Main Menu

Jazz!

Started by exist10z, Nov 23, 2012, 08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exist10z

Jazz music, discuss... :rolleyes:

No really, I am a really big fan.  Probably 5-10% of my overall music listening time is jazz.  Almost always the 'classics', from what I would say was the heyday of jazz, maybe 1930-1960.  I find it amazing musically, obviously has an improvisational element, skilled musicians, and some great tunes - which can actually be 'catchy', once you have listened to enough jazz and become familiar with the songs.

Some favorites of mine (which anyone who knows jazz will think, uh duh):

Miles Davis and John Coltrane of course.
Sonny Rollins
Stan Getz
Charlie Parker
Chat Baker

So does anyone like or have any suggestions for me?
Sisyphus - Just rollin' that rock up the hill, and hoping it doesn't crush me on the way back down..

Jaimoe

Love jazz, well, hard bop and vocal jazz and don't mind occasional experimental. I lean towards guitarists since I've been fighting an uphill battle with my axes for over 25 years.

Some favs of mine are:

Django Reinhardt
Lenny Breau (check out this late great cult guitar master immediately); he's one of my all-time favourite musicians
John Coltrane
Dizzy Gillespie
McCoy Tyner
Charles Mingus
Oscar Peterson
Miles Davis, pre '80s
The Rat Pack
James Blood Ulmer
Bobby Darin
Wes Montgomery
Charlie Christian
The Dorsey Brothers

Mr. White

I can get into this topic! I have quite a bit of jazz and jazz-rock fusion.

Here is a quick list of some of my favorites:

Miles Davis
John Coltrane
John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra (and all his solo stuff)
Pat Metheny
Return To Forever
Chick Corea
Al Di Meola
Thelonious Monk
Keith Jarrett
Maynard Ferguson
Lee Ritenour
Larry Carlton
Jean-Luc Ponty
Bireli Lagrene
Wynton Marsalis
David Sanborn
Charles Mingus
Kenny Burrell
John Scofield
Stanley Jordan
Stanley Clarke
Mark Isham
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Tracy 2112

Jazz listener for awhile now. Been digging currently Wynton Marsalis' 3 volume series Soul Gestures in Southern Blue from 1991.
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Ruckus

Hey Jaimoe.  I'm surprised you don't list Kenny Burrell like Mr. White did.  I figured if you're a hard bop/post bop and guitar fan he'd find a place on your list.  I always found his playing to be so smooth, lyrical and soulful.

I don't listen to much jazz these days but Miles, Trane, and Mingus are easily my favorites.

There's another jazz thread in here somewhere where we briefly discussed Mingus.  I spun Ahh Umm a few months ago and it felt great to revisit the genius depth of the Mingus mind
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

exist10z

Thanks for all the suggestions, I've been meaning to expand my repertoire a bit and this gives me a place to start.  Some of the suggestions I am aware of and have been meaning to listen to, but others are completely new to me.
Sisyphus - Just rollin' that rock up the hill, and hoping it doesn't crush me on the way back down..

Mr. White

Quote from: Ruckus on Nov 24, 2012, 09:42 AM
Hey Jaimoe.  I'm surprised you don't list Kenny Burrell like Mr. White did.  I figured if you're a hard bop/post bop and guitar fan he'd find a place on your list.  I always found his playing to be so smooth, lyrical and soulful.

I don't listen to much jazz these days but Miles, Trane, and Mingus are easily my favorites.

There's another jazz thread in here somewhere where we briefly discussed Mingus.  I spun Ahh Umm a few months ago and it felt great to revisit the genius depth of the Mingus mind

I went looking on YouTube for some good quality recordings of Kenny Burrell and found this great album he made with John Coltrane!

Kenny Burrell & John Coltrane (Full Album).wmv

I got to see Kenny live in a small club on the top floor of the Somerset House Inn in San Diego, California back in 1989. It was a great show as well. Here is a video of him the year after I saw him (1990).

Kenny Burrell Trio - Jeannine (1990)

YimYodd

Yeah, Jazz is where it all starts.
Good comments from all posts above.
I like the early traditional stuff above all else.
  King Oliver
  Louis Armstrong
  Bix Biederbeck
  Hoagy Carmichael
  Sydney Bichet
  Dorsey Bros.
  Duke Ellington
  Dinah Washington
  Dizzy Gillespie
  Thelonious Monk
  Charlie Mingus
  Miles Davis
  Sun Ra
  Roland Kirk
  Dirty Dozen Brass Band
  PHJB
  Trombone Shorty
  Bonerama
  Kermit Ruffin

HBO Series  Treme highlights alot of   NewOrleans bands ( not all jazz) throughout the storylines.
My heart pumps away for your loving touch, My Sweet Juls. You know I never, I Never Could Get Enough

Ruckus

Thanks to this thread I'm spinning Jazz at Massey Hall as I type.

That Burrell/Trane album is real good Mr. White.  I used to listen to that CD a lot a decade or so ago.  While the two's chemistry or lack thereof seems disjointed, the playing is still excellent (particularly Burrell's) and hearing the two trade solos on the same record is good enough for me. :beer:

Jaimoe

Didn't think of him. I still haven't delved into his catalogue yet. I'll throw Joe Pass onto my list too. I used to love Al Di Meola when I was a young'un back in the early '80s, but I see him now as sooo fucking cheesy. Fast as fuck, but I can't listen to him anymore.

