what band can you make an expert mix tape for?

Started by sweatboard, Nov 19, 2012, 08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweatboard

There's Still Time.........

sweatboard

I just spent 10 min. loading this Rush playlist into my Rhapsody player....This Shit BETTER Be Good!!!

sweatboard

Paulie_Walnuts

The Gourds (chronologically)....13 tracks just aren't enough:

1. Caledonia (Dem's Good Beeble)
   2. All The Labor (Dem's Good Beeble)
   3. Plaid Coat (Stadium Blitzer)
   4. Magnolia (Stadium Blitzer)
   5. Boil My Strings (Stadium Blitzer)
   6. County Orange (Ghosts Of Hallelujah)
   7. Rugged Roses (Ghosts Of Hallelujah)
   8. O Rings (Bolsa de Agua)
   9. Flamenco Cabaret (Bolsa de Agua)
   10. Illegal Oyster (Blood Of The Ram)
   11. Blood Of The Ram (Blood Of The Ram)
   12. Our Patriarch (Heavy Ornamentals)
   13. Steeple Full Of Swallows (Noble Creatures)

Paulie W

Fully

Umm, where's the rest of that Chumbawumba mix?

Tracy 2112

Quote from: sweatboard on Nov 20, 2012, 04:33 AM
fuuuuuuuck!!!!

THIS SUCKS BAD!!!!

I swear I tried, Rush is just awful.
It's like they are Trying to make it a point to jack off in the face of all rock music.   
I don't care how "skilled" they are, they just sound sterile and contrived to me.

In one word Rush is "WANKY" to me....at least at this point in my life.

It's OK. I have friends who say the same thing about Pearl Jam.
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

exist10z

Rush is sort of the exact opposite of Pearl Jam.  Never thought of it until just now.  Mental masturbation vs. emotional masturbation.
Sisyphus - Just rollin' that rock up the hill, and hoping it doesn't crush me on the way back down..

LeanneP

Before you dismiss Rush out of hand, you have to check out their DVDs. They always do a tonne of supplemental filming for their DVDs that is totally hilarious.

Early Rush like Tom Sawyer and Closer to the Heart are imprinted on my psyche, as a Canadian, tho I don't necessarily love their entire catalogue. But they are prog geniuses. It's like a rock version of jazz: a bit cerebral, a bit arty, a lot technically proficient. I wouldn't compare it to Pearl Jam or similar since that's like comparing apples and bananas. Of course, some people just don't like apples! 

I have really fond memories of guys in denim jackets with Rush patches, sporting long hair with grown out bangs and tight jeans ice skating to late 70s/early 80s prog rock at the local rec centre. It's a really Canadian kinda thing.
Babe, let's get one thing clear, there's much more stardust when you're near.

Ruckus

leanne, don't take ole Sweatboard seriously.  He prefers his music with either Eddie Vedder or crying men in it.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Tracy 2112

Quote from: LeanneP on Nov 20, 2012, 09:30 AM
Before you dismiss Rush out of hand, you have to check out their DVDs. They always do a tonne of supplemental filming for their DVDs that is totally hilarious.

Early Rush like Tom Sawyer and Closer to the Heart are imprinted on my psyche, as a Canadian, tho I don't necessarily love their entire catalogue. But they are prog geniuses. It's like a rock version of jazz: a bit cerebral, a bit arty, a lot technically proficient. I wouldn't compare it to Pearl Jam or similar since that's like comparing apples and bananas. Of course, some people just don't like apples! 

I have really fond memories of guys in denim jackets with Rush patches, sporting long hair with grown out bangs and tight jeans ice skating to late 70s/early 80s prog rock at the local rec centre. It's a really Canadian kinda thing.

The documentary Beyond the Lighted Stage left all my "arguing" about Rush in the past. To see so many credible musicians and celebrities talk about the heart and soul of the music didn't change my view of the band or myself, etc...it just made it all crystal clear how silly it is to argue about music.

Matt Stone puts it quite eloquently:

Matt Stone scenes in Rush. Beyond The Lighted Stage

exist10z

A favorite of mine, which I never see mentioned here (although Galaxie 500 gets a lot of love).

Luna

1. California All The Way
2. Ihop
3. 23 Minutes In Brussels
4. Anesthesia
5. Friendly Advice
6. Pup Tent
7. Sideshow By The Seashore
8. Time To Quit
9. Tiger Lily
10. Bonnie & Clyde
11. Beautiful View
12. Bewitched
13. Hedgehog

If you don't know Luna, do yourself a favor and download this mix right NOW!
Sisyphus - Just rollin' that rock up the hill, and hoping it doesn't crush me on the way back down..

