12/28 HD Files!

Started by el_chode, Jan 05, 2013, 02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_chode

Live Downloads page claims they're being remixed still, and support says its the band's fault for not providing the mix? Are they punting or is the band just making the magic happen still?

I paid my clams and now I want to rock...IN HD!

Seriously though, I'd like to at least know what is going on and where to direct my over-valued indignant rage.
I'm surrounded by assholes

Mr. White

I'm a bit upset about this too. I was very happy the shows were up for downloading within 24 hours of the performance. That allowed me to listen to night 1 while reading all the great posts during night 2. However, I couldn't do that for night 3 because the FLAC-HD files weren't there. Well, 1 week later, they are still not there. Their Internet site still has the following note associated with 12/28/2012: PLEASE NOTE:  we are remixing the HD 24 Bit files and they will be available as soon as possible.  MP3, FLAC, and ALAC are available now. I wrote Livedownloads an e-mail last night asking for my money back. I know, I know, nobody ever gets their money back after having made a purchase on the Internet, but I told them that if I did get my money back, I would probably purchase the regular FLAC version of the show instead. This is a shame. I really wanted that show in FLAC-HD to start my high quality collection and for continuity sake.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

adastra

Guys, this was a trial run with a new delivery method and company, as well as the first time working with the hi-resolution format.  Initially, all seemed well, but when but put through  a bitscope it was discovered that the mix had unfortunately been downgraded to 16-bit, due to a malfunctioning mastering plugin.  Rather than leave people with files claiming to be something they are not, the best solution is to remix from the multi-track, which takes a considerable amount of time and effort. 

I can't tell you when this will happen, and I can't speak for nugz.net as far as refunds, but I would urge your patience and say that this is a small hiccup on the road to hopefully perfecting a system to be used often in the future.  Rest assured that the multi-track files exist in their native resolution and this is an entirely fixable problem. 

el_chode

Quote from: adastra on Jan 05, 2013, 03:42 PM
Guys, this was a trial run with a new delivery method and company, as well as the first time working with the hi-resolution format.  Initially, all seemed well, but when but put through  a bitscope it was discovered that the mix had unfortunately been downgraded to 16-bit, due to a malfunctioning mastering plugin.  Rather than leave people with files claiming to be something they are not, the best solution is to remix from the multi-track, which takes a considerable amount of time and effort. 

I can't tell you when this will happen, and I can't speak for nugz.net as far as refunds, but I would urge your patience and say that this is a small hiccup on the road to hopefully perfecting a system to be used often in the future.  Rest assured that the multi-track files exist in their native resolution and this is an entirely fixable problem.

I just wanted confirmation that it was what the dudes there said it was and not a "nugs says this, the band says that" situation..

HOWEVER, and I asked Nugs about this without getting a yes/no, it'd be nice if we could get the mp3s since (a) we paid for the HD's and (b) we're gonna just down-convert the HD's to mp3s for portability's sake when we aren't listening on our good stereos. It'd be a nice way to hold us over.

In fact, I wouldn't want a refund at all, I don't mind waiting for something good, but since I couldn't make the 12/28 show I'd like to hear it oh so very bad.

el_chode

Quote from: Mr. White on Jan 05, 2013, 03:24 PM
I'm a bit upset about this too. I was very happy the shows were up for downloading within 24 hours of the performance. That allowed me to listen to night 1 while reading all the great posts during night 2. However, I couldn't do that for night 3 because the FLAC-HD files weren't there. Well, 1 week later, they are still not there. Their Internet site still has the following note associated with 12/28/2012: PLEASE NOTE:  we are remixing the HD 24 Bit files and they will be available as soon as possible.  MP3, FLAC, and ALAC are available now. I wrote Livedownloads an e-mail last night asking for my money back. I know, I know, nobody ever gets their money back after having made a purchase on the Internet, but I told them that if I did get my money back, I would probably purchase the regular FLAC version of the show instead. This is a shame. I really wanted that show in FLAC-HD to start my high quality collection and for continuity sake.

I downloaded the HDs no problem for night three. Did I get a degraded copy? I don't have one of those newfangled awesomeoscopes. Mine were ALAC-HD though.

TOOGANS

Dear Fans,

As the band's FOH engineer, I can assure you that 100% of what Adastra has stated is true.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused to those who purchased HD files.

This is no fault of the MMJ members, management, or Nuggs.net.  It is simply a user error on my part due to a rogue digital plugin within my digital console showfile. That said, please be patient and understand that things of this nature do happen.  Also consider the entire band and crew worked tirelessly through the entire holiday season and some of us are sick (flu) and exhausted.

These are bootlegs (2 track live) with audience mics blended to taste. In order to render three 2 plus hour shows, it will take some time as the 2 tracks were mixed live in the moment down to 16bit. That said, all three nights will have to be re-rendered from live stems.  To remix the entire show from multi-track would take much expense and time and at the end of the day, it would not be a bootleg any longer but a live record. Yes, this would also be nice and very well may take place at some point in the future.

In the meantime, enjoy the 16 bit files. :smiley:

All the best,

Ryan

moflojo

yeah lets take it easy out there. The band and crew and everyone involved just completely put on nothing short of an amazing 3 nite run in PC and a NYE show. Some of the best shows Ive ever seen. I am so stoked they are recording and releasing these in such high quality and releasing them in the matter of a day or 2!? I feel lucky im getting these at all, and I get to download it with my ticket at no extra cost?! Um, Aweosme.

