AmericanaramA - Pier A - Hoboken, NJ 7/26/13

Started by Jenfarr, May 03, 2013, 01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

subinai

i liked the venue. the beer lines were ridiculous though.

ericm

Quote from: MMPJ6306 on Jul 27, 2013, 01:24 AM
And Jim and Jeff (with Warren Haynes) joined Dylan for The Weight! Great show!
Terrible crowd (let's not dwell on the negative).

Sound check- which us crazy lucky fans heard around 3:30 was Evil Urges, the Bottle, Waiting on a Friend!!!!!!!

A video taste here on jam base,but it has Peter Wolf joing them for The Weight, and not Warren. It's not the whole song, so I don't know if Warren joined in at some point?

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/119002/Hoboken-AmericanaramA-Warren-Haynes-Jams-With-Wilco-And-Guests-Galore
"Where's Jim going?"

ynwa

Overall, a great night.

Lined up super early, about 1:35, and there were about 15-20 people ahead of me.  Folks who bought the Dylan VIP pass ($250) were let in first, so they had the rail.  But Laura, br00ke, bluesky and I were 2nd and at times 3rd from the rail.  Oh, and some nice lady gave her rail spot to bluesky, who swapped out with br00ke a few times, for the MMJ set  :thumbsup:

I wasn't familiar with Ryan Bingham, but I really enjoyed his set.  He's got a really cool raspy southern tough sounding voice, and the band seemed to be having fun.  Definitely would see them again.

I was a little nervousness when MMJ opened with Circuital and then followed with First Light.  But then came TWTHS, which is one of my all-time faves.  I will never get tired of hearing that live.  And they kept building from there (see set list above :rolleyes:).  Steam Engine always kinda knocks the wind out of me a little, but in a good way, if that makes sense, so I was pretty much in heaven from there on.  And Don't Do It was insane!  Really great way to close the set.

I like every Wilco song I've ever heard, but for some unexplainable reason, I don't own any of their albums.  So while I couldn't name one song they played, I loved hearing them live and agree that a Wilco/MMJ show would be awesome (especially if they altered opening and headlining spots each night).  The All the Young Dudes collab was killer, and a nice surprise.

Also a nice surprise was how good Dylan was last night.  I'm a big fan and have seen him a bunch of times, so I knew it'd be hit or miss.  Luckily, it was the former; my friend is a massive Dylan fan (his son's middle name is Dylan) and even he was amazed at how good it was.  The biggest surprise of all, was that Jim stuck around to join the collab. on The Weight.  I thought for sure he'd have been well on his way to Newport by then.  So that was pretty special, I think.

I can't say much for the crowd, mainly because we retreated after MMJ.  Didn't need to be up close for Wilco or Dylan, and more personal space in a GA setting is always nice.  The place was packed, and the crowd was a mix of all ages.  The annoying ones were the same type that are always the annoying ones at shows, so no surprise there.  But the worst was some asshole who shouted, "Hey Jim, I'll buy you a new pair of pants," between MMJ MMJ songs, so it was very loud and Jim clearly would've heard it.  It was just so rude!

The venue was pretty cool, and once we were on the outskirts, there was a nice breeze off the river and a great view of the NYC skyline.

The vendor lines were outrageous, but, someone did say there was something like 14,000 people, so that explains it.  They stopped selling alcohol at 9 pm, which was about an hour and a half before the show ended.  I didn't know would be the case, and it would've been nice to sip a cold beer for the Dylan set, but I didn't look for signage or think to ask the vendors any time prior, so, probably my fault.  Oh well.

So yeah, great night overall.  Glad for the good weather.  Glad to have a good spot for MMJ.  Very glad about that set list.  And most of all, glad to hang with Laura, Br00ke and bluesky.  Some ladies just know how to rock out  :cool:
"You have to be odd to be number one." -- Dr. Seuss

Fully

I'm pretty sure that when Jim WANTS a new pair of pants, there are plenty of us who will be willing to assist him. That guy can get at the back of the line.As if any of us would allow that. He's our baby to dress, not his.

rjlemons

Quote from: Fully on Jul 27, 2013, 02:17 PM
I'm pretty sure that when Jim WANTS a new pair of pants, there are plenty of us who will be willing to assist him. That guy can get at the back of the line.As if any of us would allow that. He's our baby to dress, not his.

:grin:

rjlemons

Quote from: ericm on Jul 27, 2013, 12:38 PM
Quote from: MMPJ6306 on Jul 27, 2013, 01:24 AM
And Jim and Jeff (with Warren Haynes) joined Dylan for The Weight! Great show!
Terrible crowd (let's not dwell on the negative).

Sound check- which us crazy lucky fans heard around 3:30 was Evil Urges, the Bottle, Waiting on a Friend!!!!!!!

A video taste here on jam base,but it has Peter Wolf joing them for The Weight, and not Warren. It's not the whole song, so I don't know if Warren joined in at some point?