Tracy 2112

Quote from: exist10z on Nov 20, 2012, 09:38 AM
A favorite of mine, which I never see mentioned here (although Galaxie 500 gets a lot of love).

Luna

2. Ihop
4. Anesthesia
5. Friendly Advice
6. Pup Tent
8. Time To Quit
9. Tiger Lily
10. Bonnie & Clyde
11. Beautiful View
12. Bewitched
13. Hedgehog

I got to see them here about 6 years ago and it was amazing; they did a pretty extended Friendly Advice that was worth the price of admission alone.

Crispy

A Mostly Early and Noisy Flaming Lips Mix: 

1. Turn It On   (Transmissions from the Satellite Heart)
2. Gingerale Afternoon [The Astrology of a Saturday]   (Hit to Death in the Future Head)
3. Unconsciously Screamin'   (In a Priest Driven Ambulance)
4. Everything's Exploding   (Oh My Gawd!!)
5. One Million Billionth Of A Millisecond On A Sunday Morning   (Oh My Gawd!!)
6. Mountain Side    (In a Priest Driven Ambulance)
7. Psychiatric Explorations of the Fetus With Needles   (Clouds Taste Metallic)
8. Superhumans    (Transmissions from the Satellite Heart)
9. Frogs   (Hit to Death in the Future Head)
10. The Ceiling Is Bendin'   (Oh My Gawd!!)
11. Lightning Strikes the Postman   (Clouds Taste Metallic)
12. Pompeii Am Götterdämmerung   (At War with the Mystics)
13. Guy Who Got a Headache and Accidentally Saves the World   (Clouds Taste Metallic)

I also have a "Mostly Later and Nice Flaming Lips Mix," but it's 18 tunes and I can't take enough out. Why 13, sweatboard, why?

Love that Luna stuff, exist10z.
"...the Bear, Heartbreakin' Man, Evelyn...I think we all know those."

Tracy 2112

Brian Eno (non ambient)

1. Needle in the Camel's Eye
2. Burning Airlines Give You So Much More
3. Lay My Love (w/John Cale)
4. One Word (w/John Cale)
5. St. Elmo's Fire
6. Mother Whale Eyeless
7. The Paw Paw Negro Blow Torch
8. Spinning Away (w/John Cale)
9. 3rd Uncle
10. Golden Hours
11. The True Wheel
12. Been There Done That (w/John Cale)
13. Everything Merges with the Night

Ruckus

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Nov 20, 2012, 09:38 AM
Quote from: LeanneP on Nov 20, 2012, 09:30 AM

The documentary Beyond the Lighted Stage left all my "arguing" about Rush in the past. To see so many credible musicians and celebrities talk about the heart and soul of the music didn't change my view of the band or myself, etc...it just made it all crystal clear how silly it is to argue about music.

Matt Stone puts it quite eloquently:

Matt Stone scenes in Rush. Beyond The Lighted Stage
Almost as eloquent as fat Sebastian Bach

Ruckus

Like BH said this is a real neat thread.  Hopefully I can get around to putting a couple together on the ole Spotify

iLikeBeer

Quote from: exist10z on Nov 20, 2012, 09:38 AM

Luna

2. Ihop
4. Anesthesia
5. Friendly Advice
6. Pup Tent
8. Time To Quit
9. Tiger Lily
10. Bonnie & Clyde
11. Beautiful View
12. Bewitched
13. Hedgehog

You are so right exist!  I was debating on doing a Luna or Galaxie mix but settled on Guided By Voices.  Tough to narrow their collection down to 13 songs but here is my attempt at it:

Guided By Voices:

1.   Big Boring Wedding
2.   I Am A Scientist
3.   Now To War   
4.   Blimps Go 90
5.   Motor Away
6.   Official Ironman Rally Song
7.   Acorns &  Orioles
8.   Watch Me Jumpstart
9.   I Am A Tree
10. To Remake The Young Flyer
11. Run Wild
12. Liquid Indian
13. Don't Stop Now

Crispy

Quote from: Ruckus on Nov 20, 2012, 10:04 AM
Like BH said this is a real neat thread.  Hopefully I can get around to putting a couple together on the ole Spotify
Yeah, spotify! We need to see more of your playlists on there, Ruckus.
"...the Bear, Heartbreakin' Man, Evelyn...I think we all know those."

sweatboard

sweatboard

Quote from: exist10z on Nov 20, 2012, 09:17 AM
Rush is sort of the exact opposite of Pearl Jam.  Never thought of it until just now.  Mental masturbation vs. emotional masturbation.

This is pretty accurate.