Circuital deluxe edition

Started by rkwedge, Nov 02, 2022, 01:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobRoy286

Wonderful, Freak Out, and SST demos are so awesome. I've always loved this album. Lots of underrated tracks. But I discovered the band in 2011 so that definitely shaped my opinion. 

diddy57

The organic version of You Wanna Freak Out is easily the best of the bunch IMO. The banjo stands out much more than the finished track and it includes that little banjo solo at the end, which is just terrific. The more laidback approach just seems to fit the song.

Nikkogino

Quote from: diddy57 on Dec 14, 2022, 02:33 PMThe organic version of You Wanna Freak Out is easily the best of the bunch IMO. The banjo stands out much more than the finished track and it includes that little banjo solo at the end, which is just terrific. The more laidback approach just seems to fit the song.
I think leaving the solo out was a mistake.  Would have given that song a little more character.

Brother Beck

The demo versions of "You Wanna Freak Out" and "First Light" are really cool to hear and offer a peak at a slightly different path this album could have gone down, one a little more reminiscent of their sound in the early days.  They are definitely a bit rougher-sounding, but I like both songs a little better before the really interesting bits were sanded off.

I can't lie though, I am very bummed about no full-band version of "Friends Again" on this deluxe reissue like the one that was available on the green Christmas-y vinyl single back in the day.  It is one of my favorite songs from the era, and the band did a killer version on stage around that time, one that absolutely blows the silly, goofy version available on the Outta My System Remixez thing out of the water.       

Hennings

Quote from: Brother Beck on Jan 02, 2023, 11:21 AMI can't lie though, I am very bummed about no full-band version of "Friends Again" on this deluxe reissue

Jim said that Friends Again had recently come back into their conscience and might rerecord it for a future album. I hope that was code for they did rerecord in the their last session.

Lucius

I haven't listened to it in a while because I'll be honest - I forget it exists but is the studio Friends Again any different to the way they play it live? Does it really need re-recording?

If anything... it's that beefed up jam of a demo and some of the more spicy live recordings of First Light that make me pine for a fresh studio take of a jacket song :evil:
it wouldn't be a party without you

Hennings

The "studio" version to me has always sounded very muddy.

Brother Beck

The studio version I was talking about is the readily-available version that is on the Outta My System Remixez y Friendz EP that runs 4:44.  It's always sounded kinda jokey to me.  There's a slightly longer (I believe recorded live on stage) version on this vinyl -->

where the whole band plays it more like a real song, and it's very, very, very good.

That's really exciting to hear that they've been thinking about the song again.  I'd love to get a great studio version of it. 

DaydreamNation

It sounded pretty awesome when they played in Louisville at the Halloween show, would love to get a studio version more like that
11/11/23  11/10/23  11/9/23  11/7/23  10/29/22  11/2/21  7/7/17  6/22/17  10/27/16  5/13/16  5/12/16

Hennings

I didn't realize the 45 was a different version than the Outta My System EP version.
The EP version sounds kind of live or demo'ish to me, I would love a proper studio version on an album.

sweatboard

Quote from: diddy57 on Dec 14, 2022, 02:33 PMThe organic version of You Wanna Freak Out is easily the best of the bunch IMO. The banjo stands out much more than the finished track and it includes that little banjo solo at the end, which is just terrific. The more laidback approach just seems to fit the song.

Man, I'm not listening until I can afford to buy the vinyl and listen to it in it's entirety but this just bumped it up in priority land. 
There's Still Time.........