Jack White Radio City

Started by paloozajam, Sep 27, 2012, 09:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paloozajam

anyone going to the sold out shows on saturday or sunday?

i have a single ticket in 1st Mezz - Row J - Seat 311 for 9/29...was hoping to trade for a 9/30 sunday ticket in 1st Mezz (or ORCH) if possible as i just received a global fest ticket from a friend. will also throw in a free global fest ticket if trade is for ORCH seat

walterfredo

Anyone go to this? Apparently JW had a little fit on Saturday and walked off stage after 45 minutes. Wonder if last nights show even happened.

Ruckus

Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

oistheone

Just another case of Jack White being Jack White. And I say that as a huge fan!

I'm not saying Jack did this to create press for himself on a night when Neil Young, the Black Keys and the Foo Fighters were playing a mega concert a few blocks away -- in the biggest media market on the planet, no less. But I'm not NOT saying that either.

joey_rogo

I don't care how cool you are or how popular your solo record is, this type of stuff pisses me off. :rolleyes:

bold992006

I saw him the night before in Boston and he put on an amazing show.   It is kind of puzzling.  All the years and all the bands I've seen him play in...I've never known him to pull anything like this...but shit happens.  I guess he came back the next night and put on a great show.

itrainmonkeys

Everyone will have a weird show or pissed off night.....I'd be disappointed in the show if I had spent money and attended (and then saw the second night's set list) but in the end I'm still a huge fan of Jack White.

paloozajam

Quote from: oistheone on Oct 01, 2012, 01:14 PM

I'm not saying Jack did this to create press for himself on a night when Neil Young, the Black Keys and the Foo Fighters were playing a mega concert a few blocks away -- in the biggest media market on the planet, no less. But I'm not NOT saying that either.

i was at the global fest and left after the black keys (before uncle neil)..took a cab and got to Radio City 15min before Jack White took the stage. then the debacle happened.

i got a call from RCMH's Guest Relations yesterday, in reply to my email asking for an explanation/refund, and were told that basically nothing is going to happen and theyre sorry

bold992006

Quote from: paloozajam on Oct 16, 2012, 06:00 PM
Quote from: oistheone on Oct 01, 2012, 01:14 PM

i was at the global fest and left after the black keys (before uncle neil)..took a cab and got to Radio City 15min before Jack White took the stage. then the debacle happened.

i got a call from RCMH's Guest Relations yesterday, in reply to my email asking for an explanation/refund, and were told that basically nothing is going to happen and theyre sorry

I think you got what you deserved for leaving and not seeing Neil Young.  No just kidding...but yeah I doubt they will do anything about it.  There is no guarantee for how long an artist plays for...so as far as they are concerned you got a show.  Sucks.

mahg33ta

was there ever a final conclusion as to what set Mr White off?   I read a few things the morning after the show but no-one seemed to know for sure.

oistheone

Quote from: mahg33ta on Oct 17, 2012, 01:22 PM
was there ever a final conclusion as to what set Mr White off?   I read a few things the morning after the show but no-one seemed to know for sure.

I'm sure this code of silence is the way it will stay. Not giving answers is a surefire way to preserve that mystique!

It really sucks for those who were there and got burned by a shorter-than-usual show, but I still say this was a stunt. Jack is one of the most business-savvy artists in the music industry today. He knows what he's doing. He knows a couple negative comments onstage and an abrupt ending to a show will get people talking. Will it offend some fans who were in attendance? Sure. But how many of those fans will NEVER go see a Jack White show again? Or never purchase a Jack White record again? Maybe a hundred? Maybe? Even if it is TWO THOUSAND FANS, do you think Jack or his team care?

Any publicity is good publicity. Anything to keep people talking. Do you think this "meltdown" would have happened in Tulsa? Columbus? Atlanta? Jack was in the media capital of the world and seized the opportunity.

And surely enough, Rolling Stone's top story the next day was "Jack's New York City Meltdown". The free mega concert that happened a few blocks away was buried. Jack White was the story in New York that weekend.