THANK YOU SO MUCH AND HAPPY NEW YEAR! I really hope you all continue to do this sort of thing for special shows, and hell, if you can swing it for all shows please do ;)

WELCOME HOME, TO 20-THIRSTEEN!

el_chode

Quote from: TOOGANS on Jan 05, 2013, 04:55 PM
Dear Fans,

As the band's FOH engineer, I can assure you that 100% of what Adastra has stated is true.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused to those who purchased HD files.

This is no fault of the MMJ members, management, or Nuggs.net.  It is simply a user error on my part due to a rogue digital plugin within my digital console showfile. That said, please be patient and understand that things of this nature do happen.  Also consider the entire band and crew worked tirelessly through the entire holiday season and some of us are sick (flu) and exhausted.

These are bootlegs (2 track live) with audience mics blended to taste. In order to render three 2 plus hour shows, it will take some time as the 2 tracks were mixed live in the moment down to 16bit. That said, all three nights will have to be re-rendered from live stems.  To remix the entire show from multi-track would take much expense and time and at the end of the day, it would not be a bootleg any longer but a live record. Yes, this would also be nice and very well may take place at some point in the future.

All the best,

Ryan

Never expected an actual explanation as to the process, so thanks.

Like I said, I really don't mind waiting for the HD files at all. But I'd like to hear the show without resorting to the black market, so I'm going to bug nugs for a free download of the MP3 to tide me over (I don't have a ticket to use for that)

el_chode

Quote from: moflojo on Jan 05, 2013, 06:52 PM
yeah lets take it easy out there. The band and crew and everyone involved just completely put on nothing short of an amazing 3 nite run in PC and a NYE show. Some of the best shows Ive ever seen. I am so stoked they are recording and releasing these in such high quality and releasing them in the matter of a day or 2!? I feel lucky im getting these at all, and I get to download it with my ticket at no extra cost?! Um, Aweosme.

THANK YOU SO MUCH AND HAPPY NEW YEAR! I really hope you all continue to do this sort of thing for special shows, and hell, if you can swing it for all shows please do ;)

WELCOME HOME, TO 20-THIRSTEEN!

There is a slight extra cost. I paid $18 for this recording.

Mr. White

Quote from: el_chode on Jan 05, 2013, 10:49 PM
Dear Fans,

All the best,

Ryan

Like I said, I really don't mind waiting for the HD files at all. But I'd like to hear the show without resorting to the black market, so I'm going to bug nugs for a free download of the MP3 to tide me over (I don't have a ticket to use for that)

Yes! Thanks again for the great explanation. I will wait for the HD versions, but it is hard to... I wonder if nugs would do that for us... It wouldn't cost them anything, and they are getting almost twice as much money for the HD versions we will get later...

Keep us informed el_chode.
Thanks

el_chode

Quote from: Mr. White on Jan 05, 2013, 10:57 PM
Quote from: el_chode on Jan 05, 2013, 10:49 PM
Dear Fans,

All the best,

Ryan

Yes! Thanks again for the great explanation. I will wait for the HD versions, but it is hard to... I wonder if nugs would do that for us... It wouldn't cost them anything, and they are getting almost twice as much money for the HD versions we will get later...

Keep us informed el_chode.
Thanks

First request was not addressed. No response yet for the second (but it is the weekend, so we'll see). I explained that I downconvert them anyway for my iPod and have the ALAC-HD for the archival purposes and for my home stereo, so I'm gettingit one way or another. Plus just keepin' a dude happy since I also have quite a few Phish downloads.

el_chode

And for the record, I'm not unhappy with the process and/or vendors. Nugs is fine, and maybe MMJ will work into the radio rotation now (I can only hope). And I'm happy for the options (MMJ is the only band I'll pay for the HD's though). Most importantly, I appreciate the steps everyone is taking to make it happen, and don't trudge through a flu for this. If your ears are clogged you can't hear the magic.

Mr. White

Hey el_chode (and anybody else who ordered the 12/28/12 FLAC-HD that still isn't ready yet), I just got home and found an e-mail in response to my e-mail asking for my money back from Livedownloads so I could go ahead and buy the FLAC version to listen to now. They responded by saying they were sorry but that they were still waiting on MMJ to send them the HD files. They gave me a FREE download code for the FLAC version I had planned on buying and said they would let me know when the FLAC-HD is available. I wrote them a response telling them how cool that was of them and how I was sure MMJ and all their fans would be using Livedownloads a lot for any and all future downloads they will be making available to us. That was very, very cool of them!

el_chode

I got it too! And sent a similar email and told them it wasn't so much an issue of "they suck" as much as "I CAAAANNNNNT WAAAAAIIIIIT ANYYYYMOOOOOORE"

Mr. White

I had been checking my e-mail for a notice that the 12/28 HD files were up and ready for download but never got one. I also had been checking the Livedownloads Interweb site almost daily to see if that message about not having them ready was still there or not. Well, I checked their Interweb site again today, and the message was gone! I then logged in, and I am in the process of downloading the FLAC-HD version of of the 12/28/2012 show at Port Chester as I type this!

If anybody else who ordered the HD version has been waiting...the wait is over!