A My Morning Jacket Christmas

Started by Mr. White, Dec 03, 2012, 10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tippitoes22

Agreed, "Christmas must be tonight", IS THE best Christmas song EVER, and I hate to call you on this one, but NO ONE comes close to the soulful sound of Rick Danko belting it out with Levon and Richard Manuel backing and harmonizing with him. PERIOD!
I'm referring to the version on The Band:A musical history(disc 5) or The Band's "Islands" album.
Obviously this is the version Jim and the boys are covering. MMJ does one hell of a job covering this song, and it's one of the BEST covers I've ever heard. But to say it's better than THE BAND is false. Sorry my friend and with all due respect, but there's a reason they are called THE BAND...
Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do, sometimes won't know how to take him

spence

Ha, yeah that was an aggressive statement.  That was whiskey spence talking.  Re-wetting drops is actually the best Christmas song ever.

Mr. White

Quote from: tippitoes22 on Dec 07, 2013, 06:33 AM
Agreed, "Christmas must be tonight", IS THE best Christmas song EVER, and I hate to call you on this one, but NO ONE comes close to the soulful sound of Rick Danko belting it out with Levon and Richard Manuel backing and harmonizing with him. PERIOD!
I'm referring to the version on The Band:A musical history(disc 5) or The Band's "Islands" album.
Obviously this is the version Jim and the boys are covering. MMJ does one hell of a job covering this song, and it's one of the BEST covers I've ever heard. But to say it's better than THE BAND is false. Sorry my friend and with all due respect, but there's a reason they are called THE BAND...

I found these on quickhick's YouTube channel.

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Mr. White

Here is Jim singing "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" from the National Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony back on December 9, 2010. I had recorded it off of our local KET (PBS) station out of Louisville and transferred it to a DVD. I never knew how to save anything from a DVD to my computer and then upload it to YouTube until I tried all last night. I finally got a sort of decent copy of it uploaded a few minutes ago. I usually only upload things I have recorded in person (with the exception of the Jim James Austin City Limits live stream), so I am keeping this "Unlisted" on YouTube. It is for Forum people only. I have never found another copy of it on YouTube, so I thought I should try my best to get it posted. When looking for the exact date a few minutes ago, I stumbled on the entire one hour show on C-SPAN from their video library. However, the video quality of their version isn't all that great. I am including the link to it, if anybody wants to watch the whole thing. Jim comes on at a little past the 20 minute mark. I only uploaded Jim's song. I hope you all enjoy this short but sweet song from the man.

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/ChristmasTreeLi

GO4IT

Quote from: Mr. White on Dec 12, 2013, 09:16 PM
Here is Jim singing "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" from the National Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony back on December 9, 2010. I had recorded it off of our local KET (PBS) station out of Louisville and transferred it to a DVD. I never knew how to save anything from a DVD to my computer and then upload it to YouTube until I tried all last night. I finally got a sort of decent copy of it uploaded a few minutes ago. I usually only upload things I have recorded in person (with the exception of the Jim James Austin City Limits live stream), so I am keeping this "Unlisted" on YouTube. It is for Forum people only. I have never found another copy of it on YouTube, so I thought I should try my best to get it posted. When looking for the exact date a few minutes ago, I stumbled on the entire one hour show on C-SPAN from their video library. However, the video quality of their version isn't all that great. I am including the link to it, if anybody wants to watch the whole thing. Jim comes on at a little past the 20 minute mark. I only uploaded Jim's song. I hope you all enjoy this short but sweet song from the man.

Jim - Christmas 2010

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/ChristmasTreeLi
Thanks for posting this video, a real pleasure to listen to tonight.  It sounds better than what I remember in the moment.  Pretty funny at  the beginning of the video, the flute lady checking Jim out like, geez, we don't see many like you on the base.  Obama seemed to be getting down with it also.

Between the iTunes in 2011 and the WFPK session in 2001, MMJ has X-Mas covered IMHO.

Have a wonderful holiday season, all :thumbsup: :beer:

Fully

I've never seen that before. Thanks for sharing.

Mr. White

Quote from: Fully on Dec 15, 2013, 01:22 AM
I've never seen that before. Thanks for sharing.