Jack is a fantastic songwriter and performer. And I am a HUGE fan. But as big an admirer as I am, I cannot deny that his career has been greatly aided by his clever manipulation of the media through stunts and gimmicks. And I surmise this event was no different.

Fully

Quote from: oistheone on Oct 17, 2012, 02:01 PM
Quote from: mahg33ta on Oct 17, 2012, 01:22 PM

I'm sure this code of silence is the way it will stay. Not giving answers is a surefire way to preserve that mystique!

It really sucks for those who were there and got burned by a shorter-than-usual show, but I still say this was a stunt. Jack is one of the most business-savvy artists in the music industry today. He knows what he's doing. He knows a couple negative comments onstage and an abrupt ending to a show will get people talking. Will it offend some fans who were in attendance? Sure. But how many of those fans will NEVER go see a Jack White show again? Or never purchase a Jack White record again? Maybe a hundred? Maybe? Even if it is TWO THOUSAND FANS, do you think Jack or his team care?

Any publicity is good publicity. Anything to keep people talking. Do you think this "meltdown" would have happened in Tulsa? Columbus? Atlanta? Jack was in the media capital of the world and seized the opportunity.

And surely enough, Rolling Stone's top story the next day was "Jack's New York City Meltdown". The free mega concert that happened a few blocks away was buried. Jack White was the story in New York that weekend.

Jack is a fantastic songwriter and performer. And I am a HUGE fan. But as big an admirer as I am, I cannot deny that his career has been greatly aided by his clever manipulation of the media through stunts and gimmicks. And I surmise this event was no different.
I agree with you, O. I was struck last week about how different of a vibe you get at a Jack White show than at other shows. There is something a little off-putting about it. I feel like all of his huckster stunts distract from his music which can easily stand alone without the all male and all female bands, the very specific color combinations of his bands, and everything else that he does to promote himself and his music. Truthfully, I feel insulted that he thinks that music lovers need this stuff to be persuaded to attend his shows. It's as if he thinks he has to build his own myth through all of these antics. In fact, I think it's more of a distraction.

itrainmonkeys

What other "stunts" are you guys referring to? Just curious.

Fully

Quote from: itrainmonkeys on Oct 17, 2012, 04:30 PM
From the way he controls how all of his bands dress, the colors used to promote them, Third Man Records recording artists - have you ever seen The Black Belles. He's obviously controlling them, the will the all male band or the all female band play this show question, the way he tries to look like he's from an earlier era, releasing how many copies of the water vinyl or whatever you call it via helium balloons. He's constantly doing stuff for promotion instead of letting his music speak for him.

bold992006

Quote from: Fully on Oct 17, 2012, 04:36 PM
Quote from: itrainmonkeys on Oct 17, 2012, 04:30 PM
From the way he controls how all of his bands dress, the colors used to promote them, Third Man Records recording artists - have you ever seen The Black Belles. He's obviously controlling them, the will the all male band or the all female band play this show question, the way he tries to look like he's from an earlier era, releasing how many copies of the water vinyl or whatever you call it via helium balloons. He's constantly doing stuff for promotion instead of letting his music speak for him.

all these things make him a genius.  He's the modern day Bob Dylan in that category.

oistheone

Not to mention the gimmick that started it all -- him and "sister" Meg!

I don't have a problem at all with these stunts. If anything, I respect him even MORE because of his media savvy. But when I see a story like "Jack White's Radio City Meltdown" or even the massive New York Times profile published earlier this year, I just have to laugh. It doesn't bother me, because the music is what I'm in this for. But the stories do what they're designed to do -- promote Jack, further his myth, and get people talking. The Radio City "meltdown" was just a case of Jack being Jack. He's done it before, and he's sure as hell going to do it again!

Prediction -- we're going to be seeing some real Jack gems leading up to the Grammy's!

oistheone

I find it funny that the day before the Grammy nominations are released, this Jack/Lady Gaga "controversy" is all over the front page of every music media outlet.

Just find it funny, that's all.

But hey, Jack up for album of the year, how about that?