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/119002/Hoboken-AmericanaramA-Warren-Haynes-Jams-With-Wilco-And-Guests-Galore
Phenomenal! They really rocked Young Dudes.

And yeah, looks like it was Peter, not Warren, for the Weight based on this article.

http://www.jambands.com/news/2013/07/27/warren-haynes-peter-wolf-ian-hunter-and-more-surprise-wilco-bob-dylan-and-my-morning-jacket-in-new-jersey#.UfQO7I2sidk

ynwa

Quote from: Fully on Jul 27, 2013, 02:17 PM

EXACTLY.  If wearing holy pants doesn't bother Jim, why should it bother anyone else?  Maybe he's superstitious and those are his lucky pants...  Honestly, some people just don't think things through :rolleyes:
"You have to be odd to be number one." -- Dr. Seuss

Angelo

I'm not going to get into a long review here but a few things I want to mention:
1. There was absolutely no enforcement of no camera policy. There was a guy next to me that managed to record the highlights of Wilco's set. After their set I politely told him he needs to put them on YouTube.
2. Don't miss Ryan Bingham, he and his band are great. I've been a casual fan of his since the beginning but man oh man did he exceed my expectations. I would love to catch a full set of his. Get there early, he's well worth it.
3. Jacket's set was good not great. I wouldn't be upset if I don't see them play Wordless, Circuital, or VD for a while. The Bottle was cool to see, I wish I would've known who Brian was before the show as I would have appreciated his presence more.
4. Wilco stole the show. Just when I was wondering to myself if I needed to take a break from their shows they pull me back in by mixing up the setlists and just tearing shit up. Feed of Man was awesome. And the guests! MMJ, Ian Hunter, Warren Haynes, Bingham, the other dude who's name I forget, the stage was packed!
5. Dylan sounded good and his band better from back in the lawn, we retreated from being about 5 rows back as things there getting cramped. Glad I got to see him invite the guests out onstage.

Hope to see even more surprises in Camden tomorrow! That was a lot [size=78%]longer than I planned. [/size] :beer:

Angelo

So the dude I was standing next to already posted some vids on YouTube. I fail every time I try to link to YT but if you search the name Tom Florczak you'll find them.

Jenfarr

Quote from: Angelo on Jul 27, 2013, 11:33 PM
So the dude I was standing next to already posted some vids on YouTube. I fail every time I try to link to YT but if you search the name Tom Florczak you'll find them.

His video is the one I posted up thread, California Stars and All the Young Dudes. 

I hope someone took closer video of The Weight, as we already had retreated from the front at that point.

br00ke

i wrote a little review for another group so i'm just gonna repost it here ..

QuoteWe were up front for Ryan & MMJ, but it was aggressively crowded and decided to hang back for the remainder of the show. That decision later felt like a major mistake, but there was no way I could of stayed up there any longer than I did. Once we retreated, it felt like the Googa Mooga version of a concert .. insanely crowded and all drinks were sold together. Lines were incredibly long and you'd have to wait 15+ minutes just to get water (along with beer/sangria). I love Wilco and had never seen Bob before so I was definitely stoked for the rest of the show. The plan was to get drinks as we were insanely thirsty, go find a nice spot to sit towards the back, and then go get some food once Wilco started and lines diminished. The lines never did shorten. In fact, the lines were so bad that vendors on each side had lines going straight through the middle of the lawn. Here we are sitting on the grass and surrounded by people standing on top of us in line for tacos or whatever. Heading back to BK for a nice dinner sounded a lot better so that's what we did. Lame as it may be and as much as I hated to bolt on Wilco and completely miss Dylan, I don't regret the decision.

As for the music I did see, Ryan Bingham was awesome. I had never listened to any of his stuff before, but I'd be sure to see him again ... from Texas, nice slide guitar action, and most definitely easy on the eyes!

MMJ was fun and Brian Jackson guesting was pretty great. He's most known for his collaborations with Gil Scott-Heron, so The Bottle was perfect. A festival set for sure, but Brian made it special. They had sound checked Just Waiting On A Friend, which I have never seen them do before. Camden got that one last night.

When Wilco got going, I got very sad to not still be up front .. they sounded great and I was totally surprised with Waren coming out. Feed of a Man was prettttty awesome and I'd love to find that one for a 2nd listen. Now that I'm looking @ the setlist, I guess I did hear all of Wilco as they were playing California Stars as we headed out. We then we hung on the river walk thing checking out the Manhattan skyline while they played All The Young Dudes before making our final exit.

I've heard countless stories of people leaving before Bob, planned or unplanned. I actually did want to see him, but oh well.

so yeah, i hate that i left, but i couldn't see myself sitting there any longer despite the lovely company of liz, laura, and valerie.

MMPJ6306

any possibility of a tape turning up?!?! would love to hear those flute solos again...
(and/or wilco and dylan recordings?)
6/3/06, 10/22/10, 6/7/11 12/14, 7/28/12 8/17 12/27 12/28, 7/26/13 10/12, 7/31/15 11/27, 4/29/16