RIP to a dear MMJ fan

Started by exist10z, Jan 07, 2013, 10:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

exist10z

Well tonight was rough. The days in general have been getting harder. Reality is settling in now. Tonight, I drove Erik's car for the first time since he passed. He of course had a MMJ cd playing. Even more touching, in the back seat were empty thermos containers, empty boxes of granola bars and empty boxes of Gatorade (the size boxes you get at costco). A few days before Xmas, Erik drove down to a section of Baltimore where homeless people often congregated. He went down on a cold day, gave out cups of hot coffee, granola bars, water, Gatorade and assorted snacks. That was just like him, giving to others during a season where most of us have more than we could ever need. We talked about the fact that he actually felt guilty feeling 'so good' about himself for doing it. He wanted it to be such a selfless act that he didn't want any benefit for his own part in it. For those that read my post, please keep Erik's spirit alive and give back to the homeless in some small way. he really wanted to dedicate the rest of his life to helping others and I will continue his legacy in that respect.

Love you, soulmate. May you be somewhere where love and music are surrounding you. Miss you with all my heart and soul.

Misti
Sisyphus - Just rollin' that rock up the hill, and hoping it doesn't crush me on the way back down..

GO4IT

That was a very touching story, Misti.

The more I hear about Erik, the more it's obvious what a selfless and incredible person he was.

Baltimore certainly has more than its share of poor and homeless and it was nice to hear that Erik was trying to do his part to ease the suffering.

My daughter who is still living with us just started a job as a counselor in inner city Baltimore schools (after finishing up school in LA - I understand that's a connection for you and Erik as well) so will also be helping some very needy people in that community.

Please feel free to post more stories about Erik here.  I know I'm not the only one who wishes we knew Erik better and is deeply affected by your loss.

sweatboard

Exactyl, I really wish I had a chance to know Erik better.  I love hearing stories about him.
There's Still Time.........

Penny Lane

i went through Erik's posts tonight, trying to gain more insight and wow, that guy knew his music, can't believe his love for Steely Dan and his knowledge of politics, books, etc.

his first post: 12/11 I think..

Hello All.  I have 'lurked' here for years, but have been spurred to sign in to help get the number to 100.  Silly, I know, but whatever, hopefully I can contribute to the forum in the future.

This will be my fourth MMJ show and my excitement level is building by the day.  Previous shows included - Philly in 2008?,  NYE at MSG in 2008 (on my 40th birthday, amazing!), and Outside Lands in SF last year.

I will be attending with a few friends, two of whom were at the NYE show in 2008 with me, and one who has never seen MMJ before (he's going to be blown away). Thanks to everyone who shares information here and hope everyone has a great night on Wednesday.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

exist10z

Quote from: Penny Lane on Jan 14, 2013, 10:00 PM
i went through Erik's posts tonight, trying to gain more insight and wow, that guy knew his music, can't believe his love for Steely Dan and his knowledge of politics, books, etc.

his first post: 12/11 I think..

Hello All.  I have 'lurked' here for years, but have been spurred to sign in to help get the number to 100.  Silly, I know, but whatever, hopefully I can contribute to the forum in the future.

This will be my fourth MMJ show and my excitement level is building by the day.  Previous shows included - Philly in 2008?,  NYE at MSG in 2008 (on my 40th birthday, amazing!), and Outside Lands in SF last year.

I will be attending with a few friends, two of whom were at the NYE show in 2008 with me, and one who has never seen MMJ before (he's going to be blown away). Thanks to everyone who shares information here and hope everyone has a great night on Wednesday.

I don't have the strength yet to read through all Erik's posts. But, yes, he sure did know his music and I'll miss all the talks we had about bands he discovered and, of course, the ones that always stayed close to his heart. Found his Roll Call hologram today and broke into tears. God, he loved MMJ. Thanks again to all of you for the comfort and support. I'm beyond fortunate to have met you all.

Best,
Misti
Sisyphus - Just rollin' that rock up the hill, and hoping it doesn't crush me on the way back down..

Misti

Was just reading through Erik "exist10z" posts. In between tears, found this one. It was a sincere thank you to all of you here:

Posted: Dec 19, 2012, 04:43 PM

"Thanks to the MMJ forum, I am now set! What great people here. I will be going to all three shows with my best and oldest friend (who luckily lives in NYC), bringing my sister Thursday night for her first Jacket show and my wife Saturday night for her first Jacket show. It doesn't get much better. Thanks again to all the forum members who helped to make this possible."

