The Black Crowes Appreciation Thread

Started by Shug, Nov 17, 2012, 02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. White

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Jan 10, 2018, 01:43 PM
Quote from: APR on Jan 10, 2018, 01:37 PM
Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Jan 09, 2018, 05:45 PM
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/chris-robinson-on-reviving-black-crowes-songs-new-band-w515202

Chris doing a little mini tour to play Black Crowes songs again.
Has Audley Freed and Marcus King on board for guitar!
Just a mini tour and I'm pretty excited they're coming within driving distance for me.

When I read about this yesterday, I thought of you and am not surprised you're up on the news and going.  Enjoy!!

ha! thanks.
I just got tickets to the show in Lexington on the presale. It's an hour and a half away on a week night, but I have to be there!! With less than 20 shows I am grateful one is close to me.

Presale code is ATCF2018 if anyone else is looking to go to any shows. Presale started about 45 minutes ago.

I wound up getting a ticket for the Nashville show on the following Sunday (April 29, 2018) at the Ryman Auditorium. I went all in and got the very expensive VIP ticket that includes the meet and greet with signed poster and more. My seat is almost dead center on the first row of wooden benches (behind two rows of folding chairs directly in front of the stage). I got the $11.60 insurance in case I can't make it (first time ever purchasing this). I got the insurance because the ticket was $178.50 after fees. My brother lives in Nashville, so I should be able to spend some time with him either before or after the show. Should be a fun show!
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

LBSUNFLWR

I would have loved to go to The Ryman show instead, but that would have meant a hotel and time off work, etc. I've only been to The Ryman once for 2 nights of The Black Crowes in 2013. Those seats will be incredible.

I am not really a fan of the venue in Lexington where they're playing, but again, grateful to get to see one of these shows.

Shug

The dude who capped on his brother for being in a "Black Crowes tribute band" is now starting his own Crowes tribute band? Can you say fucking hypocrite?  The more he runs his ignorant arrogant mouth the more I despise Chris Robinson.  What a douchebag.

https://www.jambase.com/article/chris-robinson-takes-aim-john-mayer-rich-robinson-howard-stern-show

"Donald Trump is president, John Mayer's in the Grateful Dead and my brother is a Black Crowes tribute band." When Howard pushed Chris for his thoughts on John Mayer, Robinson responded "the Grateful Dead has turned into this giant nipple that everyone sucks off of to get money." He added, "I'm not a big John Mayer fan. Jerry Garcia is a hero of mine. Everything that Jerry Garcia ever talked about or stood for – John Mayer is the antithesis." When Stern tried to rebut Chris's take, Robinson offered, "he knows all the licks, there's nothing unique about his playing. Jerry was one of the most unique musicians in the world. Jerry never played anyone else's licks and now here's John Mayer playing everyone else's licks."

Chris spent a few minutes talking about his distaste for his brother and other members of the Crowes. Robinson said he doesn't hate his old mates, but wouldn't perform with them again even if the group was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame. The vocalist also took aim at Rich's songwriting skills.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

parkervb

for anyone there's a webcast on Relix new streaming channel of As The Crow Flies

https://www.relix.com/channel.php

Don't you ever turn it off

LBSUNFLWR

Quote from: parkervb on Apr 17, 2018, 01:04 PM
for anyone there's a webcast on Relix new streaming channel of As The Crow Flies

I'm debating watching and reading about these shows or just waiting to be surprised next week in Lexington when I get to see for myself.

parkervb

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Apr 17, 2018, 01:12 PM
Quote from: parkervb on Apr 17, 2018, 01:04 PM

I'm debating watching and reading about these shows or just waiting to be surprised next week in Lexington when I get to see for myself.

I'm going to pass on this one since it's $14.99. Didn't know Marcus King was in the band, that's pretty cool I guess

BH

I'm going to see the hypocrite tonight.   Can't help it.  Need my Crowes fix, it's been too long.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

LBSUNFLWR

Quote from: BH on May 01, 2018, 03:36 PM
I'm going to see the hypocrite tonight.   Can't help it.  Need my Crowes fix, it's been too long.

