Jim James Soul SuperJam at Bonnaroo?

Started by alexzbik, Feb 19, 2013, 01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oistheone

The pre-show wait at Roo is awesome! Well, I mean, it sucks to wait. But if you meet some cool, like-minded people, time can really fly! Glad to hear that there will be plenty of us posting up nice and early for this once in a lifetime show. Strength in numbers!

itrainmonkeys

Quote from: oistheone on Feb 20, 2013, 05:40 PM
Glad to hear that there will be plenty of us posting up nice and early for this once in a lifetime show.

That's really what it comes down to, doesn't it? I mean....the Jim James solo set at Roo will be fantastic but nothing wildly different from the other shows he will play.

But this Superjam? Never going to see this again. I am so happy I chose to wait on the rail for the D'Angelo one last year. At the time we only knew Questlove was involved/curating it so it could have turned out worse. I'm not a diehard D'Angelo fan but the fact that it was his first show in years added to the buzz and I loved the songs they chose.

I can't wait to see who else will join in on this show AND what songs they choose.

scosby2

none of you know what waiting is about until you have done it with me...right beth? i wouldn't have it any other way...10.5 hours at the hangout is my all time long

scosby2

and no...i wouldn't admit that anywhere else in the world but here

scosby2

that may come off like i am an elitist waiter...i am not at all, i promise

we're all in it together anyway

Fully

scosby, you are the best wait-er there ever was. You did a great job holding Tubetop's and my spot for us so that we could go eat at Tarry Lodge, one of my favorite non-line-waiting or show moments of that week. scosby may show up when Centeroo opens on Saturday to get his spot for the Superjam unless Jim is playing elsewhere that day, which I'm guessing will be the case. Who can we imagine will join him besides Oates? I always feel weird just for saying Oates. It should be with Hall too. I wonder if they are still friends. I hope so. I'm glad Oates it there. We'll get to hear a Move On Up for sure. PHJB, of course. Maybe Calexico? Maybe who?

itrainmonkeys

Confirmed to be a late night set :)

They're not the only Music City talent on this year's bill: Part-time Nashvillian John Oates will be part of a "Superjam" with Jim James of southern rockers My Morning Jacket. James is planning a late-night jam inspired by classic soul music revues, according to Oates, who said that was "right up my alley."

"I think it's an 'Only at Bonnaroo (event)'" he said. "It's one of those things where it has to be the perfect storm of musicality and personal relationships."

Oates said he was excited to head to Bonnaroo, particularly after hearing raves from Hall & Oates bandmate Daryl Hall, who performed there in 2010.

"All I know is it's going to be late at night, and that means it's going to be pretty nuts, and I'm into nuts."

Source: http://blogs.tennessean.com/tunein/2013/02/19/bonnaroo-2013-brings-paul-mccartney-mumford-and-sons-more-to-manchester/

oistheone

Awesome find! That just gets me even MORE fired up. Modeled after classic soul revues?! Oh baby, sign me up!

Also, in regards to all-time stage campout records, my personal best was 8 hours for the Stripes at Roo in 2007. Totally worth it!

[Off-topic warning] But SPEAKING OF Roo and camping out for awesome spots -- in 2008, I spoke to two guys on THURSDAY NIGHT who had already posted up in front of an EMPTY Which Stage in order to be there front and center on the rail for MMJ the following night. I've always wondered -- are you guys on this board??? My friend and I shared a smoke with you guys and we talked about our MMJ album rankings. Camping out OVERNIGHT is insane -- but for the show that followed, that wait must have been SO WORTH IT!

itrainmonkeys

Quote from: oistheone on Feb 20, 2013, 10:04 PM
Awesome find! That just gets me even MORE fired up. Modeled after classic soul revues?! Oh baby, sign me up!

Also, in regards to all-time stage campout records, my personal best was 8 hours for the Stripes at Roo in 2007. Totally worth it!

I bet it was. I got there late and was so far back they could have had Jack and Meg impersonators on stage and I wouldn't have been able to see the difference. Great, great show but I was so far back that it feels like I wasn't even there lol.

touchingmept2

I could really use one of these now!!!!

http://youtu.be/pC5JmrxjXLg

Seriously, how long has it been since we've been blessed with one?
The time is near, to come forward with whatever killed your spark.

Fully

Quote from: touchingmept2 on Feb 20, 2013, 11:29 PM
I could really use one of these now!!!!

http://youtu.be/pC5JmrxjXLg

Seriously, how long has it been since we've been blessed with one?

I think he hurt his knee in San Francisco in December of 2011 doing it. That may be why he quit. If I'm right about that, and I could easily be wrong, it would explain why we don't get the knee slides any longer. I loved them too though. However, I've got a bad knee and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Plus then he wouldn't be able to do all the other awesome stuff he does on stage. But I miss it too, TMPT2.

Also, Itrainmonkeys, I lurk over at inforoo, but you are inforoo. If you find out anything good, please pass it on to us. I sometimes get overwhelmed when i visit over there, but it's the best place to go for all roo needs.

BigHerm

Any chance this gets a LN Which?

Just reading inforoo this seems to be one of the more anticipated sets.

scosby2

all of the superjams have always been in tents...but it is possible they throw us a curveball

itrainmonkeys

Inforoo has a lot of Jim James/MMJ fans so they're definitely excited about it. I do think it gets a tent though. Likely while 3 other amazing late nights are going on. Conflicts are going to suck but I'm not missing this set for anything. The biggest disappointing conflict I would have is if Wilco gets a late night (not likely but possible) and conflict with the Superjam. I'm willing to miss just about anything else without minding but I'd love to catch Wilco at Roo again.

EasyRyder

"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

Fully

I'm glad you're going to be there!!!!

EasyRyder

Quote from: Fully on Feb 21, 2013, 08:02 PM

ME TOO!!!   :thumbsup:  Been cooped up too long...(it will have been over a year since seeing Jim come Roo. Not to mention you fine folk!)... Ill be bringin' at least 2 vuygins.

So psyched for this...had the pleasure of seeing the Meters w/ Dr. John at my most recent Roo outing, and I must say sweet soul music and R&B belong on the farm.

scosby2

Quote from: EasyRyder on Feb 21, 2013, 09:19 PM

ME TOO!!!   :thumbsup:  Been cooped up too long...(it will have been over a year since seeing Jim come Roo. Not to mention you fine folk!)... Ill be bringin' at least 2 vuygins.

So psyched for this...had the pleasure of seeing the Meters w/ Dr. John at my most recent Roo outing, and I must say sweet soul music and R&B belong on the farm.

you just made my day...

can't wait to spend some quality time with my easy ryder

EasyRyder

Quote from: scosby2 on Feb 22, 2013, 02:03 PM
Quote from: EasyRyder on Feb 21, 2013, 09:19 PM

you just made my day...

can't wait to spend some quality time with my easy ryder

:kiss:

oistheone

Anyone else locking in tickets today?

Even now that the initial lineup excitement phase has passed, I can still confidently say that Roo has assembled one of the best lineups I've ever seen.