Jim - Christmas 2010
No problem. Like I said when I posted this, I never could find it anywhere on YouTube. It was probably only broadcast on PBS stations (once) and on C-SPAN, so if you didn't catch it, you didn't get to see it. It took me forever to figure out how to get it off of my home-made DVD and up on YouTube using Nero. I don't think I did it the best way because it won't play back on Real Player (my usual default player). Quick Time was able to play it back. When it finished uploading to YouTube, they sent me some sort of instructions on how to improve the video quality, but I couldn't quite figure it out. Maybe someday I'll get better at it. Also, I think I did do a pretty good job editing it down to just the introduction and the song itself. I didn't want the comments that came after by the then current "Miss America" because she obviously didn't have any idea who Jim was. When the song was over, she said, "Hi. Thank you James. You were wonderful."

jonmayo15

I'm glad Jim sings the original WWII-era lyrics of "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" than the re-written late 50s version. Sets a much more somber, longing mood.

tippitoes22

Quote from: spence on Dec 07, 2013, 10:22 AM
Ha, yeah that was an aggressive statement.  That was whiskey spence talking.  Re-wetting drops is actually the best Christmas song ever.

Hate to question your "best" Christmas song again, whiskey spence, however the actual, for real, hands down, no doubt about it, best Christmas song ever is

Tom Waits doing "Silent Night> A Christmas card from a hooker in Minneapolis">"Silent Night  (Austin city limits 1978)

Hands down the best. It's a thing of aching beauty.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays, roll callers. Sleep tight.
Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do, sometimes won't know how to take him

Mr. White

dookie shoot bandit

The kids get pooch jr. prepared for Xmas!!!

dookie shoot bandit

"Christmas must be tonight" always gets me in the holiday spirit!

HardNightConformist

Merry Christmas to all!

Hope everyone who asked for MMJ paraphernalia got what they asked for!

I can now say I'm a proud owner of At Dawn on vinyl. My mom can't fathom why it cost $100 but I'm glad she didn't underestimate my love for this band lol.

jcc0065

Quote from: HardNightConformist on Dec 25, 2015, 11:11 PM
Merry Christmas to all!

I can now say I'm a proud owner of At Dawn on vinyl. My mom can't fathom why it cost $100 but I'm glad she didn't underestimate my love for this band lol.

was surprised with Z, it still moves, and the halloween edition chocolate and ice on vinyl....mom knows whats up!!!

justbcuzido

Merry Christmas to all!

Holy cow, $100 for At Dawn these days? It doesn't help now but there are a few on discogs for $65 and up. That's crazy as I was able to get mine at my local shop still for $25 about a year ago.

Does anyone know if there's another pressing planned?

http://www.discogs.com/sell/release/2570266?ev=rb
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

HardNightConformist

Quote from: justbcuzido on Dec 26, 2015, 03:28 PM
Merry Christmas to all!

Holy cow, $100 for At Dawn these days? It doesn't help now but there are a few on discogs for $65 and up. That's crazy as I was able to get mine at my local shop still for $25 about a year ago.

Does anyone know if there's another pressing planned?

http://www.discogs.com/sell/release/2570266?ev=rb

The only problem is I live north of the border. $65=$90. Factor in tax and shipping costs and getting anything online is crazy expensive.

oistheone

Anyone know how to download the bonus tracks from the latest Fiasco pressing? The download code I got with the record is for a spicy compilation of some Spanish record label...

justbcuzido

Quote from: oistheone on Dec 29, 2015, 08:17 PM
Anyone know how to download the bonus tracks from the latest Fiasco pressing? The download code I got with the record is for a spicy compilation of some Spanish record label...

What are the bonus tracks supposed to be?
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

Mr. White

Quote from: justbcuzido on Dec 30, 2015, 10:22 AM
Quote from: oistheone on Dec 29, 2015, 08:17 PM

What are the bonus tracks supposed to be?

Mine downloaded with no problems.

The bonus tracks are:

"All This Joy Brings Different Feelings" - 2:57
"Xmas Song" - 2:16

Mr. White

Jim sang "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" at the 2010 National Christmas Tree Lighting in Washington, D.C.