a concert-goer in Toronto.

Wow, that's quite a story.

jaye

Crispy

What a bunch of dicks, that really sucks. I would have been really excited to hear some J. Tillman songs, and would been extremely pissed at those assholes. Don't blame your city though, all it takes is a few drunken fools to make something like that happen, and they are everywhere.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

oistheone

Quote from: Crispy on Aug 04, 2013, 01:49 PM
What a bunch of dicks, that really sucks. I would have been really excited to hear some J. Tillman songs, and would been extremely pissed at those assholes. Don't blame your city though, all it takes is a few drunken fools to make something like that happen, and they are everywhere.

That is a great point Crispy, assholes ARE everywhere. I guess I just felt so outnumbered by them last night, and as the hecklers got louder and louder, they seemingly multiplied, to the point the whole place was drowning out Tillman. It was like the whole venue (and by that logic, the city) was against me and my desire to just watch an awesome show performed by an incredibly talented artist. It cannot reflect well on a city if an artist has that kind of experience there. It's embarrassing!

Having said that, it's very cool that FJM did that badass guitar smash/walk-off move to make a point. "You know what, you guys don't wanna listen to my music? Then FUCK YOU!" Of course, that message was most likely completely lost on the dozens of deuchebags who started the problem in the first place.

It was a show I will never forget, for both the right and wrong reasons. That smash was probably the most startling thing I've ever seen at a show. But man, sure got a visceral reaction outta me! Father John Misty cuts deep once again.

BH

Is it possible that the guy was a "plant" and the whole thing was one last hilarious bit from FJM?     I mean they were just ready to break into Freebird?   I know every musician probably knows that song but it almost seems too perfect.    I would trade my GnR riot attendance for the FJM Freebird/Smashed guitar show!   :wink:
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

oistheone

Quote from: BH on Aug 05, 2013, 05:10 PM
Is it possible that the guy was a "plant" and the whole thing was one last hilarious bit from FJM?     I mean they were just ready to break into Freebird?   I know every musician probably knows that song but it almost seems too perfect.    I would trade my GnR riot attendance for the FJM Freebird/Smashed guitar show!   :wink:

Haha, I definitely thought about the plant aspect, especially given who was on stage performing! He's no stranger to a put-on. And for all I know, the Freebird guy could have indeed been a plant!

But it was much later in the show when the crowd truly got outta control. There were hecklers earlier, but when it was just him up there with an acoustic guitar, I guess the assholes figured they'd overtake him? Tillman even said "let me be serious for a moment", before launching into his speech about the conflicting emotions he has about his songs. It was one of the most "real" moments I've ever seen at a show. Between that and the impromptu Freebird, I thought I was witnessing one of the most special FJM shows you could see! And I guess in the end, it was certainly a special show. Just not for all the reasons I thought.

However, now that I think about it, maybe you're right. Maybe FJM is SO FAR AHEAD of his crowd in this whole performance art thing that he REALIZED the crowd was rowdy and INTENTIONALLY stood up there and delivered an emotional speech that he was SURE the boisterous crowd wouldn't be able to handle, and MILKED the out of control aspect to APPEAR to build inner frustration, ultimately culminating in the guitar-smash/walk-off!

Any other artist I'd say that's a little far fetched. But FJM... maybe??

BH

Quote from: oistheone on Aug 05, 2013, 05:51 PM

Haha, I definitely thought about the plant aspect, especially given who was on stage performing! He's no stranger to a put-on. And for all I know, the Freebird guy could have indeed been a plant!

But it was much later in the show when the crowd truly got outta control. There were hecklers earlier, but when it was just him up there with an acoustic guitar, I guess the assholes figured they'd overtake him? Tillman even said "let me be serious for a moment", before launching into his speech about the conflicting emotions he has about his songs. It was one of the most "real" moments I've ever seen at a show. Between that and the impromptu Freebird, I thought I was witnessing one of the most special FJM shows you could see! And I guess in the end, it was certainly a special show. Just not for all the reasons I thought.

However, now that I think about it, maybe you're right. Maybe FJM is SO FAR AHEAD of his crowd in this whole performance art thing that he REALIZED the crowd was rowdy and INTENTIONALLY stood up there and delivered an emotional speech that he was SURE the boisterous crowd wouldn't be able to handle, and MILKED the out of control aspect to APPEAR to build inner frustration, ultimately culminating in the guitar-smash/walk-off!

It is kind of far fetched but if anyone could pull it off, he could!    I don't remember ever seeing him with a guitar as FJM at a regular show but that could easily be my drinking memory.

Waddy Peytona

Quote from: BH on Aug 05, 2013, 06:03 PM
Quote from: oistheone on Aug 05, 2013, 05:51 PM

It is kind of far fetched but if anyone could pull it off, he could!    I don't remember ever seeing him with a guitar as FJM at a regular show but that could easily be my drinking memory.

He has played guitar at all three shows I've seen.

Fully

I'm glad you brought up the plant, BH. In Nashville he was having a "quiet moment with just him and his guitar" (I am not implying anything sexual with my quotation marks-they just seemed right. Anyway, the crowd was talking and he started getting I'll about it. Then I remember someone yelling Freebird. Then he stormed off. He did come back and play his encore. I wish I could tell you more specifics, but it was back in May and my memory of that night is a tad bit fuzzy. But I've been thinking "plant" ever since I read the post describing the Toronto show.