Eight years later... thoughts on Evil Urges

Started by johnnYYac, Jun 09, 2013, 11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smhoffmann02

I don't really get the EU hate at all.  Yes, it's a departure from the previous releases, but it's part of their journey as human beings and artists.  And, I'm grateful for it.
Give me a butt load of reverb on this one - just pile it on.

e_wind

Quote from: MMPJ6306 on Jun 27, 2013, 11:01 AM
Since the album's release I've felt that Remnants and Aluminum Park are the worst songs on the album. Some of the tracks are undeniably good, and tracks 5-9 are understandably divisive but I like them because they're catchy and played around with soft rock and other "cheesy" sounds MMJ hadn't gone into before (you could also make the argument that this anticipated a huge trend in indie rock and pop going on right now).

Whereas Remnants and Aluminum are just kind of bland rockers on the album to balance all the softer and weirder songs, and we know the band can do much better things in that genre.

remnants is an awesome song. EU is pretty mediocre for me. like chode said, the wire. great - shit - great. its a hell of alot better than that last album they dropped.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Fully

Remnants is the shit, and I wish they would play it more. I like EU more than many. If you look at it in the context of all their albums, it is weaker than most of them. However, if you let it stand by itself, and I think one should, then it is a solid album. One doesn't judge a Picasso based on his previous paintings. Stop saying it sucks because it departs from the narrative the other albums put forth. Having said that, Two Halves blows ass for me-not that blowing ass is always a bad thing.

Northern Neighbour

EU is a "meh" album.  There are some highlights (Smokin, Scream II), but it is also the album with the two of the worst songs the bands has produced - Librarian (boring and creepy in a stalker way) and Two Halves (absolutely dreadful).  Overall, it's not as memorable as the previous four releases due to the inconsistencies between the songs and the album is a cohesive one.  It lacks any sort of identity and seems more like a hodgepodge of songs.  The title track is a perfect example of the "meh"-ness of the album.

Fortunately, the band was able to outdo EU with Circuital, which IMO is the band's worst album.

FWIW, I'm a fan of Remnants and Aluminum Park.  They may not be pushing the boundaries with these two songs, but I like that they are straight out rock songs.

Fully

Quote from: Northern Neighbour on Jul 11, 2013, 02:26 PM
EU is a "meh" album.  There are some highlights (Smokin, Scream II), but it is also the album with the two of the worst songs the bands has produced - Librarian (boring and creepy in a stalker way) and Two Halves (absolutely dreadful).  Overall, it's not as memorable as the previous four releases due to the inconsistencies between the songs and the album is a cohesive one.  It lacks any sort of identity and seems more like a hodgepodge of songs.  The title track is a perfect example of the "meh"-ness of the album.

Fortunately, the band was able to outdo EU with Circuital, which IMO is the band's worst album.

FWIW, I'm a fan of Remnants and Aluminum Park.  They may not be pushing the boundaries with these two songs, but I like that they are straight out rock songs.

That last paragraph just redeemed you for wearing that eyeball shirt.

GO4IT

I agree with NN that it is not a cohesive album but it does have a lot of very good songs, nonetheless, that when worked into a live MMJ sound great.

So, if I'm at a 3-day run at Port Chester this Dec (please, dear God), I'll be loving a lot of the EU songs and not giving a rip what album they are on.

HardNightConformist

There's no such thing as a bad My Morning Jacket album.

I'm surprised Circuital isn't liked by some.

lpkell2145

I'm not saying I dislike this album, I just don't love it. Truth is I can't even listen to it straight through and I have tried, several times. However, I absolutely love the psychedelic journey that Touch Me Part 2 takes me on and Remnant rocks out in the best way!  Most of the other songs on this album for me are just...meh.

20 times I wish you'd understand...

dmooney99

some good songs, some great songs, some ok songs.  Not my favorite MMJ album but not my least favorite either.   :undecided:

e_wind

Quote from: HardNightConformist on Jul 23, 2013, 04:06 AM

Without getting into it too much... I think on a fan board you have to keep in perspective that were comparing MMJ albums to MMJ albums. So circuital isn't bad, but it's "bad" compared to ISM and what not.

Wilco, on the other hand, has no bad albums even in the realm of only wilco albums.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Ruckus

Quote from: e_wind on Aug 29, 2013, 04:42 PM

Without getting into it too much... I think on a fan board you have to keep in perspective that were comparing MMJ albums to MMJ albums. So circuital isn't bad, but it's "bad" compared to ISM and what not.

