The Black Crowes Appreciation Thread

Started by Shug, Nov 17, 2012, 02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBSUNFLWR

Shug

Quote from: midwesterner on Nov 28, 2012, 03:54 PM
I would love to see another Brothers of a Feather tour. I saw the NYC shows and loved them. Maybe next year after CRB finishes touring. 

Me, too, dude.  I'm not holding my breath, though.  As much as I love the Crowes and as highly as I think of Chris and his encyclopedic knowledge and appreciation of great music, I'm just not that enamoured with his recent love affair with the Grateful Dead and the lazy, meandering jamming that CRB is doing (and I really love the Dead, too).  Most of my Crowes-loving friends love CRB, so I'm mostly alone on that one.  I think CR, at this point in his musical career, is way better when Rich is involved.  Brothers Of A Feather shows were also really really good.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

Mr. White

Can anyone tell me which of the many, many BC Roadshow recordings available on Nugs.net present LIVEDOWNLOADS are the best. There are so many to choose from. A little guidance would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.livedownloads.com/searchRes.aspx?searchStr=black+crowes&x=22&y=3
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

ffghtrs

never been a huge Crowes fan but i have mad respect for quite a bit of their music and i really enjoy Chris Robinson's Brotherhood Phosphorescent Harvest new release.
Can you keep it simple? Can you let the snare crack? Can you let it move without holding back?

Mr. White

Quote from: ffghtrs on May 30, 2014, 06:17 PM
never been a huge Crowes fan but i have mad respect for quite a bit of their music and i really enjoy Chris Robinson's Brotherhood Phosphorescent Harvest new release.

I like Phosphorescent Harvest pretty well too. I have all 3 of their studio albums and got all 5 Betty Cantor-Jackson recorded shows from San Francisco in December of 2012 off of Livedownloads a couple of weeks ago. They sound wonderful! I'm going to see CRB on June 20th at Louisville's newest live venue, the Mercury Ballroom, which holds around 900. It should be a killer show.

As far as the Black Crowes downloads go, I have only purchased one show. I went for the September 12, 2001 show due to the short write-up on the Livedownloads site. I am drawn to things that were happening at that particular moment in time. The recording of that 9/12/2001 show is a little quiet, but the show itself was pretty special.

I am still waiting for some input from Shug on the topic of exactly which shows/time periods represented in the Livedownloads collection of BC shows are my best bet.

logan5ive

Quote from: Mr. White on May 17, 2014, 12:57 AM
Can anyone tell me which of the many, many BC Roadshow recordings available on Nugs.net present LIVEDOWNLOADS are the best. There are so many to choose from. A little guidance would be greatly appreciated.

You really can't go wrong with any of the shows from the 96/97 tour, but I really think the 2005 tour (Sept-Dec) was their best. Check out the setlist from 12/30/05- top notch!
MMJ Shows 2005-2022 [30]

Mr. White

Quote from: logan5ive on May 30, 2014, 11:44 PM

You really can't go wrong with any of the shows from the 96/97 tour, but I really think the 2005 tour (Sept-Dec) was their best. Check out the setlist from 12/30/05- top notch!

Thanks for the suggestions, logan5ive. I did look over that 12/30/2005 show and will probably make that my next purchase.

Shug

check the first post in this thread I started.  I heartily agree with logan, Fall 2005 kicked ass and 12-30-05 was a monster.  Another monstrously fanfuckingtastic show was 5-14-05.  you can download or you can still buy the physical discs.  HIGHLY recommended! http://instantlive.shop.musictoday.com/Product.aspx?cp=858_4575_8569&pc=IVCD208

Mr. White

Quote from: Shug on Jun 02, 2014, 07:48 PM

check the first post in this thread I started.  I heartily agree with logan, Fall 2005 kicked ass and 12-30-05 was a monster.  Another monstrously fanfuckingtastic show was 5-14-05.  you can download or you can still buy the physical discs.  HIGHLY recommended! http://instantlive.shop.musictoday.com/Product.aspx?cp=858_4575_8569&pc=IVCD208

Thanks, Shug! I needed that!

Black Crowes Forever!

Mr. White

Quote from: Mr. White on Jun 02, 2014, 07:50 PM
Quote from: Shug on Jun 02, 2014, 07:48 PM

Thanks, Shug! I needed that!

Black Crowes Forever!

Also, thanks for the link to "instantlive". The CD has been paid for and should be here in 7 to 10 days!

Shug

So 5-14-05 is my top recommendation, but its not at liveblackcrowes.com just at the link I posted above to buy the physical discs, but its truly a must-have, IMO.

12-30-05 Providence, as Logan mentioned is excellent, too.

Other great shows from the 2005-2006 with Marc Ford and Eddie Harsch that are at liveblackcrowes.com are:

8-10-05 Fillmore, SF
3-19-06 London
3-20-06 London
8-1-06 Columbus, OH (blazing Ford solos on Got To Get Better and Steady Rollin' Man!!!)

I'm not as much a fan of '96 and '97 but many fans think those years are the peak.  Anything from Europe in '97 is probably a pretty safe bet.

Let us know what you pick up and what you think!

Shug

Quote from: Mr. White on Jun 02, 2014, 10:37 PM
Also, thanks for the link to "instantlive". The CD has been paid for and should be here in 7 to 10 days!

:thumbsup:  :beer:

Its a very good sounding recording.  I can turn down the lights, burn one, crank it up full blast and feel like I'm there.  I recommend listening as loud as your situation will allow and giving it your full attention, its worth it!

Mr. White

I got my double live CD of the 5/14/2005 show in the mail late last week and have been listening to it a lot these past few days. The recording is killer! They put out a lot of high energy for that show. Thanks again, Shug! I'll probably move on to that 12/30/2005 show next (after my finances recover a bit...been getting a lot of new albums lately).

Shug

Right on, Mr. White.  Ain't that jam before Black Moon Creeping some of the sickest Zeppelin-like stuff you've ever heard a 90s band do?  They are so deep into that dirty nasty groove,  I love that show!  Marc Ford was such a badass back then.  Wish he and Eddie were still in the Crowes and rocking hard.  It was sweet while it lasted.

Shug

Mr. White

Mr. White

LBSUNFLWR

as much as I was always impressed by Marc Ford, and also very impressed with Luther, I loved seeing them with Jackie last year:

The Black Crowes - Wiser Time (CAUTION - This is a JAM!!!!); Chicago, IL 4/17/13

Not to mention the real star of this band RICH!!!
Just never ever a shortage of over the top incredible guitar playing in this band, no matter who was joining Rich.

Shug

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Jun 22, 2014, 01:54 PM
Not to mention the real star of this band RICH!!!
Just never ever a shortage of over the top incredible guitar playing in this band, no matter who was joining Rich.

I'm glad when others acknowledge Rich.  Without him there would have been no riffs.  Almost all of the Crowes music was written by Rich, especially in the early years.  Rich rules!

LBSUNFLWR

:thumbsup: I love Rich!
He plays so effortlessly too. I have always loved watching him.