Ruckus

Quote from: Jaimoe on Nov 24, 2012, 07:26 PM

Didn't think of him. I still haven't delved into his catalogue yet. I'll throw Joe Pass onto my list too. I used to love Al Di Meola when I was a young'un back in the early '80s, but I see him now as sooo fucking cheesy. Fast as fuck, but I can't listen to him anymore.
Hmmm, I wonder if you'll find his playing too clean and straight forward? 
I remember you recommending Lenny Breau to me a couple of years back.  I knew nothing of him then and still very little now other than what I youtubed then.  Is there an album that's a must?

Jaimoe

Quote from: Ruckus on Nov 24, 2012, 07:33 PM
Quote from: Jaimoe on Nov 24, 2012, 07:26 PM

Hmmm, I wonder if you'll find his playing too clean and straight forward? 
I remember you recommending Lenny Breau to me a couple of years back.  I knew nothing of him then and still very little now other than what I youtubed then.  Is there an album that's a must?

I like clean. I like dirty. I just hate slick clean and overproduced shit (see Diana Krall, Kenny G, some Pat Metheny etc...)

There's several great Lenny Breau albums, thanks in part to his friend and archivist, Randy Bachman, of BTO and The Guess Who fame. You wont' find much video of him, but there is still some cool stuff on YouTube. He used to host his own CBC show when he was quite young. He was a master even then - more of a country picker in his early days. He's seen as a tragic figure in jazz. Probably murdered, an addict, but had a heart of gold and a talent to match it. This link and check out their recommendations, and I think you could get Live at Bourbon Street without even hearing a single note. Breau is the only guitarist ever to make me giddy and tear-up in the same song.

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/lenny-breau-mn0000242969

AMG's Live at Bourbon Street review:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/live-at-bourbon-st-mw0000179768

Mr. White

Mr. White

Ruckus

RIP Dave Brubeck.  While I only own two Brubeck LP's, I've probably spun Time Out as much as almost any other record in my jazz collection.

Also was thinking about checking out Ben Goldberg's Unfold Ordinary mind this Saturday. 

And for you NYers, Nels Cline is sitting in with MMW at the Blue Note next Wednesday.  I don't know if it's sold out but that sounds pretty bad ass!

Mr. White

YimYodd

I got turned on to Roland Kirk while checking out Buddy Guy

Buddy Guy, Jack Bruce, Roland Kirk, Jimmy Hope & Ron Burton Supershow Live, Uk 1969 Stormy Monday Blues

RAHSAAN ROLAND KIRK - Primitive Ohio (1969)

Interesting dude, kinda out there but did alot of more traditional stuff too.
if ya don't dig this performance' look further.
My heart pumps away for your loving touch, My Sweet Juls. You know I never, I Never Could Get Enough

Mr. White

Quote from: exist10z on Nov 23, 2012, 08:45 PM

No really, I am a really big fan.  Probably 5-10% of my overall music listening time is jazz.  Almost always the 'classics', from what I would say was the heyday of jazz, maybe 1930-1960.  I find it amazing musically, obviously has an improvisational element, skilled musicians, and some great tunes - which can actually be 'catchy', once you have listened to enough jazz and become familiar with the songs.

Sonny Rollins
Stan Getz
Charlie Parker
Chat Baker

I just wanted to keep this thread going a bit more. It was started by Erik (exist10z), and I really enjoyed reading/listening/sharing our love of Jazz music.

This one is for you Erik.

In A Silent Way - Miles Davis [FULL ALBUM] [HQ]

YimYodd

Quote from: Mr. White on Jan 16, 2013, 03:12 PM
Quote from: exist10z on Nov 23, 2012, 08:45 PM

Sonny Rollins
Stan Getz
Charlie Parker
Chat Baker

I just wanted to keep this thread going a bit more. It was started by Erik (exist10z), and I really enjoyed reading/listening/sharing our love of Jazz music.

This one is for you Erik.

Miles Davis - In A Silent Way [Full Album HD]

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mr. White

My brother and I went to see the Pat Metheny Unity Group at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville last night (2/16/2014). It was our second time to see him in concert (got to see him in 2007 at the Brown Theatre in Louisville, dead center on the 2nd row!) This time, we were around 8 rows back on the right side. Pat's new album had just come out the week before, so we hadn't heard any of it other than the samples on the Interweb where you could purchase it. I decided to wait to get the vinyl at the show. It included a CD. The show was really good. He had no opening act, and the concert lasted 2 hours and 40 minutes. They were real strict on no recording, but I did manage to get these two songs from the encore (we moved up to the 3rd row after some people left before the first encore). We also got a couple of picks!

Here are the two encore songs I was able to record. The video isn't that great. I had my camera on my leg, pointing up at the stage, so there were heads and stage equipment in the way.

Pat Metheny Unity Group - Are You Going With Me? - Ryman Auditorium - Nashville - 2/16/2014

Pat Metheny Unity Group - Final Encore Solo Medley - Ryman Auditorium - Nashville - 2/16/2014