regions of light and sound of god

Started by baconus66, Nov 12, 2012, 02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dillsnufus

I'm liking the new track. tho it seems a bit like that part in walk hard where dewey cox is in his experimental phase and has a ton of different instruments in one track. reminds me of MMJ's cover of west end girls too.    I don't' know if i should hold off on pre ordering the vinyl tho. I have a gut feeling they'll be a record store day clear colorful swirl vinyl or something.
Gazziza My Dillsnufus

exist10z

Just listened to it for the first time, pretty surprised, pleasantly surprised, absolutely love it.  As some have written, I kinda thought it might be a whole bunch of Golden and Burmuda Highway, Jim acoustic, which is by no means a bad thing, but is something he's already done with the band.  This is pretty out there, but no so far out there as to be inaccessible.  Aspects have been explored with the band I think (TMIGTS, TDIC), and it's certainly derived from things being done by others, but I think it's a move forward/diverging from the rock/folk/soul sound of MMJ.  Which I am sure none of us want to stop or be too altered within the confines of the band.

Too me it's almost describable as maybe electronic/soul, which is not something that hasn't been done, but also isn't a genre combination that has been fully explored.  I am searching my mind for comparisons and having a difficult time thinking of them right now, though I suspect they will come over time.  I almost heard a little Massive Attack, and maybe a little Lucky Soul (albeit w/ a male singer).  I am sure I will think of more later, probably more closely related and appropriate comparisons, but regardless, I am excited.

Of course who knows how closely the actual album will hew to this song release, but if this is an indication, I can't wait to February.  I am a fan of electronic music, and jazz, and soul, and experimentation in general, so this song bodes well for me.  I can see how some might not be enthused, but it's nice to see an artist who you already enjoy, branch out into other areas that you already enjoy.  It's a double bonus. :grin:
Sisyphus - Just rollin' that rock up the hill, and hoping it doesn't crush me on the way back down..

Shug

Off topic:  exist10z, do you have the first Beth Orton album Trailer Park?  Sounds like you would dig it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VcP-KnqZJ0
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

BH

I love reading all these descriptions without actually hearing the song yet.

I like what I'm hearing from y'all.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Shug

Quote from: Dillsnufus on Nov 12, 2012, 04:01 PM
tho it seems a bit like that part in walk hard where dewey cox is in his experimental phase and has a tons of different instruments in one track.

:grin: :grin: :grin: :beer:

BigHerm

Bigsky

BigHerm

Quote from: Bigsky on Nov 12, 2012, 04:32 PM
Quote from: BigHerm on Nov 12, 2012, 04:31 PM
Not digging it.  :embarrassed:

...try a different shovel...;)
I'm going to try the green one when I get home. :grin:

oistheone

Well played BigHerm. Green shovel worked wonders for me last night. It's a pretty far-out listen. Lots of sounds coming and going, stopping and starting.

The coda is the most interesting part of the song for me. Starts off sounding like Touch Me Pt. 2 and then warps into that shufflin' jazz breakdown. Any guesses on what that instrument that comes in 5:13 could be? Sounds like it could be some sort of synth, but I could also see it being a real instrument judging by how soulfully it is played. Sounds like a very overmudulated and distorted sax, or some sort of snake-charming instrument.

Yep, this is funky shit alright.

pawpaw

Quote from: exist10z on Nov 12, 2012, 04:13 PM
I almost heard a little Massive Attack...

This, though a little more uptempo and with a little more soul-punch than straight Trip Hop. But I think that's a good comparison. I like the song, and am looking forward to the album. I wonder how this will tour, with any accompanying musicians, and if so, who and what?
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

mahg33ta

I'm not feeling it either, but plenty of time to warm up to it.   Not worried, not complaining, just sayin'

TheThird

Definitely a surprise but a good one! I'm really liking the song and it's only growing on me with each listen. It's going to be interesting to see if how the rest of the album compares to it, but if it's along the same lines, then I'll be happy. But then again, even if it does a 180 I'll be happy. I'm just happy about having a new full length Jim album.
[url="http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection"]http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection[/url]

exist10z

Quote from: Shug on Nov 12, 2012, 04:19 PM
Off topic:  exist10z, do you have the first Beth Orton album Trailer Park?  Sounds like you would dig it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VcP-KnqZJ0

I have heard of, but am not familiar with Beth Orton, I'll give it a listen.  Always imagined it was folky?
Sisyphus - Just rollin' that rock up the hill, and hoping it doesn't crush me on the way back down..

exist10z

I think I always want to do this, because they are probably my two favorite current bands, but I get a little bit of Radiohead experimentation from the track as well.  The repetitive electronic sounds, the groove...

I always want to find parallels with my favorite bands though, it's a sickness.  Even if non-existent, I want to find them.  I always compare a bands album arc to the Beatles or Zeppelin or whomever, looking for patterns, comparing sales, experimentation and 'progress', etc.

My wife is a huge Radiohead fan, and generally favors electronic music, and as soon as I heard Know Til Now I thought, 'will she like this?'.  Anyway, who cares, I 'dig it the most'.

Fully

I really like the fact that it doesn't sound like a mmj song. And I agree, the coda is the best part even though I like the vocal section too.

wolof7

Wolof likes upon first listen

Wolof also reserved God's Man at the local library, gotta see what it's all about.

Wolof will pre-order the vinyl, Wolof don't need no schwag.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

pattilovesmmj

Dear Jim, please tour.......................

Shug

Quote from: exist10z on Nov 12, 2012, 05:16 PM
I have heard of, but am not familiar with Beth Orton, I'll give it a listen.  Always imagined it was folky?

Folky electronica  :cool:  She did some soulful stuff with Terry Callier on her Best Bit EP, too.

Shug

When I saw MMJ at the Universal last year, I was talking after the show with some Hollywood film industry dudes (friends of a friend) who were wanting to do a film of God's Man and were talking with Jim and MMJ that very night about making music for the film.  My guess is that the film project never happened and Jim decided to write and record the music anyway as his own solo project.

CHIMMJFAN

Damn just got home from work and saw the email! I have been home for about 1 hour and I have listened to the new song, oh say......7 times lol!
Whenever I hear new MMJ or related it never sinks in right away, always kind of surreal. I love all the different parts to this song. I was expecting something new and different for his solo album. It looks as though I am not going to be disappointed!

CHIMMJFAN
"He got tired of walkin' a tightrope"