MMJ Free Atlanta Show April 5, 2013?!?!

Started by craigtheowl, Mar 11, 2013, 10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smccannstephen

I can't believe this actually happened. I for one will be leaving after MMJ plays because I think Zac Brown should not be headlining this.

There has to be a reason as to why MMJ chose Atlanta and this concert series to play their "only" show... I mean I'm glad they chose ATL since I live here but still amazed this is happening.

scosby2

love it when I'm wrong...i guess the delay in the announcement was either due to contract issues or just the fact that this is to really try to open up the band to a newer crowd bc if you think about it there are gonna be tons and tons of people already in atlanta for the final four...what better way to get exposure to that crowd than a free show. so it's not like they need the band's fans flying in from all over the country to fill the venue up...hence just the two-three week notice...nice marketing strategy if you ask me...see you guys there

ericm

Quote from: smccannstephen on Mar 19, 2013, 04:09 PM
I can't believe this actually happened. I for one will be leaving after MMJ plays because I think Zac Brown should not be headlining this.

There has to be a reason as to why MMJ chose Atlanta and this concert series to play their "only" show... I mean I'm glad they chose ATL since I live here but still amazed this is happening.

Maybe Jim and Patrick have plans to stick around and are hoping see their hometown Cardinals in the Final Four.  :wink:

I'd give some serious thought to making the trip down for this, but I'm sure whatever rooms aren't already booked for the Final Four will either be in a shitty place or super $$$$$, maybe both!  :grin:

"Where's Jim going?"

Fully

Eric, I bet you could find something. ATL is huge with tons of hotels. They overbuilt back in the 90's when the Olympics where there. If you want to come, look into it. We'd love to see you!

Mr. White

Quote from: ericm on Mar 19, 2013, 07:40 PM
Quote from: smccannstephen on Mar 19, 2013, 04:09 PM

Maybe Jim and Patrick have plans to stick around and are hoping see their hometown Cardinals in the Final Four.  :wink: Don't forget Tom! He is also from the Commonwealth of Kentucky!

I'd give some serious thought to making the trip down for this, but I'm sure whatever rooms aren't already booked for the Final Four will either be in a shitty place or super $$$$$, maybe both!  :grin:

I will also be heading down to see My Morning Jacket play this very special FREE show! Also, I will be there to represent the Commonwealth of Kentucky, if all goes to plan and my car is in good working order. I guess I had better get that check engine light looked at soon.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

MMJCOBRA

*patiently waits for roll call sound check and roll call final four tickets*

Clarkwork

I found rooms are very hard to come by, unless you are staying further out.  Oh and we plan on leaving the concert after Jacket plays.  We hate Zac brown. 
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

Fully

I imagine that this will be a very different experience than attending a regular MMJ show. Having said that, I'm excited about it. It may be our one show for the year. The start time is 3pm and originally they only had three bands posted. I really hope this means the Jacket comes on by 6 and they get at least two hours or more to play. It would be great if we got work as to what time the band is scheduled to play. I'm getting there early no matter what. I just want to know how long I have to wait to get to see them.

subinai

status serigraph posted on FB that MMJ is one of the artists he is doing work for... soo either MMJ has more dates up their sleeves OR status is doing a poster for this show??

Clarkwork

I bet they do Cheech and Chong's Basketball Jones for the opener.
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

pattilovesmmj

I thought I read somewhere that MMJ were playing 3 west coast dates (Cali, Wash and Oregon)  in April or May??? Seemed sort of odd because they were intertwined with one of Jim's solo dates...so maybe it's just my imagination.  Does anyone else know?

Anyway, I agree with Fully.  I can't make the show in Atlanta, though I would totally dig going with my son who is in college and a huge basketball fan!  But I would only stay for MMJ.  I've heard good things about Zac, but not interested in staying for that.  Hope ya'll have a great time at the show  :smiley: But really, how can you not when it's MMJ?

smccannstephen

Zac Brown is from Atl so maybe thats a good reason why he is closing..

e_wind

Quote from: pattilovesmmj on Mar 20, 2013, 01:41 PM
I thought I read somewhere that MMJ were playing 3 west coast dates (Cali, Wash and Oregon)  in April or May??? Seemed sort of odd because they were intertwined with one of Jim's solo dates...so maybe it's just my imagination.  Does anyone else know?

I havent heard that, but I can't imagine. unless they intertwine with Jims west coast dates, so there isnt any extra traveling. Still though, I would think that would hurt Jims solo show turn outs.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Penny Lane

Quote from: e_wind on Mar 20, 2013, 02:08 PM
Quote from: pattilovesmmj on Mar 20, 2013, 01:41 PM

I havent heard that, but I can't imagine. unless they intertwine with Jims west coast dates, so there isnt any extra traveling. Still though, I would think that would hurt Jims solo show turn outs.

i think so, too..seems counter-productive
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Fully

Maybe it's next Year's Roll call poster

johnnYYac

[grainofsalt]I'm hearing there may be a few MMJ dates in the last quarter of 2013, with no further details.[/grainofsalt]
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

pattilovesmmj

I hope they do something on Halloween like maybe play KFC center again?

manonthemoon

So I just decided to make a quick trip of this.  Flying in early in the morning around 8 or so and flying out at 9:45 as I anticipate Jacket playing about 1.5 hours or so and am definately not staying for Zac Brown.  I just couldn't pass it up.  So now we just have to work on a meet up some place close by prior to the long wait in line to make sure theres a good spot close up.  Any thoughts? Probably could do a thread just on this. 
Alive or Just Breathing

manonthemoon

Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 20, 2013, 03:14 PM
[grainofsalt]I'm hearing there may be a few MMJ dates in the last quarter of 2013, with no further details.[/grainofsalt]

I really hope this is true, really need a fall trip to look forward to.
Alive or Just Breathing

Fully

Quote from: manonthemoon on Mar 20, 2013, 06:38 PM
So I just decided to make a quick trip of this.  Flying in early in the morning around 8 or so and flying out at 9:45 as I anticipate Jacket playing about 1.5 hours or so and am definately not staying for Zac Brown.  I just couldn't pass it up.  So now we just have to work on a meet up some place close by prior to the long wait in line to make sure theres a good spot close up.  Any thoughts? Probably could do a thread just on this.

I've been told that the following places are close by:
the Biergarten (2blocks away with a nearby Marta stop
Taco Mac (these last two are near the Omni/CNN Center with a Marta stop as well)
Park Bar

I don't know much about the area. It's been awhile since I've been there. I'm not really sure what time we'll get in town yet, but I imagine that we'll park at a Marta station and take the train in. I'm pretty sure scosby will want to line up ASAP, but he may allow us to eat. Pre-show anxiety runs high. Are you coming by yourself, Manonthemoon or will your lovely wife be with you?