Started by MarkW, Feb 28, 2013, 05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e_wind

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on May 11, 2013, 01:05 PM
Quote from: ManNamedTruth on May 11, 2013, 03:35 AM
Quote from: e_wind on May 11, 2013, 01:41 AM
i dont understand this band at all

Ditto. They're overrated IMO.

Well, we chose them over Jim James this tour. Different strokes for different folks.

I think thats quite alright. I don't find the JJ tour to be all that thrilling. Once is enough. Twice was okay. I'm not the person who thinks JJ can do no wrong
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Jaimoe

Well, we chose them over Jim James this tour. Different strokes for different folks.

The National is a killer live band, whether folks like the music or not. I'm a casual fan, but loved the show I attended in 2010, and my seat was partially obstructed. They can hold their own with any great live band touring today.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Jaimoe on May 11, 2013, 04:25 PM

The National is a killer live band, whether folks like the music or not. I'm a casual fan, but loved the show I attended in 2010, and my seat was partially obstructed. They can hold their own with any great live band touring today.

We were fortunate enough to see them in the tiny, tiny Bottletree in Birmingham back in 2007 (we were literally 3 feet from them) and I have been a believer ever since.
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Ghosts_on_TV

Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

e_wind

im listening to the new album for the second time. same as older records... its not the music its his voice. so calm and dull
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: e_wind on May 11, 2013, 08:20 PM
im listening to the new album for the second time. same as older records... its not the music its his voice. so calm and dull

That's what i don't like about them as well. A mumbling monotone is how I would describe his voice. I only ever liked the song Mistaken for Strangers, I really did make a repeated effort to get into them and it just didn't work out.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Tracy 2112

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

iLikeBeer

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on May 12, 2013, 10:56 AM
The National - Abel (@ Spin)

I was going to post that one as well!  This is one of my favorite versions of this song!   :thumbsup:

bluesky

anyone going to next weeks brooklyn show? I'll be back and looking for a ticket

iLikeBeer

Quote from: bluesky on May 27, 2013, 08:33 PM

Seeing them a week and a half later in Columbus the night before they play Bonnaroo and I can't wait.  We'll be just getting back from vaca so this will be a nice way to ease slowly back into reality.   :cool:

Ob1jacobe

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on May 12, 2013, 06:53 AM
Quote from: e_wind on May 11, 2013, 08:20 PM

That's what i don't like about them as well. A mumbling monotone is how I would describe his voice. I only ever liked the song Mistaken for Strangers, I really did make a repeated effort to get into them and it just didn't work out.

This is part of what makes music so damn interesting.  I love Matt's voice and think he writes beautiful haunting songs with a good amount humor and wit.  TWFM is my album of the year.  But i know there have been bands that others rave about that i just can't get into. even after repeat listening.  LCD Soundsystem comes to mind.  Only time i get annoyed with an opinion is if no effort was put into it.

FiddleCastro

Quote from: bluesky on May 27, 2013, 08:33 PM

I'll be there!
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

mahg33ta

I saw the National twice in the last week.   Both times were day-of-show decisions- Mercury Lounge in NYC and Boston Calling Festival.   Both were great.   I don't count The National among my favorite bands, but every time I've seen them live I've really enjoyed the show.  I agree with the earlier poster that the wit and biting cleverness of the lyrics makes me want to dig into their songs.   I think the new album is excellent.   I also think they are a very polarizing group- many of my friends dislike them.   They are literally my wife's LEAST favorite band and I never play around the house.

bluesky

sweet rich! just gonna get a ticket when i'm in town. kyle you lucky dog seeing them at the Mecury!

iLikeBeer

Quote from: mahg33ta on May 29, 2013, 04:18 PMI also think they are a very polarizing group- many of my friends dislike them.   They are literally my wife's LEAST favorite band and I never play around the house.

I agree with the polarizing thing too.  Thankfully, my wife is amongst the crowd that digs them so I don't have to shun their music in my house.    :beer:

bluesky

hey Rich what are your seats like? i haven't been there yet and what's available at a decent price seem high up  :undecided:

mahg33ta

in case anyone sees this and cares, the National show tonight is streaming live on Sirius XM channel 35.   And you can sign up for a free 30 day trial instantly.   Quality (band and audio-wise) is great so far.

Ruckus

Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

bartel

saw them at the mann friday.. sensational even if they crowd wasn't.