ROLL CALL - Jim James 4/27/13, Union Transfer, Philly

Started by Jeff Murray, Jan 30, 2013, 02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fully

Quote from: Penny Lane on Apr 29, 2013, 11:11 AM
Quote from: Fully on Apr 29, 2013, 10:56 AM

^This is one of the best pictures I've seen of this show. LOVE IT!!! :kiss: :kiss:

Thanks, Beth! not bad for an iphone and a shaky hand..lighting was great but the sound was terrible...many many issues..

I always think my pics are in focus and then when I put my glasses on, it's obvious that I was very mistaken. After losing them for a night at Port Chester, I hate to bring them with me to shows, but if I'm going to fancy myself a photographer or a texter, perhaps I should. Although I do think Crispy enjoys my typos a bit.

johnnYYac

As far as sound, I noticed problems in Boston, but we were at stage's edge. Video taken from the balcony had very good sound quality. I don't believe Ryan's mix is targeting the ears on the rail... a price we pay, I suppose, to be within finger's reach.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

adastra

It's all matter of the venue and their PA layout. Even in a nice club the front fills are usually less than ideal. Unfortunate as those in the front are the most pumped generally. On MMJ dates Ryan has considerably more control. As you said, in clubs it's usually the price one must pay for the privilege of finger touches.

Jeff Murray

Quote from: Ruckus on Apr 28, 2013, 04:17 PM
It was real cool to see a lot of old faces and meet some new.  I was running on fumes and jet lagged after over 24 hours of travel with little sleep but making the trip to Philly was definitely worth it.  I really enjoyed Jim's first set when he wasn't trying to finger people.  I don't get it.  Highlights were Know til Now and Dear One and easily the best part for me was the conclusion of All is Forgiven with the double time jungleish beat with the sax that reminded me of Prodigy meets Pharoah Sanders.  That was awesome!  The extended outro to God's Love got a little tedious for me and wish that it was tightened up or had more changes in it.

Bermuda Highway sounded great even with all the dudes screaming the song word for word behind me.  Hey at least they were all on key :beer:  I didn't hit the MOF tour but I enjoyed that arrangement of Master's Voice.  I escaped the pit after The Right Place knowing my kryptonite, Losin Yo' Head, was on its way.  That and Right Place I find to be pretty awful songs.  I enjoyed Changing World from afar and it was awesome!  Man do they rock it out. 

Some highs, some lows but all in all a damn fine time and good show.

Ha!  I thought the same thing about All Is Forgiven with the Prodigy sound... Jim's going from sweet soulful sounds to big beat techno.  Fun times!
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??

Jeff Murray

Quote from: johnnYYac on Apr 29, 2013, 12:57 PM
As far as sound, I noticed problems in Boston, but we were at stage's edge. Video taken from the balcony had very good sound quality. I don't believe Ryan's mix is targeting the ears on the rail... a price we pay, I suppose, to be within finger's reach.

For the this show I was on the rail in the balcony right over-top of the sound board and the sound was perfect to me.  I'm usually not one to grab the rail at GA shows so I tend to find a place to hang out near the soundboard as that is usually the sweet spot in venues. 

It was a lot fun watching them work the sound controls during All is Forgiven, he was tweeking knobs with as much passion as the band on stage.  At one point he had to pull the top half of the sound board back to normal position as he pushed it forward on the hinge while going off.  I'm glad they played the Union Transfer over the Electric Factory, much better acoustics at the UT.

Overall I was very impressed with Jim James portion of the show, the opener... not so much, to each their own, would have rather seen the choir that they had playing over the PA between sets as there was more energy to their sound.  I was glad we got a mix of the encores they have been playing, plus I think we got a longer encore than most.

Good seeing you Rob, hope you had plenty of Red Bulls with the long day you had!  Sorry I didn't get to meet up with everybody, we got to the venue just in time to use the early entry and had to secure our balcony rail spots.  Next stop Nashville!!
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??

FiddleCastro

Quote from: Jeff Murray on Apr 29, 2013, 01:47 PM
Quote from: johnnYYac on Apr 29, 2013, 12:57 PM

For the this show I was on the rail in the balcony right over-top of the sound board and the sound was perfect to me.  I'm usually not one to grab the rail at GA shows so I tend to find a place to hang out near the soundboard as that is usually the sweet spot in venues. 

It was a lot fun watching them work the sound controls during All is Forgiven, he was tweeking knobs with as much passion as the band on stage.  At one point he had to pull the top half of the sound board back to normal position as he pushed it forward on the hinge while going off.  I'm glad they played the Union Transfer over the Electric Factory, much better acoustics at the UT.

If I'm late to the show like I'm expecting tonight, I will probably stand by the sound board.  :cool:
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh