J. Tillman/Father John Misty

Started by BH, Oct 09, 2012, 02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BH

This song makes me want to go to film school, then write a western, produce and direct it, just so I can put it on the soundtrack at the climax of the film.    Anybody want to go to acting school so you can be my hero (or anti-hero)?

(wish I could find the studio version but this AINT bad.)

http://youtu.be/GnuQVeRNDhE
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Fully

Sounds like exactly what you should do. I really like this song too. I think I like J. Tillman more than I like Fleet Foxes. He definitely made the right decision to leave the Fox.

pawpaw

I'm new to him, the Father John Misty album being my first and only exposure. Fear Fun really is a great one though, one of the best things I've heard this year. Which of his older albums do you guys recommend?

That's a cool song, Dave.  :beer:
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

bartel

love this man...album of the year.

BH

Quote from: bbill on Oct 09, 2012, 06:10 PM
I'm new to him, the Father John Misty album being my first and only exposure. Fear Fun really is a great one though, one of the best things I've heard this year. Which of his older albums do you guys recommend?

I only have one solo album, Year In The Kingdom.    I liked it when I first got it OK but didn't give it much attention.   But now, like you, l fell in love with Fear Fun and went back to it.   Now I want more.    Alady has been a fan for a long time I know.   I was going to ask her what her favorite was.   I think there are several other solo albums.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

BH

kotchishm

Quote from: BH on Oct 09, 2012, 11:29 PM

I only have one solo album, Year In The Kingdom.    I liked it when I first got it OK but didn't give it much attention.   But now, like you, l fell in love with Fear Fun and went back to it.   Now I want more.    Alady has been a fan for a long time I know.   I was going to ask her what her favorite was.   I think there are several other solo albums.

My favorite is Vacilando Territory Blues.  There are 3 total J. Tillman albums
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

BH

Quote from: kotchishm on Oct 10, 2012, 10:43 AM

Excellent, thanks for the tip!   Just added to my wishlist....

kotchishm

Quote from: BH on Oct 10, 2012, 12:56 PM

I take that back.  There are 7 J. Tillman albums. 

I Will Return (2005)
Long May You Run, J. Tillman (2006)
Minor Works (2006)
Cancer And Delirium (2007)
Vacilando Territory Blues (2009)
Year In The Kingdom (2009)
Singing Ax (2010)
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

BH

Quote from: kotchishm on Oct 10, 2012, 04:55 PM
Quote from: BH on Oct 10, 2012, 12:56 PM

I take that back.  There are 7 J. Tillman albums. 

I Will Return (2005)
Long May You Run, J. Tillman (2006)
Minor Works (2006)
Cancer And Delirium (2007)
Vacilando Territory Blues (2009)
Year In The Kingdom (2009)
Singing Ax (2010)

Wow, who knew he was so Ryan Adams like prolific.

MarkW

Minor Works is pretty good too.  I need to check out FJM.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

ALady

James Blues is my favorite from the J. Tillman days:

J. Tillman "James Blues"
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

GO4IT

Damn!!!
I waited to long and now the Father John Misty show is sold out at the Black Cat in DC.
Please PM me if you have 2 tix.

GO4IT

Fortunate to pick up two tix at face last night off of Craigslist for the Ms and I.
We're really pumped for the show tonight based on all we've heard and seen online.
Thank you all for bringing Tillman/Misty to my attention!

GO4IT

I waited a while before posting my comments just to let it all soak in and have a chance to listen to the vinyl version of Fear Fun which I bought at the show and listened to tonight.

The album is a good one, no doubt, but I'll need some more listens to really pass final judgement.

The show on Sat night left me a bit flat.  It was good, to be sure, but it didn't really elevate a notch or two from the studio versions of the tunes which I expect from a live show and after hearing all of the hype.  Plus, the show was only an hour long, including the encore.  Is this the best they could put out for a sold out show on a Sat night?  Maybe it was an off night.

The highlight of the night was running into Sassbox and Brock at the bar, unexpectedly, and watching the show with them!

Ob1jacobe

I saw FJM at ACL.  I thought he was great.  I am still interested in why he only sings and does not play guitar or drums.  He seems to be a gifted muli instrumentalist and would like to see him mix that in on a live stage.   He has pretty good but odd stage presence.   My brother and buddy that saw him with me were new to him and thought he was one of the better performance of the festival.

BH

Quote from: Ob1jacobe on Oct 24, 2012, 01:44 PM
I saw FJM at ACL.  I thought he was great.  I am still interested in why he only sings and does not play guitar or drums.  He seems to be a gifted muli instrumentalist and would like to see him mix that in on a live stage.   He has pretty good but odd stage presence.   My brother and buddy that saw him with me were new to him and thought he was one of the better performance of the festival.

http://www.fuse.tv/2012/10/austin-city-limits-2012-father-john-misty-performance-artist-extraordinaire

Fully

Here's a link to a podcast featuring Josh Tillman from Father John Misty:

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/whoopsie-doodles/

ManNamedTruth

Father John Misty on Conan tonight.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!