Wilco, on the other hand, has no bad albums even in the realm of only wilco albums.
Meh.  Except for a few tunes, I don't much care for SBS and S/T
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

FiddleCastro

Quote from: Ruckus on Aug 29, 2013, 11:57 PM
Quote from: e_wind on Aug 29, 2013, 04:42 PM

Meh.  Except for a few tunes, I don't much care for SBS and S/T

I like SBS but The Whole Love didn't really grab me at all.  Agreed on Wilco (The Album) though.
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

scosby2

To me, EU, has been the album I looked forward to the most...I got into the band after ISM came out and saw a couple local shows around home during both the ISM and Z era...I just wasn't the same person I was when EU came out. I loved music but I hadn't been to Bonnaroo yet and I hadn't really lived by myself where my own decisions mattered so much so the scosby all you guys know was more of a selfish prick who cared a lot about what other people thought rather than just going and having a good time no matter what people think. After Roo 06 I knew this was a band that was going to change my life so I really got into them and a lot more active in the forum community. I was on the street team for Birmingham that helped promote the album. The Monday night before Bonnaroo(where they played the Friday after EU came out) we had an album release party at The Bottletree in B-ham, the band sent us a bunch of stuff to hand out so we listened to the album then watched Okonokos...it was an awesome time.  All that being said, while EU will always hold a special place in my heart it is definitely a weaker album in terms of tunes that will stand the tests of time...I rank it just above Circuital at the bottom of the pile...still not a bad place to be in the whole grand scheme of things if you ask me

pattilovesmmj

Each time I listen to the whole Evil album, I love it more.   And for some reason, sec walkin makes me think of my Grandpa Barney - God rest his soul.  So I guess that's one of the reason I love it.

Mr. White

I just listened to it all the way through on my way home from work today (44 miles to home), and I do love this album as well. It's not MMJ's best, but it is the first one I bought since I was late getting into this most awesome of awesome bands.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

MrB

Like Johnny Y, I became a fan of MMJ around the time of this release. EU was my first in depth listening experience of MMJ, although I listened to Z prior, I never really was taken with the band before. I put EU in the context of other non MMJ releases that year, and while new bands like fleet foxes and Bon Iver were emerging, among others, EU stood out for it's accessibility and quirkiness. While Im Amazed gets a lot of flack, it is one of those songs that you can't help but reminisce back to some of the popular classic rock songs of the 70s. The power cords, lead fills, and melody of that song seemed familiar but left me wanting to hear more from the band and led to being taken for a ride through EU. It was an eclectic mix of weirdness, power rock, and acoustic flourishes that really left an impact on me. It made me want to dig into this band and ponder why I havent been listening to them before and mourn over all the great gigs I missed. (I live about 90 mins from Lville and could have seen them a few times in all their primitive wonder). So, my take is , if it wasn't for Im Amazed and this album, I probably wouldnt be a big fan of MMJ now, who are one of the few bands I would  repeatedly pay money to see and hear.

ajclements004

I believe Evil Urges is one of their best albums.  Being a huge fan of It Still Moves, it was very hard at first to accept the new style the band went for on this LP.  After seeing the band several times since its release, it has become apparent that this album truely captures the live sound they try to emulate on stage.  Jim's vocals are impeccable along with Carl's guitar work.  Another thing that strikes me about this release is that the band was in a good spot at this period of time and the album is more of a celebration for them.   

Highlights for me:

I'm Amazed
Thank You Too
Look At You
Librarian
Smokin' From Shootin'

All in all, My Morning Jacket is a band that likes to try new things with every release, but there are points in every album that have that twang that makes them the fucking awesome band they are. 

johnnYYac

BUMP!

Today is the 6 year anniversary of the release of Evil Urges.

With the long hiatus we are currently facing, has anyone revisited their 2008 release?  Have your thoughts evolved?  Best album?  Worst album? 

Have at it...
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

LB

Listened to it a lot cause I just became a MMJ fan. Then I got sick of it. Listening to it again along with their improved live performances of the album, I would have to say that I didn't give it as much credit as it deserved.

Right now, I don't know why, but I think EU>Circuital
no you never gotta fight with me

bears choice

I like EU more and more as time goes on. Much of it is great live. But, I gotta say, it is the very worst album cover ever.