1906 SF earthquake aerial photo for Crispy & bluesky & everyone else

Started by danz, Feb 12, 2013, 12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danz

From wikipedia: "San Francisco lies in ruins on May 28, 1906, about six weeks after the 1906 San Francisco earthquake and fire. It was taken from a camera suspended on a kite, perhaps 1,000 feet above the city. It is one of the most well-known photographs of George R. Lawrence (see biography for more information about the technique used). The tower of the Ferry Building can be seen at the bay end of Market Street, which can be clearly seen all the way to the foothills of Twin Peaks. The water in the foreground is San Francisco Bay, with the Golden Gate to the right, rear. Note the absence of the Golden Gate Bridge and the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge, which had yet to be constructed."

Now, have a look one block south (left) of the ferry building.  On the southwest corner you will notice one of the few fully intact buildings and several fire engines around it.  This building was a brewery and the owner promised to provide the firefighters free brew for life if they kept the building from burning down like much of the rest of the city.

ericm

Sweet pic Danz. When I was out there in 2011 we stayed at The Fairmont, and if memory serves me right they said the building made it through the quake, but did sustain some fire damage that delayed it's opening until 07. Hard for me to tell exactly where it is in that pic, but I'm thinking in the right 1/4? Kinda looks like those dark shady areas might be Nob Hill?
"Where's Jim going?"

danz

pawpaw

That is a great pic Danz. Hey Eric, that large street that peels off to the right of Market a couple blocks from the bay is California (open up the pic in another window for full size). Near the top of the first hill (Nob Hill) on California is the Fairmont, which is the lone, stately looking survivor you can see in the picture.

I like seeing old aerial photos of the western half of the city, seeing the Richmond and Sunset areas being built out on the sand dunes.

and this is one of my favorite pictures of San Francisco:

"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

walterfredo

ericm

Thanks bbill. :beer:

I remember walking the halls downstairs at the Fairmont and seeing all those type of pics, and reading the articles about it's history. There  was one taken from right outside of it on top of Nob Hill after the quake and fires, and it was was the only building standing as far as you could see. Really cool to see it from another vantage point in this pic. Amazing history, and place.

Looking forward to coming back to SF again.
"Where's Jim going?"

bluesky

fantastic photo! when you look at this photo up close you can see the tents that were used by the us military to house refugees from the quake. just read up on this guy lawrence, he was quite an inventor and built the worlds  largest camera that weighed 1400 lbs. crazy. thanks dan!

ms. yvon

that pic that danz posted is amazing.  took a look at it in a larger size.  the detail is stunning. :shocked:
bbill, do you know when the pic of the sunset/richmond & park was taken?  i was trying to see if the Sutro Baths were there.
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

pawpaw

Quote from: ms. yvon on Mar 07, 2013, 01:13 AM
that pic that danz posted is amazing.  took a look at it in a larger size.  the detail is stunning. :shocked:
bbill, do you know when the pic of the sunset/richmond & park was taken?  i was trying to see if the Sutro Baths were there.

I would guess that the sunset picture was taken in the late 20s, early 30s. No bridge, but the sunset is getting to be pretty built up. Just a guess. The Sutro Baths are probably there, hiding around that most westward point in the upper left hand of the picture. There was an amusement park down across the great highway from Ocean Beach in the outer Richmond around that time that isn't showing up either. Picture's too small to really see that area clearly.

"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."