And what did you think??

I was really happy with the show I saw. I've seen the setlists are almost identical every night, and filled with songs Ive seen many many times, but I got to hear Nonfiction, Good Friday, Thorn and Wiser and that's good enough for me!!! I'm grateful one of these As The Crow Flies shows came through my area.

BH

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on May 04, 2018, 08:19 AM

And what did you think??

I was really happy with the show I saw. I've seen the setlists are almost identical every night, and filled with songs Ive seen many many times, but I got to hear Nonfiction, Good Friday, Thorn and Wiser and that's good enough for me!!! I'm grateful one of these As The Crow Flies shows came through my area.

It was a lot of fun.  It was definitely a "greatest hits" show and it felt a little weird at first.   It didn't quite have the same feel as an old classic show but great times nonetheless.  Chris hasn't learned any new moves lol.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

LBSUNFLWR

Quote from: BH on May 04, 2018, 03:29 PM
Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on May 04, 2018, 08:19 AM

And what did you think??

It was a lot of fun.  It was definitely a "greatest hits" show and it felt a little weird at first.   It didn't quite have the same feel as an old classic show but great times nonetheless.  Chris hasn't learned any new moves lol.

No he hasn't. I saw Magpie last year, and I'll be seeing them again in September, but for me there is definitely something missing there!! I thought As the Crow Flies was a better show, despite the greatest hits setlist.

Mr. White

I was on the 3rd row at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville last Sunday, April 29, 2018. Never got to see the Black Crowes before, so this was super special for me. Also did the VIP package with the Meet and Greet before the show. Here's my video of "Seeing Things".

Here's "She Talks To Angels".

LBSUNFLWR

That's awesome, Mr. White! How was the meet and greet? Did you meet all of them.

Two of my last Black Crowes shows were at The Ryman in 2013, was the only time I've been there and they were special shows.

Thanks for the videos. Will watch when I get home.

Mr. White

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on May 05, 2018, 08:56 PM
That's awesome, Mr. White! How was the meet and greet? Did you meet all of them.

Two of my last Black Crowes shows were at The Ryman in 2013, was the only time I've been there and they were special shows.

Thanks for the videos. Will watch when I get home.

The meet and greet was very quick (I've never been to one, so it may be the standard, I don't know). I did mention to him about seeing him perform at last year's Bourbon and Beyond in Louisville and again about 3 years ago at the Mercury Ballroom. He said I must be based out of Louisville, and I said yes and proceeded to suggest he collaborate with My Morning Jacket if he could (I was wearing my Jim silhouette shirt from rincon2 at the time). He looked at me and kind of nodded his head, and I moved along. I didn't ask for an autograph since he had already signed the VIP tour posters (the rest of the band didn't sign).

The show was really good. I had the front row of wooden pews and only had the two rows of folding chairs in front of me. I was pretty much dead-center. I thought they played pretty tight, and Chris' singing was fantastic. Wish I could have seen the real Black Crowes before they quit touring. This was good though.

LBSUNFLWR

This was the closest thing to the Black Crowes I've seen since 2013.
I love seeing The CRB but it's not The Black Crowes. I was thrilled when this was announced and hope they'll do another tour someday.

I have a lot of BC soundboards if you are in need of some.

BH

Thanks for that Seeing Things vid Mr White!   So good.   Makes me close my eyes and shake my head.

parkervb

Magpie got booked for our local venue in Sept. Looking fwd to checking that out.

parkervb

ChiefOKONO

The Magpie Salute just added some new west coast shows!   :drum:

http://themagpiesalute.com/events

LBSUNFLWR

If anyone is looking to check out As The Crow Flies I'd recommend the Kansas City show. So far it's the best one of the few soundboards I've listened to.

Can Dropbox the show too.

ChiefOKONO

Have to bump this thread because Steve Gorman just released his book about the Crowes: "Hard to Handle - The Life and Death of the Black Crowes"

I just got it and cannot wait to delve into it...
It sounds really great and Steve has an amazing memory so I think it will be very interesting!  Also included are some previously unreleased photos.