I miss him so much. Clearly he was as appreciative of all of you as I am now. Peace and Love to all of you.. Misti   :kiss:
Miss you beyond words, Erik... my best friend and soul mate for 22 years. You live on in the music.

johnnYYac

Thanks for finding that, Misty.  I'm glad you've signed on, too.  Just as your husband found out, this place is full of really cool and kind people.  That's why Erik fit in so well.  That's why you're here, too.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Misti

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jan 17, 2013, 11:21 PM
Thanks for finding that, Misty.  I'm glad you've signed on, too.  Just as your husband found out, this place is full of really cool and kind people.  That's why Erik fit in so well.  That's why you're here, too.

I've said it before and I can't say it enough.. you guys have been such an amazing support to me. I am forever grateful. You've treated me like family and the tributes to Erik have been so heartwarming.

Wish I knew all the real names behind the screen names on here (I've added many of you on FB but still not sure who-is-who on here). I know Erik definitely stayed in contact with many people through a fantasy football league here and still others through various ticket exchanges. This forum sure did mean a lot to him.. <3

Peace and Love to you all. xoxo
Miss you beyond words, Erik... my best friend and soul mate for 22 years. You live on in the music.

markcel

Misti,  Deepest condolences on your loss.  You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Misti

Quote from: markcel on Jan 28, 2013, 01:19 PM
Misti,  Deepest condolences on your loss.  You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Thank you for the kind words. This has to be the greatest group of fans I've ever had the pleasure to meet. Peace, love, music to you.

Best,
Misti

pattilovesmmj

Dear Misti,
I am very sorry for the loss of your wonderful husband.  I do not think that I chatted with him on here, but I believe anyone who belongs to this forum is a true music fan and wonderful human being.  May he rest with the Angels.
God's grace to you and yours...........

Patti

Misti

Quote from: pattilovesmmj on Feb 12, 2013, 09:40 AM
Dear Misti,
I am very sorry for the loss of your wonderful husband.  I do not think that I chatted with him on here, but I believe anyone who belongs to this forum is a true music fan and wonderful human being.  May he rest with the Angels.
God's grace to you and yours...........

Patti

Thank you, Patti. I appreciate the kind words and condolences. He loved this forum so much. The MMJ shows at the Wiltern and Port Chester really made his year.  Gives me solace that he had such wonderful experiences before he passed away. :'(

JerseyDan

I count my blessings every time I hear an MMJ song for the friends I have made through this band and the forum. Remember its always best to celebrate life over mourning death.

Thoughts, prayers, and hugs.

ericm

Quote from: JerseyDan on Feb 12, 2013, 12:14 PM
I count my blessings every time I hear an MMJ song for the friends I have made through this band and the forum. Remember its always best to celebrate life over mourning death.

Thoughts, prayers, and hugs.

Death affects everyone differently, and some people need to mourn before moving on. I don't agree that anything is "always" best for everyone. To each their own. All we can, and should do IMO,is be there for support if and when it's needed, and not project beliefs or tell people what's "best".
"Where's Jim going?"

APR

Misti.... I'm sure it will be difficult and very emotional, but I hope you get to a JJ show when he comes to your town.

korief

From a William Blake poem:

Can I see another's woe,
And not be in sorrow too?
Can I see another's grief,
And not seek for kind relief?

I hope that we forum folks are helping you bear some of the unbearable burden of your grief and loss.

I hope too that you will find kind relief from your sorrow and that you will hold Erik in your heart always.

Misti

In loving memory of Erik (exist10z), I'm going to see Jim James in Hollywood tonight. Bittersweet.. he would have been so excited for this show. From Port Chester to LA, Erik will live on in my heart and the music. Miss you. ♫

:drum:

YimYodd

Quote from: Misti on May 11, 2013, 05:35 PM
In loving memory of Erik (exist10z), I'm going to see Jim James in Hollywood tonight.

Misti
Wishing you a Wonderful experience at the show. I've been lucky enough to see 2 shows, the music is so spiritual and uplifting.
Here's to Erik :beer:!
My heart pumps away for your loving touch, My Sweet Juls. You know I never, I Never Could Get Enough

Misti

Quote from: YimYodd on May 11, 2013, 05:47 PM
Quote from: Misti on May 11, 2013, 05:35 PM
In loving memory of Erik (exist10z), I'm going to see Jim James in Hollywood tonight.

Misti
Wishing you a Wonderful experience at the show. I've been lucky enough to see 2 shows, the music is so spiritual and uplifting.
Here's to Erik :beer:!

Thank you!! xoxo  :beer:

Crispy

More thoughts from here to you and Erik. Music and love, on and on.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"